Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get other ppl's thoughts on these chips. They are a lower end chip with edge spots. I wasn;t too keen on them at first, but they are certainly growing on me. At $270 for a set of 1000, I think it's a pretty good deal. They are 12g chips (with the dreaded metal insert). I think that for the price, these STOMP all over the "All-In" chips.

Saw pics of one guy who put labels (from the "Classics") on them, and they look pretty cool actually. Now I'm certainly NOT a fan of the whole "sticker" craze, and neither was the guy who made these - but he said they are well worth the money he spent on them, and the labels really dress them up. He said they stack real well, and that he has no worries about them "peeling" off. Not sure how durable the labels would be after extended play with them - but hell - they're replaceable :)

$1 Chip
$5 Chip
$25 Chip
$100 Chip
$500 Chip
$1000 chip
$5000 Chip
Stack of chips

Here is a link to the singles:
http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand ... de=10-8000

And here is a link to the 1000 pc set for $270
http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand ... 0-8000-1KS

Sooo....input from anyone?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
At $270 for a set of 1000, I think it's a pretty good deal.
Well I guess "good deal" is all relavent to the person. My preference was to get "reasonable" quality chips (translation: not plastic or cardboard) so I could host at least 10 bodies. SInce I was the first to do multi-table games in our group, I set up to be able to run 2 different games at once, ie 2 sets of chips.

I'm not one to get all gushy about fancier chips; to me chips are about function not flash. Better quality chips will not make the game any better.

I'm not one to like denoms on the chips - I llike the flexibility of valuing the chips as needed. I couldn't care less about monogramming or personalization.

These are MY needs or lack of them.

So I got 2 complete setups: 1000 chips, 2 different styles. I got one set of the 9 gram "cheapy" diamond chips. I really don't see what everyone has against these chips - they work great. I got 1000 of these (plus 10 racks and a dealer button) for around $50 (shipped) through Ebay. I got 1000 of the "dice" chips (plus 2 metal cases), through Ebay for about $80 (shipped).

So: I have 2,000 chips for ~$130.

I have since added 10 more racks, another dealer button and 2 of the acrylic chip cases for ~$70. My entire "chips" investment is ~$200.

This seems like a much better "deal" "to me".

It all depends on what YOU want from your chips. If the "oohs and ahhs" from your friends is more important than money in your pocket, then go for the flash and drop some coin. That's not my preference.

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was fortunate enough to be able to score a 1000 pc set of the Mardi Gras chips with no "out of pocket" money on my end. That being said, I completely agree with you about the "function over form" statement. I think that with the explosion in the popularity of poker, way too much emphasis has been put on the quality of chips/cards/tables vs. say how much fun you have AND how well people play.

I had a 1000 pc set of the 11.5g dice chips prior to owning my MG chips. Loved them. They are great chips and 100% functional. I have a problem though - I like to upgrade - everything. Any hobby I'm in, I get the best that I can afford. Not sure why - I'm just quirky like that. Hell, I drive a beater - my house is mediocre (at best) - but my PC's are fast - my RC cars are faster (yeah, I'm a 13 year old trapped in a 35 year old body) - and I've spend a little coin on good quality poker equipment. Not for the "ooh and ahh" value - but more so because I like them.

The one thing that I do NOT do is buy high end stuff off the bat. I will "get my feet wet" when I'm first entering ANY hobby. I'll run low end (but functional) equipment until I decide that I enjoy it enough to get good value out of my purchases.

As far as denominated (is that a word?) chips are concerned, the dice chips I had were blanks - and they worked well. I'm not too concerned about flexibility, as 99% of the games we play are tourneys. I will be investing in some lower denom MG chips in the near future, however - would like to get more live games going on in the garage :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Any hobby I'm in, I get the best that I can afford. Not sure why - I'm just quirky like that.
I'm the same way if I believe the better stuff will improve the experience of the activity. (Have you ever met a golfer who hasn't made some attempt to "buy" his game?) Upgrading from plastic Hoyle chips to the 9g diamond chips improved the game. Anything more is just bling in my book.

Not for the "ooh and ahh" value - but more so because I like them.
I have no problem with that. Everyone has their own needs.

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hagar said:
Have you ever met a golfer who hasn't made some attempt to "buy" his game?
Best analogy ever! Buddy of mine is like that - spends TONS of money on the latest and greatest "fad" of the week - only to discover he hates the hobby - ends up sellin damn near new crap for pennies on the dollar. Hell, that's who I got my pool table from :)

·
PMC General Counsel
2,437 Posts
I agree that the quality of chip you should buy if whatever meets your needs. I happened to purchase a custom clay set b/c i thought it was a good investment in that i'll probably be playing poker till i die.
But on the other hand, i played plenty of games in the dorms in college using "Cherios" and other assorted cereal as chips, because it met our needs at that point in our lives!!

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
My personal thought is, buy the most expensive chip you can afford. Find the baddest, dopest, clayest or cermacist, or what ever. The chips you buy shoudl be something that you capitolize over 20 years, because if you don't lose them, you will have them for the next 20 (at least).

The NexGen chips do have a very dope effect to them. I ahev a bunch of samples from them and I like them a LOT.

With the next set I buy, after finishing my JB set through Ace, I'll look seriously at NG's for a non denomination chip.

·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quads said:
The NexGen chips do have a very dope effect to them. I ahev a bunch of samples from them and I like them a LOT.
Can you bring some with you next time you mob over here? I'd love to check em out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts