Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, used to host a regular poker game out of my garage every weekend. Sometimes I'd have a game on Friday AND Saturday night. Low stakes - $20 tourney - 8 to 10 players. Good fun mostly.

Anyhow, I got this wild idea to finish the garage - drywall, carpet, lighting, the whole 9 yards. Yah - what a GREAT idea, right? I mean, how hard can doing drywall and paint be?

Ugh.

So it's been about 4 months or so since I've started this project. Still need to FINISH the drywall (about 4 or 5 sheets total), tape and texture it, paint, get the carpet put down, install the track lighting and ceiling fan, and about a million other "little" things to do. Unfortunately I'm fresh out of motivation. I really wanted to get this all done in a timely manner - and it's not really a lack of money so much as it is a lack of interest at this point.

Sadly, I really miss my poker games. I haven't hosted one for a VERY long time, and have only attended a couple.

So here I sit - in teh garage - playing poker online - and typing this up. Well done, eh?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Get off your ass and finish your room! You obviously don't know how lucky you are to have space to build a permanent poker room. I'd have had that project done in about 2 days if I had the space.

Don't know what else to tell ya bud. It's not like you haven't been getting any invites to our games.....

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know man - and I really appreciate the invites - I hope that is understood.

I just don't know WTF my prob is. It's almost like a poker slump or something. I have all this potential, but that is where it sits - potential. On a more positive note, I have a guy who is gonna T&T for me this weekend or next weekend - THAT should properly motivate me to finish I think.

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here's a quick update on my progress.

Friday night, a buddy of mine came up and helped me gut the entire garage - I had no idea you can cram so much CRAP into a 2 car garage. Well, we got about 99% of the stuff out (left the poker table, the fridge, the washer/dryer, and poker table in for now). Got to bed about 12:30 or so.

Saturday morning, met up with a couple of different buddies at Gold Miner for a power breakfast about 7:30am. We ate, then hit Home Depot. Picked up some stuff and headed back to the house. Finished up the drywall 100% (took about 3 hours) and started taping. Have all of the walls taped with their first coat. It took most of the day, but it's coming along nicely. Knocked off about 8:30 or so.

This morning, it's gonna be me and one other guy finishing the ceiling, then throwing some texture up. IF time permits, we're gonna give 'er a coat of paint today too.

I am sooooooo fuggin sore. I'm really not used to this kind of work, as I am in IT, and work on computers most of the day. Good exercise, but a very demanding project thus far.

I'm not sure if I'll ever attempt something like this again tho. At first it seemed like a great idea, but seeing it in your mind and actually doing the work are two entirely different things LOL! I'm still getting pretty excited to see the finished product tho, and it's keeping me motivated.

Hell, at least I was too busy to rent that joke they called the Tyson fight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice progress for one days work.

I think it's pretty obvious where your mind is :wink:
The Modfather said:
we got about 99% of the stuff out (left the poker table , the fridge, the washer/dryer, and poker table in for now). Got to bed about 12:30 or so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm working on my garage right now...did you close in your front "roll up" door? I'm trying to figure out if I want to do that to mine. :D

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CheckRaiser said:
I'm working on my garage right now...did you close in your front "roll up" door? I'm trying to figure out if I want to do that to mine. :D
No, I didtn' close it in due to coding issues. With the door there, it's still a garage, and not considered "living area". However, I did put another side door on the garage for easier access :)

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deuces Empty said:
Nice progress for one days work.

I think it's pretty obvious where your mind is :wink:
[quote="The Modfather":2e9seb6e] we got about 99% of the stuff out (left the poker table , the fridge, the washer/dryer, and poker table in for now). Got to bed about 12:30 or so.
[/quote:2e9seb6e]

haha crap - Nice catch :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Modfather said:
No, I didtn' close it in due to coding issues. With the door there, it's still a garage, and not considered "living area". However, I did put another side door on the garage for easier access :)
I'm thinking of taking out the tracks and the garage door opener motor so I can put in a ceiling fan. Once I get the room done I don't plan on opening up the large door ever again. I don't want to "advertise" all the stuff inside. :D

I already have a side door that leads to my side yard and have a door that leads into the house.

I see that you are going to "insulate" the garage door and install a swamp cooler and heater. I still need to figure out what kind of climate control to go with.

