Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It began as a normal venture into the line of online gambling. I started out playing at a couple loose 2-4 HE games that I had found on PP. Oh did I forget to mention the other part of the description "LUCKY". And I don't mean for me. I swear I had run into the mother of all "call to the river and catch the card" sessions. Flop a set, someone catches a gut shot to make a baby straight, flop the nut straight with AK and someone goes runner, runner for a baby flush. Flop the nut flush and someone catches runner runner to make a full house.... and this was on two tables!!

After getting my bankroll lightened up to the tune of $150 I decided to see if $3-6 was any better. Nope. But I only hung around for a $50 tuneup.

Being a little steamed, I decided to take a break but to come back in ten minutes. Had about $150 still in the account, so I said WTF and logged into a $200 NL HE game. Watched the players for a while, played only really strong opening hands and was pretty much holding my own. After about an hour I decided I had determined who to be wary of and who just loved throwing chips around. So I loosened my play up a bit. On the dealer button with about $200 in front of me I find AJ suited. The bring in is only $2 so I grab my cane and limp in with about 5 others. The BB raises to $10 (new player didn't have a read on him yet). Most others fold to the player to my right who raises to $25. This person was one of the "I like to throw money around" so after a little thought I called, hoping the BB would fold. I should of raised to isolate but was still wary of the BB. The BB just called. Flop is KsQhTs. Holy flop batman, nut straight, but there is a flush draw possible against me. BB leads out with $25 bet, player to left raises to $50, I decide to smooth call to see what the turn brings (in hindsight that was probably not smart, I should of made em pay to see the flush draw - opinions?) the BB then goes all in for his remaining $80 +/- (I'm thinking split pot on AJ if no flush hits), then chip thrower goes all in over him with about $250, I'm thinking I'm looking at a flush draw, a set or a third AJ (based on his prior plays, I'm leaning toward some kind of draw from him and this was a try at an isolation bet). Say a little prayer, start chanting "little diamonds, come on little diamonds" and press the call button. Turn 4d, river 3d, Bamm, worst postion I'm in is a split pot. BB rolls over JJ, chipthrower rolls over AKo, SEND IT! $525+ stack coming my way.

Sit back and muck about 5 more orbits of cards. On BB I find QQ. 3 limpers in front of me, so I raise to $10. Immediate reraise to $25 from a player who I've tagged as solid. Fold, fold, in my early position I decide to just call to see the flop. 2hQs9c, just check trying to trap. Mr. Solid bets $25, I immediately raise to $50, he immediately reraises to $125. I admit I am momentarily stopped cold. My set of queens is top dog now. How do I want to play this? I'm putting him on KK or AA which gives him 2 outs, if he has a baby set, it's only 1 out. It's the KK AA that's got me hesitate as memories of the earlier 2-4 fiasco's rush forward. We are about even in chips so any all in is gonna risk my stack. I decide to simply reraise to $250 (feeling gun shy - opinions?). Mr. Solid waits a long time before folding.

Have $735 and up about $585 now in this game and I decide to bow out and take the chips home to play another day. Besides it's around midnight and I've been online since 6pm. This morning came much to early for work.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Flop is KsQhTs. Holy flop batman, nut straight, but there is a flush draw possible against me. BB leads out with $25 bet, player to left raises to $50, I decide to smooth call to see what the turn brings (in hindsight that was probably not smart, I should of made em pay to see the flush draw - opinions?)
I rarely give cheap draws. It never fails that I get smacked when I try to slow-play something like that. I would have tried to shut the door right there, but it turned out well for you.

Mr. Solid bets $25, I immediately raise to $50, he immediately reraises to $125. I admit I am momentarily stopped cold. My set of queens is top dog now. How do I want to play this? I'm putting him on KK or AA which gives him 2 outs, if he has a baby set, it's only 1 out. It's the KK AA that's got me hesitate as memories of the earlier 2-4 fiasco's rush forward. We are about even in chips so any all in is gonna risk my stack. I decide to simply reraise to $250 (feeling gun shy - opinions?).
I know I just said that "I rarely give cheap draws", but if I can put him on a 2 outer, I think I would have let hime drive a little here. The only problem you have is that you don't know if he's after the A or the K and you might just get scared off if one of them pops up, even if it's the one that he doesn't need. I know he was "solid" but he could have easily played AQ that way and would have been drawing near dead (only running AA beats you). The only hand you'd have to really fear on this flop would be a JT and it sounds like you easily discounted that possibility. Given your read (and a pre flop limp/raise sounds like AA or KK from a solid player), I probably would have let him put some money in on the turn and then close the door. (Sounds like you may have been tilting a little if you was afraid of a 2 outer....even I don't get that scared! ;) )

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with Hagar. I don't like your first play very much. I like to shut down draws, or make them as expensive as possible.

I like the second play. If a K or A hits the board on 4th or 5th street, you're probably going to end up putting all your chips in anyways and your not sure you have the best hand anymore.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Draws in the hand = implied odds..... I love them. Make them expensive, yes, but also let them pay and put money in the pot without a made hand.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Draws in the hand = implied odds...
Yes they do. But to most experienced players, we'll know what's going on and not pay off an obvious flush or open ender hit. Using implied odds as an "excuse" to call a bet that doesn't offer you correct pot odds needs to include a fairly high percentage "assurance" that you will get paid off if you hit your draw.

In other words, calling a 2:1 odds bet (pot sized bet heads up) chasing a 4:1 draw is NOT "mathematically" correct if you do not believe you will get more money in the pot if you hit your draw. That's why it;'s so important to not "give" free or cheap cards to your drawing opponents- they are making a techinal mistake by calling a "reasonable" (Brunson) bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts