Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

Which type of tourney would you prefer?

• Heads up tourney.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regular "Freezeout" Tourney (no rebuys)

• I'd play either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With summer over, I think we can start counting on enough participation to throw together a decent tourney. I'm looking ahead a little to 10/22 or 10/29.

The heads up tourney went well, but not sure if people would prefer a "normal" tourney or another heads up. PLease repsond to the poll if you care. I'm thinking of something in the neighborhood of a $40-$50 buy-in level.

I'll leave the poll running for 3 weeks and make the call mid October.

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
I'd be in for a freeze-out -- but my max buy-in would be around the $50 range.

Would like to know what the blind structure and starting chip stack is too. I'm not a fan of the short stack/quick blinds turbo tourneys so much.

But yah - I'm interested :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
although I play very little now that school is back in session, id be down for a saturday afternoon tourney. i think $50-$100 buyin would be proper to allow 2 tables of action and wouldnt scare too many folks away. the heads up tourney was fun, but its been awhile since we've had a good, 2-3 table freezeout like days of past. i could probably get 1 or 2 people who'd be interested as well, if needed.

-david

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would like to know what the blind structure and starting chip stack is too. I'm not a fan of the short stack/quick blinds turbo tourneys so much.
Me niether. Typically a freezeout tourney will start with 1000-1500 stacks and blinds at 25/50. We generally do 20 minute rounds - we've found that we get a little time to be patient, but gets things done in a reasonable time. I'm a fan of a reasonably deep payout - I try to payout 1 place for every 4 entrants, with the winner getting the lion's share of course, but last place gets at least double the entry fee.

I'd have no problem putting together a longer tourney, say with bigger stacks if people want to focus on a tourney only type of day. We usually like to get one table free for cash games, but I'm open to having a tourney only event.

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
Hagar said:
We usually like to get one table free for cash games, but I'm open to having a tourney only event.
Agreed - once a few ppl bust out, you can use the open table for a cash game.

Eager to get more details :)

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I'd be game for a larger type tourney.

Something with starting stacks in the 5K range, 30 or 40 minute rounds and blinds starting at 25/25. I'd favor a $100 buy in, and of course, me being a booty building junkie, I'd also favor rebuys. My preference would be that this is a 2 to 3 table event to make it worth the time ivested in relation to the payout, and the buyin.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd have no problem running a big stack, longer blinds type tourney, if that's what the crowd calls for. I'd likely keep the buy-in down in the $50 range (seems to be the cutoff point for chance at a big crowd) and of course, I don't favor rebuy tournies (you know that) so it would be a freeze out.

Typically, rebuy tournies tend to be much smaller stacked/faster tourneies anyway.

I obviously can't control how many folks will show, but I have no problem setting up for a 3 table event if we can draw that many people. We'd be able to payout 6-7 places with 30 bodies and we could even stretch to 33 if we wanted which would get us in the pay 8 range by my preferences.

I'll wait until I get more feedback, but I'll start looking into a longer term tourney. It wold have to be an all day thing if we're starting with 5K stacks AND extending the blind periods, but I like the concept.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
This is of course your game, but I'll add thoughts and ideas:
I like the 30 peeps tourney, the more the better. Builds the pot bigger. I of course like the rebuy option for the $50. It were $100 perhaps a different story.
I'd prefer to see a payout in this format:
10 to 19 players: 3 spots
20 to 29 players: 4 spots
30 to 39 players: 5 spots
I like that format because it pays and rewards the top players. What's the point in 5th or 6th paying even money? Play your "A" game and get in the money that pays you for playing well over the course of the laung haul.

If it were a $50 buy in, yes, more people would likely attend and not be put off by the $100 buy in. Hoever, the $100 buy in would bring a few others that don't come to most games. (ie, Duncan, etc)

Even at a $50 dollar tourney, I'd still like to see a larger starting stack and a little longer rounds. (say $2500 stack with $25/25 staring blinds and 40 to 45 minute rounds)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quads said:
Even at a $50 dollar tourney, I'd still like to see a larger starting stack and a little longer rounds. (say $2500 stack with $25/25 staring blinds and 40 to 45 minute rounds)
My vote is for a larger stack/longer round tourney as well. I'd prefer the $50 buyin.

Now, wasnt our largest tourney a 30 seater? Didnt that take a bunch of work to put together? Lets say that we get a 30 seater going, how many hours will it take to complete? Or are the larger starting stacks and longer rounds irrelevant to the length of the tourney?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unless you are thinking about an all day tourney, the 40 - 45 minute rounds will take for ever. 30 person tourney with that structure will easily take 6+ hours.

2,500 stack with 30 minute rounds is as high as I would go for an evening tourney but just my opinion. If it is a daytime gig then maybe so. Only problem with those long suckers is it takes longer to start a cash game after the fact if you are planning that as well.

Either way, I will play in any format you come up with.

By the way, played in a 39 person tourney with 10k starting and 25 minute rounds. Blinds started at 100/200. That damn thing took 5 hours, had the worst players imagineable and only paid 4 spots. I took 4th and felt totally unsatisfied for the amount of time I put in to basically get my money back. I personally do not like top-heavy payout structure so make it worth while no matter what format you choose.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were to go with big stacks/longer blinds, I would start it at least by noon, maybe even try for a 10:00 start. I could easily see something like that taking much more than 5 hours to complete.

This would be a first for this style fo us so we'll just have to find out. It seems to me, that the last big tourney we did at my place lasted about 4-5 hours and that was with 1500 start and 20 minute blinds. The math behind 3x+ chips and just 50% more time extracts out to the 12 hour range assuming similar pace of bust outs.

Maybe we could schedule it over two sessions? (Fri night play down to 2 tables/come back saturday and finish?) But this would be difficult for a lot of people so we'd miss some attendance.

Maybe we should try a little smaller crowd to test out this structure a little before trying something big. I'd hate to end up having a 20 hour tourney that we weren't expecting.

As far as a cash game following, that wouldn't be "scheduled" for something that could take all day. If it happens, it happens, but I seem to remember that we had a hard time keeping one cash game going even with 30+ people here, so I think people are too burnt out after a couple hours of tourneying.

I'll chew on it and see if I can figure out a way to give us a little more bang, without getting insane. Perhpas we could go as far as 2K starting stack but stick with the 20 minute rounds for this one. I think sneaking up on a bigger event would be prudent rather than try to make a big jump.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel. Here is a link for possible blind schedule:

http://www.homepokertourney.com/blinds.htm

Personally, I favor a larger (read $100) buy in for a regular tourney (that takes 2+ hours to finish and involves min. of 2 tables) and a smaller (say $40 to $50) for a 1-table SnG (for the purpose of this discussion thread it doesn't apply). My reason is that if someone has to grind 2+ hours the pay day should be a little higher to make it worthwhile. As everyone knows, our BYOC normal structure is that regular tourney starts the poker session and a cash game to follow, the vice versa for the SnG set up (cash game first, tourney to follow.)

Secondly, I would rather have a higher buy in and no rebuys than lower buy in with rebuys.

Thirdly, I would rather have smaller jumps between periods with shorter period than larger jumps with longer period. especially in the early rounds (e.g. I prefer the blinds go up maybe 50% instead of doubling, say an increase from $50/$100 to $75/$150 instead of to $100/$200 but in exchange I would let the period be 20 minutes instead of 30.) Although if we have a larger turnout I wouldn't mind speeding up the game towards the end where blinds double where it is down to 5 or less players.

As far as payouts, I think the following link is fair, although I would fine tune it a little to pay one more place when the no. of players are in the higher range (i.e. pay 5 players when it is closer to 20 and 6 players when it is closer to 30):

http://www.homepokertourney.com/payout.htm

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think $100 buy-in would be preferable, especially if it was a longer tourney. I could see $100 buy-in, $3000-5000 starting stacks, and 30min rounds... that would be a good 6 hour tourney, but it would be lots of fun! No rebuys, but that's just my opinion. $50 would be okay, too, but then we should just do regular stacks and rounds, so we could free up a table for a cash game. Saturday noonish would be ideal... weekdays are bad for me due to school now.

either way, ill be a postive, and depending on the buyin, my roommate would play, too, for $50.

just keep me updated (im sure you will!)

-david

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
Hey Hagar - if a bigger (2+ table) tourney works out, I'd be more than happy to supply the chips - have 1000 low denoms and 1000 large denoms. Let me know!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, but chips are not a problem.

Proposing to run a tourney without everybody wanting to restructure it does seem to be a problem though.......

·
Registered
732 Posts
Like always, just set-up the structure you want and see who comes. I know you have already learned by now, put any type of leading question out there and it will be answered 26 different ways to Tuesday.

Everybody has an opinion as well as a structure that they deem profitable to spend thier time on.

Plan it and hopefully they will come.

·
Registered
732 Posts
By the way, I include myself in that crowd of offering opinions as well. Never said my Shitt don't stink.

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
Hagar said:
Thanks, but chips are not a problem.

Proposing to run a tourney without everybody wanting to restructure it does seem to be a problem though.......

My thought is this: Being that it's your game, you should run it as you see fit. If people dont' like it, then too bad. You won't be able to satisfy 100% of the players 100% of the time.

The tourneys I play @ my house are usually 9-10 players - $20 buy in - T5000 in chips w/ the blinds starting @ 25/50. Games last about 2.5-3 hours each. Our games are lower limit than most, but I'd say that almost (operative word there) all of the players treat it like the final table @ the WSOP :D But I digress....

Just make your game - and the interested parties will come :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being that it's your game, you should run it as you see fit. If people dont' like it, then too bad. You won't be able to satisfy 100% of the players 100% of the time.
I do and I will, but we have a history of getting into pissing matches over over tourney preferences. Trying to open things up to something a little different turns into a storm of "you should do this" and "you should do that" and instead of having constructive discussion about a specific topic, we end up getting opinions about things that weren't even in the discussion. Despite several threads having gotten out of hand in the past, we do it over and over. Gets a little frustrating sometimes.

In this one I asked one simple question: $50ish buy in tourney, Heads up or freezeout?

Responses I got:
"I want $100"
"I want rebuys"
"I want bigger starter stacks"
"I want longer blind periods"

I know they are suggestions intended without malice, but I just don't understand why we can't seem to stick to a given topic. I tend to throw my opinions out for other's events as well, so I'm as guilty as the others to some degree, but when trying to get a consensus on one topic, it doesn't help to muddy the waters with periferal subject matter.

(Sorry, I'm still tilting a little from last night....)

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
heh - I feel your pain man! Regardless, I'm still interested in playing. If that means a $50 w/ $T1000 starting chips and blinds @ 100/200 I'm still in.

Any idea on a timeline for this?

edit: For the record, I voted on a Freeze-Out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts