Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my basement reno, I was given the task of taking on upgrading some of the rooms upstairs.

That was almost two years ago (the first year was a break to relax and enjoy the man cave; the second has been utter procrastination). To get myself in gear, I made myself a deal that when I finish the tasks, I'll allow myself to rebuild my poker tables and sell off the originals. Now I have a goal.

Since I've got a few things I'll be working on for a while -- painting, new flooring, etc. -- and they're really smaller jobs compared to a basement reno, I decided to put anything of interest in this one thread instead.

Patching the walls in the kids' rooms. The youngest has a number of dings but the eldest... well, this has to be seen.

The left wall had push-pins holding everything from posters to mini-sticks to pucks; the window wall had words and names scratched into the paint.

The right wall was another party of dings with a circle scratched into the paint. The kid still doesn't know why/what he was drawing at the time.

He wants a team colour on the wall but, annoyingly, Home Depot -- the official carrier of NHL colours -- is some 5 years out of synch with his favorite team's new colours. We've tried matching to paint chips but it's just too far off: home shades are so pastel and safe.

Instead, we've ordered the other half of his room's decor: a fathead logo to go on the wall. Once we get that, we'll do a colour match on that and go from there.

I did a mock up to ensure he was going to be happy with the results.

Spoiler:

Kids these days...

·
aka, "Senior Mierda"
5,798 Posts
CAPS! CAPS! CAPS! until the playoffs, then we're one and done.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Good luck with red....its gonna take a few coats

I already have a rule with wife & son
NOTHING gets tacked/nailed or attached to the walls without my approval
Wifey already put up some of that "non-stick" little adhesives & they were discoloring sons bedrooms walls AFTER I just redid the whole room
Prior to redoing his room she put up some of those "easy to remove adhesive" hooks to hang something up
When removed they peeled the paint off the trim :mad:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
C A P S CAPS CAPS CAPS!

I'd try to convince him to do an old school caps. Like they did for the winter classic. the stars could go all the way around the room with a capitals logo somewhere in the middle. Save yourself from all the red paint.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know *I'm* already angst-ridden: working with red paint sucks. This may be my own fault/inexperience with bright colours and primer...

The walls in both rooms were primed with two coats and seemed good enough to go forward. I've put down three coats of red and the underlying base is still showing through: bright areas of primer on patched drywall contrasted against darker areas where blue previously existed. Compare that with the other room's single coat of beige/brown and it's apparent that two coats will be nice (three, if we really feel like it but probably unnecessary).

Research suggests red tint actually thins the base paint and makes it more translucent. Suggestions are also to either tint the paint red (which makes it pinkish and possibly less effective) or grey (better under-coat coverage and helps with darkening, as opposed to white primer).

Rather than continue with 6-8 coats of red (and not being sure it will end there), I think I'm going to reprime with a grey-tinted primer. I'll put down 2-3 coats until it's a perfectly even surface and then start with the red again. Based on how I've seen it go on a dark background (the less-than-perfectly primed blue wall), it should look good with a 2-3 coat coverage because the primer coat is even.

What a wasted weekend...

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
What brand paint are you using ?
Hint: Behr sucks
We used a pinkish primer & probably 3-4 coats of Behr red

Primered:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What brand paint are you using ?
Hint: Behr sucks
We used a pinkish primer & probably 3-4 coats of Behr red
CIL. Behr was avoided.

Here's a snapshot of the one wall I originally highlighted... the drywall patch contrast is still visible under two coats of paint here.

I have a feeling this is at a cusp: it could be done in almost as many coats of red as I'm going to do with 2 of grey primer and 2+ of red again. I'm liking a grey primer over red-tint (aka pinkish) because the red should be darker rather than lighter.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I'm reading this and cringing.
I need to paint the master bath after I'm done in the dinning room. Wifey picked out the paint, and a primer / sealer. It's "white" for the sake of this conversation. The paint on the walls now is damn near eggplant.

I'm thinking I'm going to need 2 or 3 coats of sealer, then prolly two coats of paint at a min. She didn't get Behr. Bought it at Lowes. So whatever their high end label is. Olympic?

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the plus side, the second bedroom is going just fine.

My paranoia meter's sensitivity has been dialed way up from the red room (REDRUM!) so even seeing wet paint (lighter) over drier paint (darker) was making me think the coverage wasn't happening.

Thankfully, time is proving me out. A picture of the wall this evening is pointless by itself (the coverage is nice and even) so I figure this four frame animation will illustrate things better...

I plan to do a third and final coat using only the rollers: I cut into the corners twice so far and I figure I'll just roll up to them a third time using a mini-roller to cover the brush strokes.

If all goes well, the youngest is back in his room this weekend.

As an aside, he's been enjoying his new digs for the past month...

Spoiler:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Second bedroom done.

It went from baby blue walls and Winnie the Pooh framed prints (sorry, no actual pics available)...

...to earthy brown and exotic cars. All choices made by the boy. The first pic is more indicative of the colour; the other two are a bit washed out.

Red Room has been prepped with two coats of tinted primer and, except for one spot where a bubble appeared (OCD! OCD!), the room has a perfect prison-quality grey to it.

In the past, I've always cut all my corners then rolled over top of that. After the first coat, you couldn't tell where the overlap was. I expect this was because most paint colours (if they're not cheap brands) have a decent hide.

Tonight, I am going to put my coats on using a method I've found others have done but I've never: one wall at a time. I'll cut the corners and then roll while that paint is still wet. My hope is that this method will reduce any layering effect by the more translucent red.

This room *will* be slayed.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
We just painted our daughters room and thought I would share a tip I have been doing on all my paint jobs lately.... caulk the tape with a clear, paintable caulk. You don't need much, and you almost wipe it all off. It makes the job take longer, but it produces perfectly clean paint lines.... (maybe you already knew this). I have knockdown texture, and this method prevents any bleeding (and me having to go back with a tiny paint brush).

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
You can caulk the tape, or do what's called backpaint it.
You lay your tape down, paint the color of the paint in which you already have to seal it, then paint your new color on top of it. That way when you paint your (presumably) darker color on the paint, you already have it sealed with the backpaint that filled the cracks on the tape.

Same effect (affect) on the clear caulk. You're using it to seal the little tiny cracks between the tape and the wall so your painted on color doesn't bleed through.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts