Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing much new to report on the Jackson scene. Same table comp. (mostly readable, mostly fishy players) and the operations continue to be a little lacking.

I got there around 12:30 and there was one 3/6 game going. I added my name to the second slot on the 1/2 list. SInce I knew it would be at least an hour, I decided to fling a little money at the "games of chance" downstairs. The only table game I'll play is Let It Ride so I found the empty table and sat down hoping to just break even long enough to hear the NL game being seated. Got nothing for about 12 hands, then finally hooked up with a full house whcih gave me a little cushion to play with. Hit a little here a little there and finally got bored with the game and left +$20. Woo-hoo.

Went back upstairs to see that there were now 5 names on the 1/2 list. The house finally cut a dealer loose from downstairs and they opened up a NL table once we had 6. It was about 2:00. In the early going, the table was ral aggresive, as is normal for a shorthanded game. I stayed out of stuff when I needed, but took control when I had the goods. A couple of the players were fairly solid, the others pretty loose and fishy.

The table finally began to fill up and one of the dealers (I think his name is John) sat down on our side of the table. JR has a policy that allows their employees to buy-in for no more than $100 in any given day in the poker room, provided they are off-duty (obviously) and not in uniform. He was a prety weak tight player but managed to make one good call to build his stack up a little. He and I tangled in one hand.

I had pocket sixes and called a small raise from some other player. I was in very early posisition, the raise came from MP and John was on the button. The flop came T76. I was disapointed to see the original raiser check and was afraid that I gave the table a free card (straight draw and flush draw on the board), but John opened for $20. As much as I wanted to get a few players in behind me, I decided to try and shut the door right there and bumped it up to $60. Rapid fire muck back to John. He paused and I could tell he was genuinely sweating calling the raise. The decision was so hard for him, that I starting to put him on 77. He finally, matched my raise. The turn was the As which made for a flush. I didn't read him on the type who would have opened with a flush draw, so I shoved about $150 at him. Again he sat and pondered. As he pondered I was sure that he didn't have the flush, but was starting to worry that maybe he had flopped a straight and his previous deliberation was just a little hollywood setup. HE finally said "Well, I got outs if you're ahead." and put the rest of his stack in (a little less than mine). He flipped up AT (no spades) and my set held up. He had no choice but to leave, because he had already done his quota for the day. "I'll be back a little later." Sure enough, about an hour later he came back and sat his proper seat, in the dealer's box. He gave me a little good natured business and I gave it right back. Good guy.

A few hands later, I hooked up with AJ in early position and just called. The flop came AJx rainbow. I checked and it checked around. Turn brough another J. Somebody pleeeeease bet. I checked. Well this fishy little guy who had been real splashy and showing lots of nothing all day finally opened for $25. No one else would bite so I had to figure out how to get what was left of his dwindling stack. I just called. River was a... come to think of it, I don't have a clue what the river was - didn't much care. Not wanting to chance a check through I opend for $25 and he threw the last few dollars extra all-in. I called before they could count the $12 extra dollars and he finally got up and left. Wish he had more money, but he was kind of a PITA player.

About this time, the table was filling up. there ended up being 3 regulars join the game. A guy named Brian, who I always see there, usually in the 1/2 or 2/5 game and he's always in the 1 or 10 seat. I'd never played with him before so I was curious to see what his game was. I've seen him with huge stacks and seen them dwindle, but I never knew how they went from A to B. "Back Door" LArry, a guy who sucked out on me a few months back with a 23 hand. Nice guy and fun at the table. Rarely stays for more than a couple hours, but is there almost every day I am.

Then there was Helen, the old biddy nit. She's a very weak player, and is prone to 3/6 game logic. But she is dangerous in her own quiet way. She'll sit on the nuts or second nuts and not raise. If she raises PF you KNOW it's about 55% AA, 40% KK, 5% QQ. NEve raise a big A before the flop and if she raises after the flop, she has at leat 2 pair. But she will bleed you to death by just calling. You naturally put her on a draw when in fact she might actually have tptk or better.

After the regulars sat down, I ran into a little stretch of difficuties. Nothing major, but after pretty much having my way anytime I got involved, it was unsettling to run into targets that were shooting back. No brilliant play, but I had a string of 3 or 4 hands in a short period where I would start out driving only to find out tht I was merely a puppet. The first was against Helen. I had limped with a 67 from MP. The board came something like T87. I hit bottom pair but really didn't much like this board. The flop was checked around. The turn brought me a 6. Again, not really a card that I was looking for, but decided to open the pot. I was just called by Helen. River was some other blank and didn't fill in the flush draw, so I felt a little better about my 2 pair and opened again. Helen again just called. I flipped up what was sure to be the best hand based on the action (I put her on something like AT when she called the river bet). Then seh flips up 99 for a turned straight. WTF? You have second nut and didn't even throw out a feeler raise? Whatever. But, that's her game.

Had a couple other hands similar to that and then went quiet for a while. Cught a few more hands and rebuilt my stack back up to $300 neighborhood and decided to get out of there at about 7:30. Was a little tired and the wife has been giving me a little grief about my poker "dedication", so felt it would be good to be home before it got too late.

Cashed out for $355 and headed home. Another successful field trip.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I know. I was just killing an hour before the game might start. I almost never go downstairs, but just felt like it yesterday. It wasn't a profit seeking mission - I was just gambling for entertainment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts