Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently switched to a cable based ISP, and they are of course charging me a monthly fee to use their modem/router. I would like to buy my own, but I don't know much about them (what's good, what to look for, etc).

Can someone point me in the right direction? Maybe even go so far as to suggest some units to me?

All the ISP was able to provide me was that my equipment I purchase must be "DOCSIS 3.0 or higher."

:confused:
TYIA

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Who is the company and do they have a website? They should tell you compatable units by model. Also just google the company and what cable modems work, there will be something out there.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I've got the ARRIS SB6190...didn't need the "built-in" router crap, since I've got my own already.

I love it. With the service package I pay for, I get 300Mbps down consistently, with the modem locked in and bonded on 24 downstream channels. It is great.

I'm thinking the SB6580 is pretty much the same, just with all of the router-stuff baked in?

EDIT: Looks like Mediacom is suggesting the SB6141 (modem alone) or SBG6580 (modem/router, like you list). Either one should do you well...do you NEED a new router? What service level are you paying for...what speeds are you looking to achieve?

EDIT #2: I've got a USED SB6141 sitting on the corner of my desk. Looks like brand new ones are 70 or 80 bucks. If you don't need the router-stuff baked-in, make me an offer. It worked fine, but in order to get the 300Mbps speeds more consistently (and POTENTIALLY 1Gbps in the future), I stepped up to the SB6190 late last year. It comes with a power brick & short CAT-5e cable. LMK.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I've been using one of the surfboard modems for five years or so now with no issues.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shit! That's a great price, Q, but I need a router, and would like to have the pkg modem/router. I'll let you know today if I'll buy it or if you can sell it to Pauld. Thanks.

I'm currently paying for the 50mb/sec pkg (could upgrade to 100 or 150 in the future), and as stated above, yes, I need a router. My old router was just that, old, so I threw it away when I started renting Mediacom's.

Do I buy Q's, and have to fuck w/ two units, or just bite the bullet and buy the SBG6580 all-in-one pkg?

·
Badministrator
42,707 Posts
I'm not trying to sell mine, but I went from always having two devices (modem, and router) to now (U-Verse) where they've glued both together, and I want my old set up back. So much so that I run another wifi router outside of the u-verse modem/router device to have more configuration, control and options. (guest network, kids, etc.)

I flip one switch and kill my kids internet. "Boom! Are homework and chores done?" Before, it was 'log in, find password, kill their mac addresses, save, reboot, etc.. Rinse repeat when they were done with their shit. It was just a pita.

I'd look hard at the router / modem you're buying and make sure it does 100% everything you want, now and future.

Again, not pushing my modem, but just look at what you need, want, etc. for configuration, changes, options, etc.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I think both of the models you are looking at (6580 & 6141) "only" bond up to 8 channels, so you're probably going to be maxed at around 150-ish Mbps on speeds. That sounds like enough for you now, and they are the models your ISP is suggesting. Either should work, aside from the router/non-router angle.

If you are thinking of buying something NOT from your ISP, might as well take Q's modem off of him, and spend the "savings" on a kick-a$$ stand-alone wireless router, like THIS. Just my $0.02. etc., etc., etc. :p

BTW: There is no "F-ing-with" needed on the modem-side, whatever way you go. Once you let your ISP know the S/N of the unit, they pair it up, and away you go. Updates and whatever should happen all automagically. The router (stand-alone or built-in) is another story...but you'll "have to" do that sort of stuff, either way.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I flip one switch and kill my kids internet. "Boom! Are homework and chores done?" Before, it was 'log in, find password, kill their mac addresses, save, reboot, etc.. Rinse repeat when they were done with their shit. It was just a pita.
Now this sounds like something I want to learn how to do!

I'll PM you regarding the router, Q. Thanks! :thumb:

If you are thinking of buying something NOT from your ISP, might as well take Q's modem off of him, and spend the "savings" on a kick-a$$ stand-alone wireless router, like THIS. Just my $0.02. etc., etc., etc. :p
That router scares me. Looks like something out of the movie Alien.

In all seriousness though, what router would be best for my modest setup/home?

·
Badministrator
42,707 Posts
ezpz, $40 TP Link wifi access point that is for the kids. They don't have the pw to get on the other wifi networks, just theirs. Hit a power switch, those little bastards listen up. Chores get done, I turn it back on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.