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CheckRaiser said:
The Modfather said:
I'm thinking of taking out the tracks and the garage door opener motor so I can put in a ceiling fan. Once I get the room done I don't plan on opening up the large door ever again. I don't want to "advertise" all the stuff inside. :D

I already have a side door that leads to my side yard and have a door that leads into the house.

I see that you are going to "insulate" the garage door and install a swamp cooler and heater. I still need to figure out what kind of climate control to go with.
Dude - one piece of advice: leave the door track up there. Lose the old-school "bar-type" garage door opener and get a Wayne Dalton idrive. It is a motor that mounts to the header. Here is a decent pic of it on their site: http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

This will allow you to open the garage as needed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's my current progress....

Floor (epoxy) has been finished along with the walls/ceiling painted. I threw the bar together and dropped the table and piano in the room. I still need to pick up some sort of foosball or bubble-hockey game and an arcade game or two. Also I need to put all the wall decorations up and install the audio/video system. Everything needs to be done by July 2nd because I'm hosting a BBQ Poker Tournament. :D

The picture looks a little distorted because it's a stiched panaramic and I didn't take images of the floor infront of all the stuff. The picture make the room look a lot more cramped than it is. I still have a good 14' x 12' section that is right infront of me that isn't being shown. (hope that make sense). What do you think so far?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sweet! I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

I'm the kind of guy who needs 12 garages. My garage serves as a wood shop/motorcycle maint. shop/driving range/poker room/vehicle storage so I just couldn't make that kind of permanent commitment to the space. It'd be nice to just set things up and leave them, but just don't have the option at this time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
CheckRaiser said:
Here's my current progress....

Floor (epoxy) has been finished along with the walls/ceiling painted. I threw the bar together and dropped the table and piano in the room. I still need to pick up some sort of foosball or bubble-hockey game and an arcade game or two. Also I need to put all the wall decorations up and install the audio/video system. Everything needs to be done by July 2nd because I'm hosting a BBQ Poker Tournament. :D

The picture looks a little distorted because it's a stiched panaramic and I didn't take images of the floor infront of all the stuff. The picture make the room look a lot more cramped than it is. I still have a good 14' x 12' section that is right infront of me that isn't being shown. (hope that make sense). What do you think so far?

holy crap, matt I didn't even know you were a member of this site till I saw this same pic on EMW

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL....yeah, it was a tough decision to give up the garage but I usually just stored my race car and a bunch of junk in it anyway. I bought a real nice shed for the side yard for the junk and put the race car under a carport (also on the side yard). We're used to parking our cars in the driveway so it won't be that big an issue. I figure this is the best way to put the garage to good use.

So I guess I'll have to host a BYOC/AKA poker night one of these weekends...that is IF you guys wouldn't mind the drive down to Manteca :cool:

Just wait until the audio/video system gets put in...two 42" plasmas and one 52" video wall for the tournament director. :shock:

·
Registered
17 Posts
PS: Modfather...I don't mean to highjack your thread. I just figured that me sharing my experiences will help give you the motivation you asked for in the first post. 8)

Any new progress?

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CheckRaiser said:
PS: Modfather...I don't mean to highjack your thread. I just figured that me sharing my experiences will help give you the motivation you asked for in the first post. 8)

Any new progress?
ahhahah!!! No worries dude - you should see the amount of hijacking that goes on in the forum I run - It's crazy!

Anyhow, yah - there has been some progress, but with that progress came some major set backs.

I have the entire room taped and textured - but unfortunately the ceiling looks like something a 3rd grader did. It's pretty jagged. I have some pix - for those who dare.

http://www.modfather.org/ghey

·
Registered
17 Posts
My walls and ceiling look the same way and they were done when the home was built. It's like the contractor said "what the hell it's only the garage anyway". LOL

Don't worry about it...just remember that when it's all done it will look A LOT better than 99% of the garages out there. 8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Deuces Empty said:
Any updates Modfather/checkraiser?
My garage is nearly done. I have the TVs up and the audio system all wired. I just need to hang all the decorations, build my "bar-back" shelving and finish up on my MAME cabinet. I figure I'll be done by the next tourney I'm hosting on August 13th. I'll take some updated pictures and post them up tomorrow if I get a chance. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts