Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to select the 22nd over the 29th rather than put myself through the hell that would be trying to run a poll. I'm guessing that the 29th will be some conflict problems for some of you with rugrats who may be attending some Halloween function on the 29th, hence the decision for the 22nd.

Event: $50 buy-in NL Texas Hold'em Tourney

When: Oct 22, 4:00 p.m. start time

Seats: Limited to 30 players (since the starting stacks are so large, I don't see there being reserved seating within the first 3 rounds)

Payouts: 3-7 Dependent on # players (Winner will get somewhere in the $350 neighborhood, last payout spot will get at least $100. Exact payouts will be published once event fills, or on game day if the number of players is in question until the last minute as it usually is.

$45 from each buy-in will go towards the payout pool.
$5 from each buy-in will go towards a Bounty* booty pool

There will also be an optional participation $5 per player High Hand Jackpot**. ($5 in addition to the $50 Buy-In)

*Bounty - each player will be issued a special Bounty chip. When a player is all-in, one Bounty chip goes into the pot with his chips. Bounty chips collected are worth $5 ea. regardless of how you finish in the tourney. If you have collected Bounty chips from other players, you only risk "your" Bounty chip when going all-in. If you have collected 6 Bounty chips and then get eliminated, you'll get $30 in Bounty money.

**High Hand Jackpot - This is an optional participation jackpot. If you want to be eligible, you have to kick in another $5. The player that had the highest hand once the tourney is over, will collect the entire HHJP. IF all 30 players choose to get in, it will be a $150 JP. First flush will start the High Hand board. The hand doesn't need to be called down to qualify, but it must be shown. I'll likely ask another player to manage this pool.

Event structure: (I'm gonna bite off a little hunk of headache and make this a big starter-stack tourney. Not sure how long it will take, so I'm starting a little earlier than usual.)

Starting Stack: 5,000 T$
Blind structure (20 minute rounds):
5/10,
10/25 (rase off 5 chips),
25/50 (10-15 minute break),
50/100 (race off 25 chips),,
100/200,
200/500, (10-15 minute break)
500/1000 (possible 100 ante - race off 100 chips if ante not implemented*),
1000/2000 (possible 200 ante) (10-15 minute break),
2000/4000 (posible 200 ante - top blinds based on 30 player entry)(breaks as needed)

*I'm not a fan of antes, but since this tourney could drag out a while we'll take stock after the 6th level. If we have 16 or more players still active at that point, we'll implement the antes for the remainder of the tourney. If we don't start the ante at this point, we will not implement it all.

Dealers: I'll deal one table and plan to deal throughout the tourney regardless of my tourney status. I'll need two other volunteers.

Seating: Dealers will be randomly assigned to a table. All other players will be randomly assigned to one of the other 27 seats.

Starting buttons will be designated by random selection on each table.

Tables will balanced as necessary throughout the tourney. When one table has 2 (or more) fewer players than one of the other tables, a player from the "full" table will be randomly selected to move (dealers excluded from random moves). In the event that both of the other tables are equal (eg: short table has 7, other tables have 9), the table to transfer a player will be randomly selected.

When we get down to 20 players, the players at the "short" table will be randomly assigned to one of the other tables. When we get down to 10 players, the two tables will combine and redraw for button and seat position.

When we get down to 21 and 11 players, all tables will proceed on a "hand to hand" (tables will not start the next hand until all tables have completed a hand) basis to ensure fairness to all.

Standard BYOC rules apply and shall be specified in writing in a couple of weeks. Once you have signed up, you'll get a very detailed set of rules sent to you. It will be long and boring but you will be resonsible for knowing them. There will be a brief review before we start, but know them before you arrive.

Stuff I need from others:
- I will need 2 players to volunteer to drag tables over.
- Some extra KEM or Copag cards would be welcome as I think I have a couple of scarred decks.
- One dealer button
- If somebody with a set of chips that are different than mine (I have one set of 11.5g striped diamond and one set of "cheapo" 9g solid diamond) would volunteer them for a possible cash game, it would be appreciated (i'll need to mix some of the chips form both sets to accomodate 5K stacks for 30 people).

Bringing your own chair will be absolutely critical for this one or you'll likely be standing!

Miscelaneous Blather: (but stuff you should know)
As much as I would prefer payment in advance, that is a huge nightmare. We're a group of honor. I'll have a one week cutoff before the event: if you have committed to be there after that point (Oct 15), you will owe me $50 whether you show or not. If you find that you can't attend after the deadline, let me know and we'll try to fill your seat with a standby.

As usual, I'll give regular BYOCers first shot at the seats, but there will likely be room for some guests. I'll put out the Evite early next week. Reservations will be limited to invitees until Oct 8. At that point I'll start accepting reservations for your guests. First come first serve. You are responsible for your guest's entry fee - if they flake YOU owe me the money. If we get more than 30 reserved, I'll start a list of standby players who are willing to cover last minute bailouts. I don't expect them to show up without a reserved seat, but they are welcome to come if they are feeling lucky. If there is a standby present and there is an unexpected no-show at startup, I'll sell the no-show's seat to the standby (in a heartbeat!). If you know you're going to be a few minutes late, you better let me know. You'll be blinded off, but you'll get your seat. If there is no standby, you'll be blinded off for the first hour (3 blind levels) and then picked up if you're not there. If you know you're going to be later than that (and still want to pay to be blinded off) we'll blind you off until you plan to show. You'll get up to one blind level of grace period for this deadline (eg: you expect to be there by 3:30- when the blind level expires that is occuring at 3:30, your seat is toast).

Cash game: not guaranteed. Not sure what the inclination for a cash game will be and have no idea when one of the tables will open to do so. If the table is open and you want to start a game, knock yourself out. I'll likely be busy with the tournement until it is over (playing and or dealing) so someone else will have to run it.

That should be enough drivel to start some kind of shit. See you all on the 22nd! I'm willing to be a little flexible in the starting time, but not by much, and only if there's a large demand. Other than that, consider this tourney plan etched in stone.

[Edits in Red]

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I like it.

I puched your numbers into Tourney Director and got this:

Tourney Time 3:10
$1500 in prize money

Payout looked like this: (TD suggested payout structure)
1st 40% - $600
2nd 23% - $345
3rd 13% - $195
4th 10% - $150
5th 8% - $120
6th 6% - $90

If you wish I can bring a laptop and run TD in the background for all to see. I can also bring a table if needed (and anything else you may need).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your table and other supplies is welcome. Don't really need the tourney director - just something else to wrestle with IMO. I already have a payout structure built - a little less top heavy and gets the last place money more than a double up.

Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mark,

Sounds great to me! I'm for sure in on this, and will be happy to deal a table as I have done in the past.

I have a brand new set of KEM, as well, that I'm happy to bring. I'll bring my chips as well, although they're not all fancy like some of the others'.

Let me know if you need anything, and I'll look forward to the invite.

-David

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have chips (too close probably), chair, table, KEM cards, dealer button, Crack (shook off heroin), beer, smokes, cookies, brownies and anything else that may be needed is a short Walmart trip away. Wait, can someone loan me $50.

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
I'll offer the Mardi Gras low denom chips for a live game if you'd like - either way.

Oct 22 is a LAN that we're throwin but I'm gonna bounce early from there. Gonna burn up like $100 in gas that day - from Cameron Park to Antelope, and from there to Rancho Murietta :eek:

All in teh name of some good fun :)

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Hagar said:
Your table and other supplies is welcome. Don't really need the tourney director - just something else to wrestle with IMO. I already have a payout structure built - a little less top heavy and gets the last place money more than a double up.

Thanks
I'd be interested is seeing what you worked out for payouts for the tourney if you don't mind sharing!

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmm.. I was planning on making another trip to sacramento in october. maybe I will have to plan it around the 22nd. of course if I show I will offer my dealing services if need be, but I have to figure out the trip first.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be interested is seeing what you worked out for payouts for the tourney if you don't mind sharing!
All in good time grasshopper....

Shiz - hope you can make it. No way we'd make you do a busman's holiday though - thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hagar. Count me in. I'm usually scheduled to work until 2 pm, but I think that I can get out an hour early. I'll keep you posted via email on my schedule. Tom

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the record, here is my intended payout grid:
Up to 15: 3 places - 50%, 30%,20%
16-19: 4 places - 40%, 25%, 20%, 15%
20-23: 5 places - 35%, 25%, 17%, 13%, 10%
24-27: 6 places - 30%, 23%, 15%, 13%, 10%, 9%
28-32: 7 places - 28 %, 21%, 14%, 11%, 10%, 9%, 8%

If you're curious, my goal in tournies (especially big tournies) is to pay as many players as possible and get the person in the money at least twice their buy-in back. I prefer a little flatter payout than a real top heavy payout structure. We all know that the winner of a tourney is the winner based in a large part on luck. Yes skill helps get through some moments, but it is a "short term" game. I think that everyone in the money should get a decent payday for getting there as opposed to one person getting a huge payout and everyone else getting consolation prizes. Just my philosophy.

As I eluded to in my previous post, this structure will get first place between $345 and $420 and last place between $100 and $150 depending on what number of players we land on. You have about a 1 in 4 chance of getting in the money (+ or - your personal skill factor) which should keep it at a fun level.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After seeing Quads' Tourney Direction prediction on the original structure, I had him punch a few different numbers in to see what would happen. I realized that with the 25/50 starting blinds, the strucuture wouldn't be any different than a 1K starter and 5/10 blinds - just bigger numbers, similar ratio.

I was hoping for a 5-6 hour event (get your money's worth) so I decidced to restrucure the blinds. The blind rounds will stay at 20 minutes, but we'll start at 5/10 instead of 25/50. This should maek the stacks feel VERY big to start with - no one should feel any impending doom until at least the 4th round or so assuming you can keep your pants on or you don't run itno a real bad situation or 8.

I also decided to move the start time back to 4:00 so everyone could have a half day to take care of honey-dos (or whatever). This should get us done with the tourney by 10:00ish. Even if it goes a couple hours longer it won't be too ugly late. I edited the original post to reflect these changes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hagar,

I like the edits that you have made to the tourney. Are we going to use $5 chips now, in addition to $25, and race off the $5 maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round? Either way, it should be fun having huge stacks and not having to worry about making a move within 30 min like you do in the Derby tourneys.

The payout structure is fine with me. There will still be competition, but not as much as there would be with a top heavy payout, making the game more FUN, which is why I'm going to be there anyway (if I wanted to make $ and nothing else, I'd go to a card room on my Saturday)

See ya there, and let me know if you need: a dealer, my KEMS, or my chips.

-David

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are we going to use $5 chips now, in addition to $25, and race off the $5 maybe in the 2nd or 3rd round?
Yes, that would be the plan. We'll buy down the $5 chips after the second round.

·
Banned.
3,231 Posts
Hagar said:
Evites are out. If you didn't get one and think you should have, let me know.
OH yeah buddy - I'm all up in this beehatch!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The more i am hearing about this tourny the more i am getting excited. I have been dying to play in a "real tourny" and as cheesy as it sounds, like you see on tv. With the super blinds system that they have at limelight derby and rancho you just do not get the satisfaction of being able to play the way you want to and the final table usually turns into a who has the bigger balls crap shoot with the blinds being anywhere from 10%-50% of your stack. It will be nice to not be forced to make a move right away and being able to sit back and play whatever strategy you want. I think the only place i have been able to play a tourny like this is online but online it is hard to play the game you want to, you need the felt the chips and the cards to really play a true game of poker. Thanks for setting up the game hagar and i will do everything i can to not work that night
mike(pk)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made a few changes to the payout. Assuming Quads is willing to bring his shiny new bounty chips, I'm gonna give the Bounty thing a try. It shold add a little bit of excitement and give some players a chance to get something out of the deal even if they don't get into the money. I don't think the payouts will be affected seriously and those who finish in the money will likely have their share of Bounties to make up for some of the payout loss.

I'll also have an optional HHJP. Anyone want to volunteer to manage the HHJP?

These changes have been added to the original post in red.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts