Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
99 GMC Yukon 4x4, no lift, 208k miles, original shocks :eek: and I'm starting to feel it.

Looking to replace but I don't know shit about shocks. I don't do a lot of off roading but it would be nice to have a set that were maybe a little geared towards it but, again, I don't know shit about shocks so it's possible my dumb ass won't notice a difference. Especially since my truck has 208k miles and it's only fairly recently that I've noticed their deficiency.

A quick Google shows a lot of shocks in the $30 range. I wouldn't be against spending a little more for a better shock but I certainly don't want to spend $100 or more for something like an adjustable Rancho, although that would be nice.

Any ideas or just throw the cheapest thing on?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: SUV Sock Absorbers...

Bilsteins x2... good shock for the price, not too cheap, not too pricey...

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

Fucking proof read my post but didn't bother checking the subject... dumbass. Can't change it.

I'll check out Bilstein...
If you go to edit post and then go advanced and change the title I am pretty sure it actually works. This is the only forum I'm a member of where it does though.

·
aka, "Senior Mierda"
5,798 Posts

you can just click on the post subject after clicking new posts and it should give you an edit box.

·
Registered
509 Posts
208k is nothing anymore. Unless you're really going to off-road, and i don't mean a bumpy two track, stock spec replacements will be fine.

If you want something a little better without breaking the bank, Bilstien has a slightly better than stock for 70-ish. Or the Rancho RSX for about the same.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
208k is nothing anymore.
I certainly hope so. As much as I will absolutely HATE having to shop for and possibly pay monthly for a new vehicle I even more really LIKE my truck. I don't wanna have to replace it.

Unless you're really going to off-road, and i don't mean a bumpy two track, stock spec replacements will be fine.
Yeah, bumpy forest roads with some slightly more rough areas not far from those roads are likely the majority of off-roading I'd do.

If you want something a little better without breaking the bank, Bilstien has a slightly better than stock for 70-ish. Or the Rancho RSX for about the same.
I did some looking and it looks like the Bilstein 5100 or B6 Comfort series will fit the bill. I'll have the shop check those prices.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Looks like you have this taken care of but I will throw my 2 cents worth in... Bilstien is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
I did some looking and it looks like the Bilstein 5100 or B6 Comfort series will fit the bill. I'll have the shop check those prices.
Stick with the 5100's the B6 Comforts feel like mush on anything other than the highway and don't communicate enough of the trail to you.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Good to know. I was wondering about the same thing. "Comfort" made me think of an old lady in a caddy cruising on a Sunday ride.
Not quite that bad, but I prefer to use feel and be 100% in communication with whats going on with the truck and the terrain under it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts