• Not give a crap?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
PMC General Counsel
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the board is rather quiet recently, I'll throw this out:

I recently read an article in CardPlayer (which is subscribe to) that was the last of a 3 part series on rules and/or suggestions regarding when poker players must show their hands.
A common rule in tournaments is that if a player is all in with one or more players, and the betting is completed (IE only one player has chips left), then all players must immediately turn over their hands. The author proposes that cash games should use this same rule. I think i tend to agree, so i'm thinking of adopting this rule in my home games.
I see several positives about such a rule, one of which is that it makes hands more exciting for the other players at the table and each player, because by seeing the players' hands on say the flop or turn, it makes for excitement in watching the turn and/or river cards come out. I also am a firm believer in the notion that if you call my bet, you deserve to see my cards eventually anyways. In a situation like this, it makes the bettor automatically expose his hand (rather than only being required to do so if the caller demands it).
So folks, I'm curious, what do you think?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what your saying. Are you talking about a "showdown" where people flip their cards up as the rest of the cards are delt? For the most part at home games people do flip their hands up if there's an all-in. I don't think it should be stated as a "rule" that you have to flip up your cards, but if the other player requests to see them than the cards should be exposed

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We generally have all-in situations flip up, but I don't think it needs to be a "rule".

As far as I'm concerned, if someone is ashamed of their hand, they're free to leave it face down unless the other player(s) in the hand ask to see it, just like in a card room. Most of our games strive to emulate standard card room rules and I see no reason to start changing that trend now.

G

·
I think this should always be the case if the action is done and there are more cards to come. It is more exciting and doesn't have any effect on the outcome of the hand.

However, if the action completes after the river card and someone is called or vice versa and ends up mucking his or her hand, so be it. No harm no foul. We've generally let the loser muck unless a request is made which in our group is very very rare.

I can't see why anyone would not want to adopt the showdown type atmosphere when action is over with more cards to come. I don't think there is anything in poker more exciting than that...accept for being the winner. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
bigdogmetz said:
I think this should always be the case if the action is done and there are more cards to come. It is more exciting and doesn't have any effect on the outcome of the hand.

However, if the action completes after the river card and someone is called or vice versa and ends up mucking his or her hand, so be it. No harm no foul. We've generally let the loser muck unless a request is made which in our group is very very rare.

I can't see why anyone would not want to adopt the showdown type atmosphere when action is over with more cards to come. I don't think there is anything in poker more exciting than that...accept for being the winner. :)
well put

1 - 6 of 6 Posts