Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if i can get any advice on how to play in a limit game where you have 2-4 players who are constantly raising off of each other. Usually pots get capped in these kind of games at least 1 out of every 3 hands. Ive always had a problem when i run into games like this and i just wanted some advice on it.
Mike (pk)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If it is a limit HE game read the section Wild Game in Hold Em Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth. If you don't have the book I will sell one to you in relatively good condition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'd love a copy, in fact if anyone has any poker books they would like to pass along i would be interested. I have small stakes for advanced and tournament poker for advanced by sklansky, and super system, Anything else anyone has i would be interested in
mike (pk)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Party Kid,

This is a type of table that seems pretty common in a 3/6 type environment. People are here to gamble it up, which spurs action. More people will be tempted by the looseness and huge pots, more people seeing rivers, etc.

DON'T fall victim to this. Tighten your game up... play only the absolute best starting cards, and if the raisers are too your right, be sure to re-raise your best hands to get the rest of the regular players out. These guys will get lucky and win, so just be patient and try to scoop the pots where you really have the best of it...

That's how I play this type of limit table, anyway. I'm no Sklansky, though.

-David

PS: S&M's Advanced Hold em' might not be the best book for you here, assuming that you're playing relatively low limits (8/16 or less).
I would seriously consider investing in Lee Jones' "Winning Low Limit Hold em". To me, it's a must-read for anyone engaging in low stakes hold em. Nothing on No limit, but it's still super useful, and can be bouught for $20. Check it out!

-David

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, it is something deep down inside i already knew, but it is hard for me to do. I find that i am pretty hard to be put on tilt, i take bad beats with a stride, its when i fold a winner that a get a little heated up and after this happens 5 + times that is usually when things go down hill for me. I guess it is just somthing i need to work on and thats where i think taking enough losses and getting enough experience comes into mind.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
My thought is that in a lower stakes (3/4, 4/8) limit game, you have a harder time in getting rid of them. In a higher limit or no limit game, I simply get really tight, play premium hands, and play them VERY aggressively. They raise me, I come back over the top of them. Never give them a free card. Check VERY FEW hands to them, if any at all. It may take a few orbits, but soon, they'll get the point that you are there, you're aggressive, you play tight and premium hands, and there to take their chips.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I simply get really tight, play premium hands, and play them VERY aggressively. They raise me, I come back over the top of them. Never give them a free card. Check VERY FEW hands to them, if any at all. It may take a few orbits, but soon, they'll get the point that you are there, you're aggressive, you play tight and premium hands, and there to take their chips.
This is the same style you'd like to play against low limit LAGs. You're not really trying to get rid of them (you can't anyway as you said) you want to punish them for their nonsense.

You just need the cards to cooperate more in low limit games. After a few thumps in the high limit game you may be able to start stealing a few pots. In the low limit games, you can pretty much never steal a pot.

·
Registered
686 Posts
To keep in turn with back-patting, I agree with Hagar here.

YOU CANNOT bluff a pot in 4/8 3/6 type games. Ok, you might get away with it sometimes, but far and wide you will just lose money by bluffing. Semi-bluffing is a different story, though.

These people aren't playing you, they're playing their cards. Just because you only played 4 hands in an hour and showed down monsters to drag pots doesnt mean that they will peg you as "tight/aggressive"... actually they mostly wont peg you at all. Time after time I've shown down big hands, and people still don't give me credit for being a tight/aggressive player... good for me, bad for them ! :twisted:

-David

·
Registered
267 Posts
partykid707 said:
I was wondering if i can get any advice on how to play in a limit game where you have 2-4 players who are constantly raising off of each other. Usually pots get capped in these kind of games at least 1 out of every 3 hands. Ive always had a problem when i run into games like this and i just wanted some advice on it.
Mike (pk)
Not that I am an expert on this, but there is an approach I beleive was authored by Abdul Jalib (who apparently disapeared in 2003), and now a guy named Izmet Fekali called "Ram and Jam". The general idea is that when holding suited connectors in a really loose game, you drive, and help them drive the pot up. Their clain is that the EV over time is higher than jumping out. Supposedly this works well in california style no foldem, cap every round low limit holdem. Requires you have 4 callers at least for every round.

This tactic requires you are comfortable with high variance, and obviously your mileage may vary from his claims:

Rammin' and Jammin' Preflop:
http://slicer.fekali.com:3455/16/23

The author of Poker Stove (hand evaluator) has a link to fekali's site.

Anyone familiar with this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts