The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a great tourney. Great in the sense that I placed in the money. I (looking back) don't think it's my favorite tourney due to the fact that you absolutely have to catch cards up front and build a big stack in order to survive the ultra aggressive blinds stricture.

I started out with a ton of top hands that were hitting. I think in the first 3 rounds I took out about 15 people or so. Most every person who went all in against me I snapped off.

A few BYOC'rs as well. Scotty, (dealer / player) was there, we started at the same table. I got in a pot with him, I think it was the 1st or second hand. He raised, I called, we looked at the flop, he bet, I raised, he called the all in and we flipped over my Aces versus his 10's. He went out rather early. Worm took an alternate seat, probably something like alternate #30 or so. He was simply waiting for a pot to get in and double up. I wish I could report differently, but he took a stab at a pot and moved all in, in the hand where I look down to see the rockets. I flip up and tell him he picked the wrong pot to dance with me in. I was willing to double him up, but he had a long way to go with his A/3. flop, turn, river... "dead man walking".

Moving forward, we are down to two tables, and I feel as though I'm about to get blinded off if I don't make a move and start catching a few hands. We are down to 2 tables and the blinds just went to 500/1000 and I'm trying to sneak in with a marginal hand to hit a flop. We'll have none of that here. I donked off quite a few chips from my status of chip leader. All the while, I'm keeping a close eye on the Kid who is on the table behind me, who is amazingly, nursing a short stack through each orbit. He had a larger stack earlier on, but took a hit when he danced with someone with jacks against his queens, and they caught their set. None the less, he did make the money and was able to make a showing at the final table. I was hoping to go heads up with him, once we gathered at the final table.

Going into the final table, I was the large stack, there were quite a few other equal stacks with a few shorties trying to hang in there. We all traded paint and weren't shy in getting the pots moving around the table.

fast forward-
It's 4 handed, I am tangling with a guy who I have covered who makes a large all in bet into the pot. I have A/7 diamonds. I think about it for a while and call. He flips up A/9c. The board didn't help me, and if we went down with Ace high, he had me out kicked. This was my turning point in the game and perhaps my poor play of the night. I should have stayed out of the pot. But, you don't learn if you don't know. I lost a large percentage of my stack and was no longer the dominating factor at the table as far as chips were concerned.

I snuck around for a bit and let the short stacks play themselves off the table and got involved in a few pots to gain back a few more chips, but nothing remarkable. I was able to knock another player or two off and get my chips back to a reasonable size when we went down to 3 players. I need to wait for the right person to get in the right pot with the short stack and get him off the table and not risk a lot of my chips in doing so. That happened, I came in with a premium hand against the short stack that was making a move with the best thing he had seen for some time. And then there were two.

Heads up and I traded pain on a few hands, but again, not many show downs other than pots where we both tried to limp in. At the structure you play in this tourney, it's really a craps shoot with where the blinds are versus what your chip stack is. So you pick a pot to get in and ideally come over the top of someone to get them off their hand preflop. At 4/8K blinds, you are pretty much committing most of your stack if you want to play it aggressively all the way down to the river. This worked for both of us on several occasions, he'd limp, I'm make a sizable raise and vis versa. This went on for 10 or 15 minutes. My shoulders are killing me, I'm hungry and I have to take a piss, and the blinds are going to go up again in about 4 minutes. (they were at 4K/8K and going to double)

I look down at J/10s, we go heads up and the chips are moving. I go all in, and find that he has A/9, none of my suites. So I have a great draw, but he has an over. Turns out he catches his A on the turn to knock me out. I take second, a respectable showing, but in retrospect, I would have played 2 hands differently. That hand, and the call on the prior A/9 where I doubled a guy up.

The Kid and I talked outside about the tourney and how we would have played a few hands differently, and recapped the action. We both cashed, so it was a good night. $775 isn't as nice at 1400 and some change, but it's $710 more than I walked in there with.

Worm, The Kid, Dino (who I sat with at one table and moved to the final table with and then ended up knocking him out) all were fun to play with and I was glad The Kid razzed me into heading over to get in the game. I love cashing, but that structure is hard to beat unless you are on fire and hit the right cards at the right time, early on in the tourney.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Agreed. The tourney may as well be a crap shoot unless you manage to pretty much (as I figure it) double your stack every 2 rounds (40min). Not an easy task, but Quads was doubling almost 2 times a round! AA here, KK there, etc etc...

I was holding my own fine in another table, and actually had over 10k in chips when the blinds moved to 500/1000, which was not too much less than Quads had and I was the table chip leader by a bit.

Then IT happened... The other guy that had me almost covered (7500 or so), raised UTG to 3000. Folded to me, I look to see QQ. Putting him on a pair or big cards (AK) based on watching him for the last hour, I decide to re-raise him all in. Folded to him, he calls in a heartbead and I figure I misread his AA or KK and I'm dead... he flips up JJ and the situation looks better than I could imagine... until the turn brings a J!!!!. No river, and I'm down to scratch. I do manage to get some ok cards, steal a few blinds, and build back up to 10,000 for the final table, but being a short stack with the blinds now at 2000/4000, I have to make a stand, but end up losing and taking 9th. place for a meager $95... GRR! All that time for nothing. Oh well, it was fun.

If I had won that QQ vs JJ hand, I would have been chip leader at about 18,000, and would have easily floated to the final table with a big enough stack to not have to take all-in chances before the blinds ate me up... in a sense, I would have probably placed 3rd (the guy that placed 3rd was the JJ guy that took all my chips GRR!!!) LOL

oh well, all in all it was fun. Nice to watch Quads catch amazing hands, then to use his big stack aggressively like he loves to do (although he didnt need to much early, since he was getting monsters like every other hand!!)

Good job on the 2nd place $900 Quads.... now find some losses to counter that IRS form! :evil:

-Kid

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Good showing Quads and BYOC. I played in that tourney only once, about 1 year ago. I think it's hard for a late alternate to win since the blinds would get very high by the time you sit down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts