The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you are heading up to Reno for the Pot of Gold series of tourneys running from 10-7 thru 10-17 ? Also the Peppermill 2004 Fall Poker Tournament is running from 11-13 thru 11-21.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I am planning on trying to hit both

·
Registered
267 Posts
Peppermill 2004 Fall Poker Tournament is running from 11-13 thru 11-21.
Dumb question:

How does this work? Do you plan to stay for the week and just go home if you bust out? What about the WSOP 2005? Thats 6 weeks of every day play?

Inquiring minds....

Rob

·
Registered
732 Posts
Like the WSOP, the Pot of Gold is a series of tourneys over the week long span. There is a couple tourneys a day. I plan on going for a Saturday and Sunday and playing in a couple of the tourneys.

The WSOP has 33 separate events over the month and none of them last longer than about 4 days in length. Most are only a day or two.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Pot of Gold may be at Hilton, but I'm not sure. You could probably get details by just searching for Reno Poker Tournaments.

(I can't do that here at work - all those sites are blocked.)

One thing I'd reccommend if you're serious about going is to get registered as early as possible. I was toying with the idea of going to the Peppermill tourney this spring. The seats were sold about 3 or 4 weeks before the tourney and they don't really have the ability to expand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pot of gold schedule and buy-ins

Araymond if you go to cardplayer.com then click on "tournaments", "upcoming tournaments" and then scroll down you will see the pot-o-gold listed in October and below that you will see the Peppermill tourney listed in November. They have the schedule of events and buy-ins for the Pot-o-gold tournies but the Peppermill info has not been posted yet. As for location you will see that the POG is held at the Hilton in Reno.

·
Registered
267 Posts
For the newbies among us:

What is it like to play in a tournament larger than, say, 22 people?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's much the same as our tournies except that:

1) There's probably a few more solid players (maybe even some better than me, if you can believe that :wink: ) than you'll find in our group. More players = more solid players. There will probably be a lot of dead money type players. I'd guess the proportion would be something like:

10% Tough players (pros, semi pros, serious tourney players)
30% Solid/Wanna-be/half-a-clue players (like most of us)
60% Dead money fish

2) If you do well, you'll experience a lot of table changes. That means you'll find a new set of problems than the previous table. You'll need to get quick reads on people.

3) You'll have to outlast many more people to get near the money. (You'll have to be very lucky and hope your skill doesn't get trumped by someone running very lucky.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts