Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there is a dedicated thread to this, but what's the hype about Kodi? I remember hearing about XMBC back in the day, and that is now Kodi?

I did a quick Google search, and I've read Kodi is 100% legit, but the third party apps(?) you can download within it(?) are not. Most are now using in on the Amazon Fire Stick (version 2?). What's the skinny on all this?

(plus it can't hurt the forum to get a new thread going :cool:)

TYIA

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I've been using a "Kodi box" I ordered from Amazon for at least a couple years. It's basically a very simple computer that runs Android as its Operating System. Think of it as an Android tablet but you need to connect it to a TV. You can run most Android apps, and Kodi is one of them.

Kodi is the new name for XBMC. The developers changed the name a few versions ago because it had evolved so far from XBox that the name didn't make sense anymore. Some argue that the new name doesn't make sense either. :)

It is basically a media player. You point it to media sources and it creates menus, thumbnails, plot rundowns etc. It's just a nice interface for browsing a media library.

Kodi itself doesn't have any media files included with it and the application developers officially condemn using it illegally. But of course, many people use it for viewing illegally downloaded files and many of the available addons will stream content directly from internet sources. With these addons, you don't even have to download a file before playing it.

If you have some movies or TV shows downloaded, you can install Kodi on your PC and try it out. You'll be able to get a feel for the software and decide whether you want to use it on a TV. The software is free, and the addons are free, so if you're curious, go for it.

The new version (v17) looks really great. I'm still using 16.1 because my Android box needs an OS upgrade before I can run the new one, but i've played with it on my PC.

I think quite a few of us here use Kodi, so if you have questions, you're sure to get some answers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using Kodi 16.1 on my Amazon FireStick. I don't have cable, DirectTV or Dish and can still watch all my shows and sporting events with no problems.

I used adbLink software to wirelessly connect to my FireStick and install the APK package. You can google how to install Kodi on a FireStick (my preference) and it's pretty awesome. I also installed it directly on to my laptop for road trips.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^ First post? Welcome, if you're truly a new member. :)

You mention "sports." Like I could view *any* sporting event (White Sox, Hawkeyes are my favs)? I've heard of some people watching PPV UFC fights live for free too?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I don't have very good luck finding stable high quality feeds for live sports but they are there. It's probably something on my end that I haven't done the digging to figure out so don't let that deter you. I use Specto to watch TV shows and movies without a problem.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't have very good luck finding stable high quality feeds for live sports but they are there. It's probably something on my end that I haven't done the digging to figure out so don't let that deter you. I use Specto to watch TV shows and movies without a problem.
Its tough streaming live sports in my experience. You can buy a sports package http://sportsaccess.se/ and use it in the sportsdevil app. I haven't used it in a few years. It was 100 bucks a year (if bought on black Friday) and you could stream any sports including PPV events. I primarily used it for NFL games. The links were a lot more stable using this method. Even then it was a pain in the ass sometimes.

Nuzbin is the one to talk to about this shit.

Different packages work differently pending the area your in. One Channel used to be the nuts. Now it sucks. I use Specto, Pheonix, or Exodus for my shows/movies. Specto seems to work the best for me.

B

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^^ First post? Welcome, if you're truly a new member. :)

You mention "sports." Like I could view *any* sporting event (White Sox, Hawkeyes are my favs)? I've heard of some people watching PPV UFC fights live for free too?
Truly am a new member. I was doing some searching about building a poker table and stumbled upon this site.

I use Phoenix to watch my sporting events. How to Install Phoenix Kodi (Jarvis Krypton)

Inside Phoenix, I go to Phoenix Sports and then Sports Demon LIVE. Inside there, there are multiple different flavors of what you can watch. During NFL season, you can watch any of the live games. Same as NBA, MLB and NHL games. Only live games.

You can also watch other events such as UFC PPV fights and even replays of other fights that you may have missed.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truly am a new member. I was doing some searching about building a poker table and stumbled upon this site.
Well then let me be the first to welcome you aboard. :)

Thanks for your input on Kodi. I'm thinking for $50 for a Fire Stick it might not be too much of a risk just to play with it. Thx everyone.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TotalDonkey, hopefully you visit this thread. Can you elaborate on your set up (link here)?

Like what does "works great" mean? Is the audio digital 5.1 at least? 1080 video? Jittery? Is it a DVR too?

Example: Could I watch all of any of the networks' shows tonight at their original air time?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a quick guide, a little old, but still workable, right from this forum. The Definitive Raspberry Pi Running XBMC Setup Thread - The Perfect Man Cave

At work, right now, so can't elaborate. Google is a good source, though, too. Cheers. Try to get back to you later today. PS. Get a raspberry pi 3, nowadays.
Ok, thank you. So basically what TotalDonkey has is something similar, but in a nice, neat package? Kinda? (XMBC is now Kodi?)

Q's thread is from like light years ago based on technology standards... Does it all still apply? (I can't see his photos)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know much about the box TotalDonkey runs, but it sounds about right.

Q's thread is still pretty much good to go. I have linked a youtube video (there are lots of them out there) How to Install OSMC 2016 11 on a Raspberry Pi 3 2 1 B+ 0 Zero - YouTube
His pictures do seem to be gone, now. Truly, just go to youtube and do a search on OSMC install. Many to choose from. I like the guy above, as well as novaspirit tech Raspberry Pi 2 Home Theater PC How To Using OSMC Kodi - YouTube NB: It is old, and Raspberry Pi 3 is the latest.

It is a pretty good, easy, quick way to install OSMC. OSMC is basically Kodi, but with its own look. It runs, if I am not mistaken, Raspbian underneath the hood, so you can actually use it as a computer, but with the front-end running Kodi (OSMC-style.) I like it.

XBMC is now called Kodi, yes.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
TotalDonkey, hopefully you visit this thread. Can you elaborate on your set up (link here)?

Like what does "works great" mean? Is the audio digital 5.1 at least? 1080 video? Jittery? Is it a DVR too?

Example: Could I watch all of any of the networks' shows tonight at their original air time?
Hey man, so ya, I am by no means an expert....at all.

Here's what I can say.

I wanted to be able to watch any Movie/TV series I want (past or present). My Kodi has them. It's like having an external harddrive hooked up without having to download the shows/ movies myself. The "build" I have has sections of tv, movies, sports, etc. and I can just search and find things. I have noticed that new episodes of shows are available the next day. I haven't tried watching live TV/sports yet but I'm told i can (or can make it so I can). I have been told that live TV can be spotty depending on the feed.

The shows and movies are available in HD. There's essentially about 30 "feeds" to pick from and you pick one and watch. I've only had to look for multiple feeds once so far. Usually just click one and go. The situation I had was the audio was not in line with the actors when they were speaking. But found a different feed and it worked.

For TV, it has pretty much every channel and you just search through and find a show they air. For some shows not on TV still I just search that name and it pops up elsewhere in the system.

Movies are listed by every category there is: Genre, By year, In theatre, Classic, etc.

Anyways, like I said before, I'm sure there's lots I'm not getting from it yet but will find out over the next few months.

Hope that was helpful!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just a quiick update on Kodi.

In the UK there has been a huge legal situation made out of some individuals selling "fully loaded Kodi boxes." Those are android boxes with Kodi and a lot of 3rd party pirate addons installed. They are advertised as getting premium channels, sports, etc FREE. The European Union and British courts have come down hard on people selling these "Kodi Boxes." Several sellers have wound up in jail.

Here in the US, DishTV has sued the developers of the ZEM addon, which simply stole channels from DishTV and streamed them. DishTV has also sued the TVAddons.ag website for distributing the ZEM addon while knowing it was a pirate addon that stole content.

Both ZEM and the TVAddons website have disappeared as a result. Most of the 3rd party Kodi addons that TVAddons hosted have disappeared along with them. The developers of pirate addons are running for cover right now, although a few have resurfaced on other websites.

Along with the pirate addons, TVAddons hosted a lot of perfectly legal 3rd party addons which disappeared along with the TVAddons website. Team Kodi (the developers of XBMC/Kodi) are now actively trying to recruit those developers to include their addons in the "official" Kodi repository for distribution.

All-in-all, a very active and interesting past few weeks in the Kodi world... ;)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx for the info.

I still haven't pulled the plug on one. Just being lazy I guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts