Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See website: Home Page | Adrenaline Barbecue Company see their excellent cook videos.

This was my very first cook with the thing, and I'll call this a partial success. Was delicious, but it came out solid medium, not medium rare, and I think I know why.

So, I also got a two-probe thermometer, that, and the Slow 'n Sear were my wife's birthday present to me (well, I got them then told her she got them for me :) ) Followed the prime rib instructions, including Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust rub. Trimmed the roast, dry brined overnight,*then tied into tighter roast shape and slathered with rub.

The Slow 'n Sear could not be easier to use. I think this is where I went wrong. First, I pulled the roast at 10 degrees under target, which I think may have been instructions for steaks. I think maybe they say to pull roasts 20 degrees under, I'll have to go rewatch the video. Second, because I didn't want to wait so long for the coals to get hot, I opened all the vents all the way 10 degrees below that. By the time I pulled it, it was 325* in there. My thinking is, while this may have made the coals ready for the sear later more quicky, it likely upped how fast the roast was heating, and I bet it shot up past target temperature more than it may have had I left the vents alone and kept going at the lower temperature. I also loosely tented it with foil, and that was truly stupid, don't know what I was thinking I WANTED the thing to stop going up in temperature.

Anyway, was moist and delicious, was still a big hit, and I'd call it a success for a first flight with this thing, just not perfect. Awesome product! So glad I got it.

​​​​​​​

Attachments

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im telling you, this accessory is the shit! Best thing to happen to the kettle in 60 years! Love the thermometer pic. I can monitor my cook in air conditioner comfort with more precision than ever with a cocktail. At 61, this amazed me. The weber kettle is 1 year older than me. ��

1 - 5 of 5 Posts