Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aftre a couple hous break I decide to get back in the fray; after all that's why I'm there. AS I wander in, there's Cowboy with a mountian of chips. I'm 14th on the list but they're about to open a third 1/3 table. I scouted the same table I had been on the previous 2 sessions but get seated at a table that I'm surprised to learn was 1 /3 game. It was at Cowboy's table. He was called to start a new 2/5 game as I was leaving so I expectd it to be one of the 2/5 games.

I have a choice of seats and choose the one dirrectly to Cowboy's left. My $100 buy-in is only comperable to one other stack. Everyone else has $200-$800 in front of them. I pretty much sit and watch for several orbits. I bled a little with no success, and decide to chip up when I get down to about $40. Again waiting, waiting, waiting. There were a couple of players that were hard to read, and for the most part, they were the ones I was real careful of. Cowboy and Worm Local Guy WLG. (he kind of reminded me of Worm in looks and style).

I had called a PFR with TT. The pot had been raised by Fat Albert (a big black kid at the other end of the table). I had seen Fat Albert push an overcard flush draw way too hard and felt he could easily just have 2 over cards. Cowboy had noticed that I had yet to drag a pot and I tell him that I had not drug a pot all day (which was true). JUst as the dealer is rolling out the flop, he says "Well maybe this'll be the one." The flop came 3 under cards (876) and I reply "Maybe it is!" with a big grin and shove my $120 all-in. Timing couldn;t have been better.

Fat Albert went in to the tank, with an obviuously tough decision. LUckily he wasn't overburdened with chips as he finally put me on a set and threw away his KK face up. "Nice laydown" I say mucking my cards and trying not to "GULP!" outloud as I was stacking my chips.

A few orbits later a got TT again and called a PFR from one of the looser players. The flop came Txx. I was in early position (I never seemed to get any decent cards anywhrer but in early position which makes for a tough session. I check it to PFR who bets, gets a couple callers and I shove. PFR folds as do most, but I get a call from a new guy who had AT. My set holds up and I'm now a up about a rack for the session, feeling a little better.

Very next hand form the BB, I get motown and get to see the flop for free. The flop is T55. I check it to WLG (2 seats to my left) who bets he gets a call and I c/r my trips. He pauses and calls, the rest fold. The turn is a Q. I bet $60 and he calls immediately. Hmmm. River is a T. I had put WLG on a big T and didnot like the looks of this card. Imadr the rooky mistake of making it obvious to the whole world that I didn't like the card and checked. WLG shoves and he has me covered with no problem. "He mumbles something about "position, man" and I just go away. If he had not said that I would have pondered tha call, but it felt like he was trying to bait me into a call for the chop. As I was going over this hand a few hours later, I think I may have mucked half the pot. At the time, I thought he was chasing top pair down, but I think he was too good of a player to have done that. Aftre lot's of pondering on the hand, I was fairly certain that he had a 5 as well and that I likely would have rivered half the pot. This is the only hand of my entier trip that I feel I played poorly. I only dropped about $100 so it wasn't disasterous.

After a little more bleeding and parying I finally get my chance to dance with the Cowboy. Cowboy is quite a character. HE acts like he has way too much money for the lower staked games. "I'm just here to have fun." when I asked why he wasn't up beating up on the bigger games. HE is somewhat of a local legend and every local knows that "Cowboy Up!" means all-in. This guy is a real piece of work and makes for a real lively game. It's hard to believe that he is a long term winner, but all evidence points to the opposite. He is damn near an any two cards player and will frequently raise with any 2 suited or any Ace.

Unfortunately today. He was hitting lot's of hand and crushing lot's of players. While his play seems foolish from any "by the book" standard, he knew what he was up to. He's from the "old school" and I imagine that it would have felt much the same to have Dolly or Slim at the table with us. If he's in a hand that he's not pushing (rare), he'll say i guess you all got nothing" and make a big bet. It usually took the pot down right there. I commented to WLG (who has played with him a bunch and seems to be one of Cowboy's banner carriers) that he sure seems to catch a lot of hands. "Yeah, Cowboy seems to have a way to get the cards he needs." He was running lucky for sure, but was also making a little of his luck.

On to the "dance". I get JTo in LP and get to see the flop with just a limp. The flop comes a pretty ugly KQx all of diamonds. Surprisingly, it's checked around and I have position. The turn brings an A giving me the nut straight. It's checked all the way to cowboy who makes a pot sized bet. I knew he didn't have a flush - slow play is not in his game - and I put him on an Ax because he liked to play his aces big. I figured it was about a 50/50 chance that he would even call (He had shown a little reso\pect if I stepped up a little. LIke a cok\cky litttle fool I mocked "Cowboy Up!" and shoved $200 + in to a ~$120 pot. Everyone between me and cowboy scampered like mice when the cat shows up, but Cowboy would have none of that. He pulls his chips out and matches my stacks exactly, lays a $100 bill on top of my $100 bill and calls. He flips up Ax, the Ace of course being the diamond. I can well imagine that you ALL KNOW that the river brought the 8 diamonds giving him a riverd suckout flush. He just laughed and started stacking my chips. I don't think he understood that it was a bad call (from a mathematical perspective) and likely didn't care. Most of the rest of the table understood what just happened, but he ws just having too much fun. I didn't say anything but nice hand and took it pretty well, though I did hang my head a bit. "Hell I had top pair and nut flush draw. I HAD to call."

Well, that really knocked the wind out of my sails. I sat back for a few hands deciding if i was ready for more pounishment at that time. I finished my cocktail, wished the table luck -" All except you Cowboy :wink: - you've had enough luck for a while." I patted him on the back and he gave me a little wink and I was off for another break, planning to come back after dinner. As frustrating as it was to go down the way i did, I have to admnit that it was a good experience playing with th Cowboy - as I said, I believe it would have been a very similar experience to finding some of the old schoolers at my table.

Went back to the room took another showere, tried to nap and had some dinner. Planning on leaving the next morning I knew it would have to be an earlky night so I could get some pre !00 hours in on the road. I got back over to the Wynn at about 6:30. There were 3 full 1/3 games going and I was 17 down. I had a headacne coming on so I walked back s\across the street o get some aspirin and returned a half hour later. THe list hadn't budged. I asked for a pager, but they were all out. I went around the corner to the Sport's Book and set down to watch the end of the all-star game. I checked in a few times and I had made a little progress on th list but it wasn't looking good. After the all-star game (About 8:30) I went back to see I was still 7 down and decided to pack it in - iI didn't figure I had enough time to get anything but more stuck in 3-4 hours.

Went back across the street played a little "Let It Ride" (the only table game I'll spend any time on) for an hour and headed up to pack and get to bed.

I was disapointed with the time I got to spend at at tha tables. I got a good 8 hour session in on Sunday night, but only logged about 3 or 4 hours on Monday. Despite my fairly bad luck, I fell that I played as well as possible (except for the one hand with WLG) and just kind of left shaking my head. I really hate to keep "blaming" bad luck for bad sessions, but I really don't know what else to call it. I'm playing solid, making well timed plays and just wind up with the short end of the stick. It's not like losing lots of pots with kicker problems or any thing like that.

My overall impression of Vegas is that it's just too hectic for me.Short of a big group trip, I doubt I'll make any great pains to go back. There's plenty of action around here.

Next: The Road Trip

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I gotta ask, and I have to tell you, when I read your trip reports, I read things that surprise me. Now, it may be a different style of play, but I'll throw this out there.

Do you think that if you raised with your J/10o you would have gotten any players out of the hand? Granted, if "Sowboy" wasn't in the hand, you wouldn't have gotten paid as much, but I think of it like this.

J/10o, A decent starting hand, not premium, but a very strong drawing hand, which gets evern more attractive in later position. I'm curious as to what a raise would have done. Would have it gotten him off his hand? Possibly? He was a long way to make a flush and was fishing with a naked ace. Perhaps a preflop raise would have moved him. Then, post flop, you have the nut open ended straight which (I personally) would value bet with some caution to see if I get raised by someone who possibly made a set, top two, etc. Turn was your case card, which gave you your made hand, and the opportunity to bet everyone else out of the hand to get away from drawing to a flush, especially, being that a flush would have had to been runner runner to get there.

Again, I respect your play, your raises, and am not saying you played it wrong, I just ponder the question 'what raises would do for your game' in those situations.

On a lighter note, how bout those nice thick padded ultra comfy chairs in that room? I've never been more comfortable in a chair at a poker table.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting input Quads. I guess the next question would be, will you lose more raising that hand in position and missing than you would make?

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
That's the $1,000,000 question.
I think that goes along with the dynamics of the table, but I think if you are betting and representing the strongest hand, you will take down (all beit, perhaps) a smaller pot.

I think in the long run, it's a winning bet. But I think it also somes down to style and prefernce of play.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in early position and I wouldn't have raised enough to get Cowboy off an Ace. He likes his Aces I like JT to make big hand on the board, not preflop, most of the time. As a rule, JT is not a rasing hand for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts