Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they are not finished yet but i had to share what was done so far. the chip rails are done in the pete fashion with dividers with chip inserts. the chip rail is ash. the pedestals are oak and the table topper is oak plywood with edge banding. i intentionally offset the skirting to make it look more like a true dining room table. the padded rails(yet to be upholstered) are easily removable and the two table slide together and the topper fits snugly over both with the skirting hiding the platform/chip rail thickness. questions? suggestions? i do need ideas on how to upholster the rail. my buddy has the yat ostrich vinyl and i think i am going to have it sewn in six pieces(to match the chip rail look) and then installed. i don't think i can possible stretch the material without showing wrinkles on the sides. he also got the custom dyed cloth from dave. final pix will be posted when done. we also built some custom drink stands and when final pix are taken will show those also.

thanks!

scott
this pix is the first fit after making the chip rail

next is a pix of the twins and the thickness of the padded rail

next is a top view of soon to be upholstered padded rail sitting on the chip rail

next is a more detailed view of the chip rail with the dividers and chip inserts

another view of the chip rail and the thickness of the padded rail

next is a view of the topper

last and end view of the topper

here is the underside of the topper after varnish applied

first coat varnish on topper top

side of topper

end of topper

one of the twins without the padded rail

close up of one of the twins without padded rail

the twins side by side without padded rails

close up of twins showing detail of chip rails/chip inserts

padded rail wrapped with saran wrap(to keep sawdust off of it and also to make sure the adhesive holds the foam. it sits lower on the table but with the saran wrap it won't. it will be getting upholstered soon.

lastly, the two padded rails awaiting upholstery. one is face down the the other is face up. you can see the thickness of the side of the rail making it necessary to have the ostrich nuvinyl seamed to allow no wrinkles on the side.

comments? questions? i will post final pix after the varnishing is done and the upholstery is finished. with the final pix of the twins/topper i will include the modified drink stands we made.

remember the padded rail makes them both 48". the padded rails are removable, the twin tables then slide together and a topper goes on. sounds really simple, but was fraught with engineering problems that were eventially overcome. it took 200 man hours to make the table for my buddy. any idea of value for it guys? comments? suggestions?

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here are the pix.

drinkstands are a variation of someone elses design.

now some table pix: and thanks to dave at custompokerfelts for a wonderful job on the felt.

take off the padded rails(they fit tight but just slide off)

then the topper fits on the twin tables when slid together

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

was just moving threads from tables I had completed before..this one finished 16 months ago.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay J P, I have now been inspired. This is the 2nd time I have seen this table and I remember the first time I saw it I was impressed. I have officially become impressed and inspired. Awesome work! Now, is the table topper difficult to make? Are the details on how to build it measurements/materials over at Scott's? Again, awesome table!

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay J P, I have now been inspired. This is the 2nd time I have seen this table and I remember the first time I saw it I was impressed. I have officially become impressed and inspired. Awesome work! Now, is the table topper difficult to make? Are the details on how to build it measurements/materials over at Scott's? Again, awesome table!
thanks for the kind comments. The topper is not hard to make once you know the process. I had to do some trial and error, but I like the results. It looks like a real dining room table without the thick edge banded edge that alot of toppers have.

no measurements on Scotts.....this is the complete builder thread. PM me for more details if you want them

P.S...I could hardly answer this as I was entranced by your avatar. Please tell me it is someone you know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.