The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife was at work and it was my last day in the states, so I decided to check out the NL game that I swore off several months ago and The Derby. I decided to just buy in for a $100 to start with, with 1 more $100 buy-in with me just in case. I planned to play tight aggresive, really just planning on staying even but I wouldn't complain about winning a bit either. When I first sat down, I went about 2 orbits without really playing any hands. I had a couple of ok hands (Q,Js, medium pocket pairs) but I didn't want to play them to raises because I wasn't sure how the table was going to be. I eventually got settled in a saw a few flops. Miss miss miss at first. I had Q,J suited on the small blind and decided I wanted to see a flop. Now before I get into this hand, let me just say when I play this game I intentionally portray myself as a very weak player to get people to bet with me, that will explain my action on this hand. I limp in on the small blind and the big blind raises to $15. I call and the flop comes out J,x,x. I check it, BB bets $30, I have $45 left so I go all in He calls and flips aces. I rebuy for my second $100.

I have 9,10s in late postion and raise to $15. I get 1 caller. Flop comes Q,9,10. He checks to me I bet $25, he calls. Hmmm, interesting. Turn brings another Q, he checks again. Now I smell a trap, so I check back. As soon as I check he goes all in in the dark. The river is a Q. Now I have both full houses. Well, with no check raise on the flop and checking the trun with straight draw and flush draw out there, I can't put him on a Q, so I call. Turns out he flopped a straight and I rivered him. I double up back to even.

Well, in the mean time a new guy sits down and is LITERALLY playing every hand to at least the flop, now matter a $50 raise or a limp. He quickly drops $600 without even getting upset about it. I pick up 10,10 under the gun. I raise to $30, folds around to the new guy. Mind you, for the last hour, if he caught ANY part of the flop, he bet out, even with bottom pair, and would call to the river. So, he calls my bet and the flop comes Q,5,6. He checks to me. OK, he obviously has nothing. I push all in for $180. He IMMEDIATELY calls and flips Q,2!!!! Well, I get no help and I leave broke and tilting. I couldn't believe that play, I sat in awe for about 30 seconds after the hand at the table. OOps, my time is running out, TTYL.

Tom

·
Registered
732 Posts
I like your check play on the first hand but hate the play on the second hand. Why play it so fast especially when you know he plays crap hands and that was a crap board. A big overbet (3x the pot) normally reaks of fear or a huge trap and obviously with a lame gambler like this you were 50/50 to take all his money. It may have well been that you were going broke no matter what and it was he who called your all-in so he still played shitty but risking all your chips with one over and 2 more cards to come seems a bit too aggressive but that is just me. I think a pot sized bet would have given you enough info. to possibly lay down on fourth street or win the pot if he did truily have nothing. For my money tens (as well as any mid pair) are hard hands to play and your example is why.

Hopefully you will clean up in the Korea game and come home with a huge roll.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about this play over and over and I'm still on the fence about whether it was the right play or not. I'd really like some more feedback on the pocket 10's vs. Q,2 hand for you guys. My arguement for it being the correct play is as follows. I mentionewd before that he ALWAYS bet when he hit the flop, no matter how big the peace, so I couldn't put him on a Q. When he had big cards, it took big bets to knock him off his overcards. So, if for some reason, he was actually playing decent cards for once, I didn't want to fool around with small bets and keep him in drawing. Keep in mind this guy has put $600 on the table in an hour. Now, here's what I don't like about the play. Risking all my chips on the flop may have been too large of an overbet. Except, I think I was doomed in this hand from the start unless I make absolutely no play at the pot and check/fold to the river. Which, may or may not have been a good idea. I think if you're doing that, however, you are only playing half the game. Remeber that in order to play perfect poker, you've got to play your opponents cards too.

Well, I don't know. Please LMK what all of you think, I'm not sensitive about feedback. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
It sounds to me like he was going to check call you all the way down so even a feeler bet on the flop wouldn't have provided any information. I think your right, all your chips would have ended up going in the pot at some point anyways, so pushing all in on the flop wasn't necessarily a bad move. With players that chaotic theres no way to put them on a solid hand and you always have to trust your read. If you start second guessing yourself at the table you're going to make mistakes.

It sucks you didn't have any more $$ with ya, because I know you could have gottin those chips back if you just waited it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts