The Perfect Man Cave banner

What's your interest in a group trip?

• I would like to make a group trip to Vegas sometime this fall.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would like to make a group trip to Reno sometime this fall.

• I would go to either place this fall. I don't care. I just wanna play.

• For whatever reason, it's not something that I can think about right now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of threads going right now where group trips to Tahoe and/or Vegas are being talked about. I figured I'd get this going to get all the discussion in one place. If this is a gambling trip, I think we'd all agree that Reno is a much better option than Tahoe, so I'm just talking about Reno at this point.

Personally...It'd be tough (but not impossible) for me to do something in Sept or Oct. Most of the weekends in September are already booked for me, and I have a week-long vacation (fishing trip) planned for the whole first week of October.

I think Vegas would be out of the question for me totally this year. I just couldn't afford it. I could perhaps handle Reno because I could stay for free there. It'd be a much cheaper trip for me and I could probably sell the idea to Mrs Doc.

I could maybe do a group trip near the end of October or anytime in November, but that's probably the only time.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If we're thinking about a "couples" trip, I think Tahoe is the answer, cuz there's so much more to do there for our better halves while we're taking over the card rooms.

If it's a poker trip we're talking about, then Vegas or Reno are probably about the same level of commitment, Vegas perhaps a bit more $, but not much.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I would do Reno for a poker trip, however wouldn't bring the wife.
Vegas or Tahoe would include the wife. The differences in the two (Tahoe v. Vegas) and 'd have more interest in getting her to Vegas.

I'll be there in October, none the less.
If there is a Reno trip, I'll likely make that.
Tahoe, yeah, there too....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess you're right about Tahoe being a better "couples" trip. I could probably talk Jami into that, but I'd rather do a "players only" weekend in Reno than a "couples thing" in Tahoe. I can drag Jami to Tahoe anytime. If I'm up there with you guys then I'd rather focus on playing cards without having to worry about whether or not my wife is entertained...cuz if she ain't then I'm gonna be in a heap o' trouble...

And personally, I could do Reno much cheaper than Vegas. No airfare and I've got enough Hilton points saved up to stay at the Reno Hilton anytime for free. With airfare and hotel, I couldn't afford Vegas this year. Already got too many other things planned.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Well then it sounds like were doing a Reno trip, focused on cards without the other halves and we're all staying at the Reno Hilton (in Doc's room)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking Quads' cue...Here's my first suggestion...

Last weekend of October in Reno

I could do that. Anybody else?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
So we went from a couples houseboat trip to shasta, to a couples trip to tahoe, to what happens in vegas stays in vegas trip to a poker romp in reno?

I like the way this group thinks!

Yeah I could probably swing that weekend. How expesnive is the Hilton gonna be for the rest of us?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checking the Hilton web site...

The best rate right now is $89 a nite for Fri-Sat (each nite, of course). There are probably cheaper places around town, but wouldn't we want to be playing at the Hilton anyway? I'm assuming they've got the best poker room.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would love to make that trip but probably need to be around for the kids since it is Halloween...blah blah blah.

If it is just Saturday and Sunday then possibly.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assuming that we're talking about Fri nite and Sat nite, Kahuna. I'm sure we'll be back on Sunday morning/afternoon, which is Halloween. (At least I know that's what I'm talking about 'cuz I'm a Monday-Friday worker. This is just a weekend thing for me.)

·
PMC General Counsel
2,436 Posts
Heather and I would be down for a Reno trip. We get comped at Harrahs, so we would probably stay there. Anyone know how far that is from the Hilton?
Last weekend of October would probably work for us.
Quads, you should just bring the wife and score a room at the "Fantasy Inn"!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not walking distance. Harrahs is in the old "downtown" section, kind of on the Reno "strip".

The Hilton is out on the other side of 395. Probably just a couple of miles, but not real close.

How is it that you guys all get comped in all these places?

I know I'm not a bigshot or anyhting, but you guys are making me feel like trailer trash. Not that there's anything wrong with trailer trash, but geez......

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine's not comps...It's travel points...

Few years back I worked for AAA and I travelled every week for work so I always just stayed in Hilton hotels. Saved up about a bazillion of their frequent traveller points and been using them ever since. I'm actually almost down to nothing, but I still got enough left for a free weekend in Reno...woo hoo!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm poking around looking at rates. These are the major hotel rates for Fri & Sat nights, 10/29-30...

Circus Jerkus is $60
Eldorado is $68
Hilton is $69 (Fri) & $99 (Sat) on the Reno Hilton site. It's $89 each on the Hilton main site.
Peckermill is $90
Silver Legacy is $100
Harrahs is outrageous. Must have something going on there cuz it's $250 Sat nite.

Only place I've ever played poker up there is Cal-Neva. I agree with Mark though...I'd rather stay where we're gonna mostly play. I know the Hilton has a good card room, but does anyplace else???

I have a free weekend I can cash in at the Hilton, but I'm not opposed to staying and paying at one of the cheaper places if we're bunking up and I've got somebody to split it with.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These rates from Expedia...

Fitzgeralds, $55
Atlantis, $79
Nugget, $79
Peckermill, $80

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Its a room. All I need is a place to shit shower and shave. I'll bunk with someone or someone can bunk with me. Give me a pillow and some floor space and I'm good. $80 bucks split 4 ways for being in there for a total of about 4 hours. I plan to be in the poker room most of time. Anyplace downtown is a walk to one another, so where ever on Virginia street with cheap cheap rate.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I played at Peppermill. It's allright, but I wouldn't mind checking out the Hilton Card room. If you got a freebie and we can work out bunking arrangements that'll work for us all, then I don't mind.

They host a couple of pretty major tourneys every year that I might could get into checking out.

Gotta do pretty well to pay for $90/night rooming......

Does Harrahs even have a card room? I know they used to in the old days (80s), but they didn't a couple of years ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many places downtown have decent poker rooms? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I know that the Hilton is not on that strip. I'm not sure if Peppermill is either (but it is closer).

I can't remember the name of the place that I played on the "strip" that had poker, but it wasn't much of a room. Fitzgeralds maybe? At that time (3 or 4 years ago) I got strange looks from people when I asked about poker rooms.

But that was before the boom of '04.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts