Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too hot to golf, so I headed up to Jackson for a little action. I was surprised to see only one 3/6 game going with only 4 names on the NL list at noon. Grabbed some lunch and we finally got started (6 handed) at about 1:00.

For a change, I got off to a great start. Got some great cards against some pretty bad players and almost busted the table in about a half hour.

Example of the awful play:
I hook up with AA. I had already been running over the table a bit and was up about $80, easily the big stack. I raised PF (to ~$12) and got 4 callers. Flop comes J74. I open for $30, 2 fold and then a kid to my right goes all-in. I thought he had more chips and was prepared to lay down to what I thought was possible set or even 2 pair. He only had about $15 left so it was an easy crying call. "You hit your set?" he looks at me like I'm crazy and he flipped up Q7! WTF? My AA holds up. I tell the kid "Thanks for the scare, man." trying my best not to give him the "WTF were you thinking" look.

I took 3 people out (unfortunately they only sat down with $40-$60 ea.) and had no reserves. We almost had to break the game for a while, but a 4th and 5th joined the game in short time so we continued. My run continued for a bit and I'm looking down at nearly $500 in about 45 minutes. Wow. Never had a quicky hit like that before.

When the table finally filled about 2:00, my cards dried up. I basically sat and watched for the next 3 hours. I pissed away a few chips chasing a hand or 2, but no real serious damage. I'd drag a pot every once in a while to get back to where I was and then bleed again.

I think I lost exactly one showdown all session and even that was a river beat when I was pushing on second pair a little too hard. I was dodging all the bullets for a change and hitting most of my draws. Making great laydowns (raised with AQ from mid position, was raised and reraised and I figured I was up against at least AK so I laid it down - turns out the reraiser had AA! - the other guy had J9s and called the reraise!). Flopped a couple sets - I even had a set of Ts hold up on a monotone flop:

Raised to $15 with :10c :10s on the button and get 2 callers. Flop was :Ah :10h :4h (? some x heart). Check, check, I bet $50. "50 dollars?!" moaned one of the callers as if he couldn't figure out why I would bet that much. Pot sized bet following a PFR? Unthinkable. He acted llike he made a tough laydown put probably had something like :Jc :9h and was hoping to get a cheap draw for his crappy flush. I don't think so.

There's always a character or 2 at the table and this game was no different. This one 60 yr. old guy sat down and just started going to town with the lessons and in a real aggressive manner. Got real annoying after a while, but he was either pretty bad or running bad (I really was never quite sure which) so I just let him jabber on. After while he goes on about how he was homeless not long ago and was a "professional recycler" for a while. Not sure why he was telling us all that, but he seemed to be proud of it. He made some pretty bad laydowns early on ("I never played with you before, now I know how you play.") type comments. Everyone (including the dealer) was relieved when he left.

There was another old-timer who was telling tales of how he was sitting in Cal-Neva in 1963 when this guy named Amarillo Slim walked in and introduced him to Texas Hold'Em. He was name dropping like crazy (Dolly, Sinatra etc, etc). He was reasonably solid, but he must have alearning disability or something, because he was not at all emulating the "Texas Road Gambler" style of his alleged mentors. I have no reason to doubt the sincerity of his stories, but I just don't know how someone could be such a relatively weak player after 43 years. Maybe his cards were a bit cold, but there were a few times when he played very unaggressive when I think he should have been pushing more.

I also got a first hand look at the guy "they" call (the dealer said he calls himself) "Wizard". He's a bit of a legend in this place; I've heard of him before, butnever seen him. He likes to sit down at a 3/6 table with 500-1000 chips. Indeed, he sat down at the 3/6 game with 5 racks. Rumor has it that he loves to throw chips around, which would explain the severe over buy. He does seem to think a lot of himself. He's a tall guy, in decent shape with feathered hair. He wore big wide brown sunglasses and was dressed like he was some sort of scrungy poker pro in a polo shirt (with some sort of "Wizard" logo on it) and warmup-suit pants. He struts around the room like he's something special and was the running the floor people around like he was some kind of celeb; some of the regular players were dancing around his feet like little puppies trying suck on his ass. If you want to believe any of his stories, (which you can hear from across the room) he plays with some regularity on the WPT and has done some WSOP events. All I know, is that when he left the 3/6 game to go play on a new NL table, he only had 2 racks left of the 5 he started with. And I don't think he was exactly running over the NL game when I left. Pretty funny stuff.

Towards the end of the session, the cards were just telling me to go home. I had one stretch where I had 83, 82, 72, 73 in consecutive hands. I started watching the clock and decided to play a few more orbits. Landed a couple more decent pots (chopped a sizable pot with nut straight) and cashed out at around 6:45 with a $420 profit.

There were at least 8 or 9 players that sat down at one point or another that had absolutle no business being at any poker table, let alone a NL game. Just no clue at all. They were trying to bluff too much, with too little (ie trying to buy a $50 pot with a $10 bet) and figured everyone else was as well. I think I bought 2 pots (semi bluffs or following a PFR with a strong flop bet with overcards) the entire night. After a while I was getting a little bit too much respect when I would raise, but I would still get a little action from somebody.

This game is so much more fun when you get the cards to punish the fools. And there are plenty of fools (young and old) that frequent this place. Even Hagar is ahead of this game: I'm up $640 over 6 sessions and 2 of them I was running very cold, and I was running a little cold in 2 others. Make this a regular stop.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
What a great player to have at the table!

Hag's-
While in Vegas, a dude sits down and raises me all in with a "Cowboy UP" and I start laughing uncontrollably. I call with my set of aces saying I've heard about him all the way from the next state over. He was a little bitter having his pocket Kings snapped off.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hag's-
While in Vegas, a dude sits down and raises me all in with a "Cowboy UP" and I start laughing uncontrollably. I call with my set of aces saying I've heard about him all the way from the next state over. He was a little bitter having his pocket Kings snapped off.
Sweet! I'm surprised he was "bitter" because he seemed to just laugh everything off when I was there (of course he WAS on fire and it is a lot easier to laugh when you're winning most of the big showdowns.)

Wish I was there.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts