The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned.
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my buddy from work bankrolled me for a 5.00/0.50 SNG. For some screwy reason, I was really nervous. But I grabbed a beer as the game started and all seemed well.

The first thing I noticed is that the play is different than play money. The players actually FOLDED to a pre-flop raise when they didn't have anything - kinda threw me for a loop. Anyhow, I won the first hand - and was the chip leader for about the next 10 or so hands. Then it happened - got trapped by a better hand - and it cost me dearly. Knocked me down to about 380 chips.

Well, the blinds were still low - so I sat there patiently. Caught Jd 10d - went all in. Had one caller - A J. Wonderful. Flop - 8 9 10. Turn 2 River 10. w00t! I doubled up! Caught another decent starting hand and doubled up again. Back in business. Started tightening up - poked at a hand or 2 and took some small pots.

A few people started dropping off and before I knew it there were only 4 of us left. It was ULTRA tight. I'm on the BB with about 8k in chips. UTG folds, next player goes all in for 1700. Player behind him has about 3300 and calls. I go all in to pressure the caller. He caved. I turn over A J. Mr. All-In turns over 10 10. Flop comes A J 2. DOMINATING. Turn and river were bricks. Knocked one out and put the hurts on the other. I clinched and let the 2 short stacks battle it out. Pretty anti-climactic, one of them busts out. At this point, I'm sweatin like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee. I can't believe I made it heads up!

So this cat (Tex) had about 1 move - ALL IN. First hand heads up, I get AK. I call (blinds @ 200/400). He checked. Flop K 8 2. He checks. I bet minimum. He folds. This kind of bullshit went on for a few hands - then he starts going all in pre-flop. He has about 4k in chips, so I sure didnt' wanna double him up calling him w/ some bullshit. So I let him catch my blinds. Finally I catch 22. He goes all in - I call. He shows A Q. Flop: A Q 8. Ugh. Turn/River = blanks. Ghey.

I'm still the chip leader, but now he has some money to push me around. Every hand I get, I raise to at least 2x BB - just to lean on him. This worked for about 5 hands or so - but then his "all in" bullshit tactics came back into play. So I eased up - to let him see some flops. Then it happened. I get Qh 5s in teh BB. He raised preflop to 1200. I call. Flop is A K 10 hearts. I'm stoked. Workin on a straight, a flush, and POSSIBLY the ol' royal! He goes all in - I thought for about .02 seconds - and call. I have a LOT of outs (12 I think). I knew he had a hand, but didn't realize he had AK of spades. I'm WAY behind. Turn was a 10 of clubs. I hit my straight! but he still has 4 outs - luckily I caught a 2 of hearts on the river for the win.

It was only 22.50, but fuck man - it was SO much fun. Gave my buddy $10 back - a little interest n whatnot. can't wait to play when I get home from work tomorrow :)

PokerStars Tournament #5912324, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $5.00/$0.50
9 players
Total Prize Pool: $45.00
Tournament started - 2005/03/08 - 00:03:58 (ET)

Dear TheModfather,

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
A $22.50 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Congratulations!
Thank you for participating.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i started out online and my only advice is be careful it is more addicting then crack. I only play live games now because online poker was ruining my relationship with my girlfriend.

·
Banned.
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
partykid707 said:
i started out online and my only advice is be careful it is more addicting then crack. I only play live games now because online poker was ruining my relationship with my girlfriend.
Wait, so you're saying it'll make my wife go away?!?!!??! :D :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Way to go MF. That was an exciting read. I also was playing online a bit much. It's so easy to get more cash to play but the tourneys are fun.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Well done. You popped your cheri!
List someone else said, it's more addicting than crack and the swings can be as bad if not worse online that in live games.

I enjoy the human interaction and being able to see / read people versus JUST playing the cards and the betting patterns.

At this point, I'm sweatin like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee
Great tag line.... gonna get a few miles out of that one...

G

·
0 Posts
[quote:3smnwwyf]
Quote:
At this point, I'm sweatin like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee
Great tag line.... gonna get a few miles out of that one...
[/quote:3smnwwyf]

how about sweatin like Kirstie Alley at a buffet

·
Banned.
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well shit - this is becoming a habit - and one that I can live with!!!

I played my 2nd real money SNG tonite - 9 players - $5/.50c buy in.

PokerStars Tournament #5935399, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $5.00/$0.50
9 players
Total Prize Pool: $45.00
Tournament started - 2005/03/08 - 21:35:40 (ET)

Dear TheModfather,

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
A $22.50 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Congratulations!
Thank you for participating.
Amazing. I might never play a live game again :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
2 for 2! Your time is money. Forget the small stuff. Jump into a higher SNG (Say $20 buy in). Why sweat over a $5 game if you are that good?

·
Registered
57 Posts
But you can NEVER cash out or you will fall under the dreaded "CASHout Curse" never to win again..... :D

it's that little bitty byte there, right now it's a 0, but if you ever take money away from the site then it becomes a 1 and you'll never get to play at the "good" tables again. Only the "so you wanna see you AA" cracked by T3o on the river" tables.... :evil:

·
Banned.
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stockton_Dave said:
But you can NEVER cash out or you will fall under the dreaded "CASHout Curse" never to win again..... :D

it's that little bitty byte there, right now it's a 0, but if you ever take money away from the site then it becomes a 1 and you'll never get to play at the "good" tables again. Only the "so you wanna see you AA" cracked by T3o on the river" tables.... :evil:
hahahahah

Holy shit that made me laugh!!!! Well done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you know i can not say it is a fact but a lot of people including myselves have horror stories about cashing out and then hitting a bad streak. I turned 50 dollars into 600 in about a week then i cashed out 100 and then lost 400 in 24 hours and it was not me playing foolishly. I was having boats get beat by 4 of a kind, flushes beat by boats ect ect. The kind of hands that our expensive to lose. It might be just a coincidence but my advice is if your gonna cash out cash out big

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
So maybe the trick is to take $50, build it to $500, then cash out for $450, you're back to your original $50.

·
Banned.
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So can I make it a 3-peat?

Played last nite - another 9 player SNG. First hand I'm on the button - get 55. Get a host of callers around the table. Comes to me, I raise to $60 (3x BB). The SB folds - the BB re-raises to 100. 2 callers around the table, then I call. 4 Players. Flop comes Ad Qc 4c. The raiser bets $200. The 2 other players fold. I figure "Hell, I usually turn the set - I'll play." I call. Turn = Kd. The raiser bets $300. I know I'm beat at this point, and can't afford to chase any farther. I pass. He scooped a pretty nice first pot. I hate when I fall in love with a pocket pair - especially a low pocket pair.

Next hand: I get AQd. Wonderful. I already know what's gonna happen here - just felt bad things about to happen. One person raised to $60 - 2 callers and me. Same scenario as last time. Flop comes 5c8s9d. Groovy. Where was this flop last hand? The raiser bets 20 - the minimum bet. call/call - it's on me. I have a runner runner draw for diamonds. I'm already beat if someone holds a 25. I pass. Turn 6d. The raiser bets 100. 1 call, and a re-raise to 200. call/call. The river - Jd. ARRGGHH! MY FLUSH! Raiser bets 200. Fold, and a re-raise all in. The raiser called! Turned over 2 pair - 8/9. The 'all in' mucks. meanwhile, I'm stewin in my own juices. I'm on tilt in the worst way. I decide to "sit out next hand" for about the next 5 minutes.

Well, long story short, I end up holding on till there were 4 players left. I am on the BB, and catch KK. It's time - I push my whopping 500 in. 2 callers. Wonderful. Flop comes Q 5 8. I'm feeling OK so far. One person bets - the other folder. The bettor turned over 5 8. My night is over. Turn and River were both blanks. Bleh.

Ahh well - it was still a lotta fun. And it taught me a few things about the way I play, which I feel is important if I am gonna make any money in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts