Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last trip, I had some great highs and some great lows. I’ll at some time add some comments and or put together a trip report from the debauchery of when SJ, The Kid and I were here last. Well, business has brought me back, and while in a meeting / conference call this morning, I figured I’d get a head start on putting together a short report thus far.

I got off the plane and in a scattered manner, figured I’d roll over to the Rio to check out the WSOP. No sooner am I getting out of the car, noticing the parking lot is empty, I realize that the show has not been moved to the Horseshoe. So I get back in the car and roll to Binions. No sooner do I walk through the door at Binions I realize that they are down to the final table, and general spectators are not allowed to clam around the table. They are locked up in the “final table” room” upstairs. So I stroll through to check out the poker room and hear them calling for a last player needed for a $65 sit n go. I figured, well, not that I’m here.

I plunked down and started catching a few hands and was able to get a decent stack after a few orbits. At that point, I sat back and let a few of the others self destruct until it was 3 way, one of them being a short stack. He went all in and got a caller and was sent packing. Heads up and I traded chips for a while until I started going all in every hand just waiting for him to call. I was actually getting playable hand in a heads up situation. He called one of them and flipped over a naked ace against my 9/10 suited. I caught runner runner heart to make the flush and that was that.

As I’m getting out of my chair, I hear (again) on the overhead, “any players interested in the $125 sit n go, please go to table x___”
I take my chip winnings over to the table and plunk down to round out the table. Same game, different faces. I ended up doing the same thing on that table. When we got down to the two of us, the chips passed fourth and back and there wasn’t really any stride for a finish. We decided to chop and go home.

In town 3 hours, up $900 and some change, and the tourney thing seems to be working. Head back to the house and get some sleep. Meetings all day Friday, so I’m tapped out of commission for a table game until late afternoon or early evening.

To tourney or not to tourney? That was the question most of the day. Where did I want to concentrate my time and maximize my earnings.

After getting out of the office / meetings / business blah blah blah, I got something to eat with my Brother, went back to the house and relaxed for a while, still being tired, I wanted to at least get an hour or so power nap prior to hitting the tables again.

I decided that the tables at the Wynn were, as every time I’ve been there, are juicier than a Georgia peach and are always ripe for the picking. I got on the list for the 1/3, 2/5 NL games and the 8/16 with 8/16 being my preference as the table was moving quickly and turnover was rather fast which leads me to believe that it’s a pretty active table, lots of action and lots of people getting back into the hip and pocket savings and loan to keep checks on the table. My second choice was the 1/3 NL game. Reports have it that the game is very lose and very beatable. More so than the 2/5 game. Reason being, although some don’t care for the $3 chip, it’s a loser game, because of the smaller chip initially, however the pots are built just as big as others. People will spend $3 five times but won’t call with red chips. Beats me.

When I sat down on the $8/16 table, it was like you could see all the tells and betting patters from across the room. I saw Jim and Gloria, two players who were there at the same game on my last visit. It seemed we had an unspoken agreement that we’d stay our of each others way unless we were really serious about tangling with one another with monster hands.

I was on the table by about 8 and ended up playing about 7 or so hours. The game was soft, and you knew who to table with and who was playing a strong hand. The poker hosts would continue to bring new blood to the table and the chip runners would always have a fresh supply of checks for the players that hit the felt. I was playing a pretty tight game to begin with and loosened up with the table as needed to accommodate for the players and the pots I was getting in. Took a few down uncontested, took a few down after being reraised, and made my way to the showdown with a 2nd or 3rd best hand that I missed. There were quads on the table 3 times through the session. One of them which costs me 8 big bets. I had the nut full house and he turned over the nuts. Win some lose some. There was another time later when I was in a hand and flopped two pair. I had pocket 10’s and raised from late position. Early position called. Flop came 88A and early position checks, I bet, he raises..... I get off the hand, someone reraises, reraise, cap, and then the turn comes out. Same thing, river, same thing. They have built a huge pot. I knew I was beat at the flop with any 8, any Ace and or any pocket J, Q, or K. Sure enough the dude turns over pocket 8’s to show quads and had two other players betting into him like it was their job.

There were a few times where I was getting weird responses on my action. One time, I’d flop a full house and get raised by people all around, and the next time, I’d lead out with a bet and everyone would fold. It was odd. I was laughing about it on one hand and said to the dude sitting across the table from me “When I flop a full house I never get action on it” to which he replies “You think I just stated playing this game yesterday? I got a read on you” OK, what ever..... who’s checks am I still stacking from the last hand? How many racks are you in to this game? Shut the fuck up or sell stupid next door. The interesting thing about this guy was he was a decent player. Very very loose. Although he was taking pots down and would build a stack up and then lose it, rebuy, build a nice stack, and then get on this lose, reraise with bottom pair or naked ace trip he was on and burn chips. I guessed that he would go from one end of tilt to the next in these chip stack swings he was going though.

3 AM rolls around, I just paid the blinds, my stack is where I want it, I’m starting to get tired, and I always have to remind myself when to stop playing. I’ve been on a great run for the night, take it and go. Play until the blinds come back to you and rack out. Which is exactly what I did. I stacked 7 racks of chips for a final cash out of $1330. A nickel to the dealer, two for the poker host up front, one for the hottie at the players desk who comped me a couple of tickets to the Wynn buffet and a couple for the garden café and and nickel for the valet on my way out the door.

If that table were closer, I’d probably make a run at it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Glad to here you guys had better luck than me.

I didn't see any indication of "easy" tables while I was playing. There were a few stretches when the table loosened up, but I didn't find that to be the "norm" for my time there.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You were on NL tables, which I am usually, however this trip I wanted to stick to limit, $8/16 or above. Had they ran a $10/20 game I would have possibly moved to that if the conditions were right.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Glad to hear that you had good luck at the Wynn this time around. SJ and I had very good luck overall at the 8/16 game, which seemed to be the most beatable game at that level in Vegas. I made probably $600 or so at the 8/16, but could have made more had I not loosened up or went over to play 15/30 at Bellagio.

The hottie hostess that comped you buffet tickets... was she a little blond gal with great legs? Man, she was a cutie...

Well, sounds like you're back on your game, I knew it wouldn't be too long. We should all go out and play sometime... I know SJ and I are thinking about going down to LA to play in the Bicycle Classic tournies that run in late July. Let us know.

-David

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is who was setting me up with comps.

I'm still down here on business. My borhter and I macked it up at the buffet in the Wynn lat night. I'm not usually a fan of the buffet, but this was 100% top notch excellent! Everything you could imagin they had, and they had it in style. 2 comps to the buffet was $60.00.

I didn't play last night because I was way too tired after working all day and the prior days sessions.

I'm thinking I might hit it up again tonight before I get out of town.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good luck with the tables. let me know when you're back in Sac and we can run over to Eldo sometime and hit up that super juicy 6/12 game... man that game was beatable even after 3 jack and cokes!! can't wait to get back there

-david

1 - 6 of 6 Posts