The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the afternoon up at Jackson. I had a real up and down and up session. Still going through my cold card phase it seems.

I sat down to a freshly started 2nd 1/2 NL game at 1:00ish. Caught a few small pots, got zero action on my raises and floated around even for a coupe of hours. Landed a few pots and got up aabout $150 for a short spell. Dropped $50 quickly in a call when I flopped a nut flush draw that didn't come (called several all-ins so it was just sit and watch the carrds miss my hand. The winner of this pot was one of 2 ladies who had no business being there. Her pal had busted out and asked if she could share some of her chips. Nobody at the table had any problem with this (they were dead money) except for one of the regular old lady nits (Helen) who was just sitting down. Since they couldn't share, they took the $200 pot and left. I was not happy with that money just walking away.

I've played with Helen a few times and she can be quite annoying sometimes. She's real freindly, but just gets a littl grating sometimes. She comes off as being real tight at first, but the curtain has been pulled back and I know better now. She moved from across the table to my left after about an hour so I had to listen to all her nonsense all night.

She cost me a good chunk of money on one hand. I had raised before the flop with AJo (my raises had been geting so much esoect earlier, that I would push some hands that I wouldn't normally. Helen called as did another kid, who was running a little hot at the tiime. I'd played with him once before and thought he was a reasonably solid player, but my opinion of him has changed now too. The flop gave me top 2 - AJ9 with 2 spades. The kid checked and I fired $25 at the ~$40 pot expecting to take down right there, but get called by both. Great flush draws a plenty. The turn brought a T of spades hitting anything that either could have been drawing at. The kid checked to me, I was ready to check out, and Helen threw another $25 at the pot and the kid jut called. I'd watched Helen throw some chips out at scare cards, so I wasn't convinced she hit the flush. I did have a 4 outer for a boat, so I called the $25 bet. River was a red 3. Check, check and Helen fired at the pot again. The kid judt called and despite my better judgement I decided to play sherrif. Helen was overplaying an A3o and the kid hit a flush with the 86. I really can't believe I was called before the flop with either of those hands (they both know me better than that, but they did and Helen's over play cost me at least $25.

At this point, the table was plying as if it was a 2/4 limit game and it was just hurting my head. The crap that was draggin pots was amazing and the play was horrendous. A little later, there was another hand that was played pretty poorly (IMO) by BOTh of my opponents. I was in the BB with AQo. Ther was a decent raise to like $20 from middle position, The old guy to my left (calling station who was into the game for at least $500) called. I had about $60 left and decided to let my reputation take the pot and shoved. The original raiser shoved $200a and the old guy called his last $70. I didn't like this one bit, figuring I had run into AA or KK form the original raiser. I flip up AQ, HE flipped up AQ and the old guy didn't flash his hand yet. The flop came 494 so old guy was proud enough to show his 99 now. I'm sorry, but calling a tight player's all-in re-raise with AQ is a bad move (AQ is terrible calling hand - ask Dolly) and calling not one, but 3 big raises with 99 is just asking to get busted. Neither could understand why I was scratching my head so hard. Absolutley rediculous play and it was paying off for the worst players. This was the theme for about 3 hours of the session. Worst hand wins. (I know that 99 is the better hand in that spot, but any reasonable player would have gotten off that hand there - all the classic signs were in place for an AA-KK matchup.)

I rebought and went through a similar cycle, build a little, bleed a little. Snore a lot. Repeat. I had JJ cracked by KQ, no biggy, but iritating none the less. I had about $100 in front of me when the hand of the night hit:

I was in early position and limped with T9o. The kid to my left (Helen had moved to my right when old man calling station left) raised it to $17 (the same amount I raised with my JJ and told him: "That $17 raise is baaaaad juju!"
"Huh?"
"Just had my jacks snaped with a $17 raise"
"Oh yeah, whatever."

There were 3 or 4 callers ahead of me and I decided that I was getting enough odds to call as well - I don't really like such a weak hand as that in a raised pot, but figured I was due to have the worst hand win. The flop came A87 with 2 diamonds. I hit the flop pretty good with an open ender. Hoping the the kid to my left had KK or QQ and was afraid of the A, I checked. He bet ~$25. I was busy deciding if I felt like calling that bet when all of a sudden one of the others went all-in for ~$70. The next guy went all-in with ~$80. Wow. We all hit the flop that good. While I was thinking about the odds, the kid to my left made it obvious that he was gonna call (sometimes it pays to think a few ckicks - you never know what info you're gonna get); I had plenty of odds to throw my last $82 at the draw. I hate going all-in on a draw, but I was getting nearly 4:1 and had to do it. Indeed the kid to my left called. We flipped up:

kid had flopped a set of 7s
first all in had an A5o
second all-in had AKs with a backdoor flush draw
i had a clean 8 outer with my T9
the river brought a second club knocking my outs down to 6 with the AK draw. I was calling for a six (I hadn't seen all of the cards yet and was somehow worried about the J filling in someone else's hand (don't know why now that I think about it) and I almost missed the fact that I just hit my straight when the J spades appeared. Holy shit. Hagar hits a draw in a big pot? Unheard of. It was one of the strangest feelings ever. I almost never hit draws like that. The 2 all-ins went packing and the kid to my left was moening a little about the suck out. "I told you about that $17 raise, didn't I?" He just rolled his eyes and chuckled.

Well, that $400 pot got me unstuck and then some. I played a few more orbits and decided to pull out at about 8:00 while the chips were still in my hand (there was one guy who still had mew outstacked and another who was pretty close - 1 bad hand and it could all be gone. 7 hours and a ~$200 profit (I actually cashed out at +186) is good enough for me. I heard a few "hit and run" comments from the splashers at the other end. I just shook my head and rolled my eyes - they knew better - I think.

All in all, it was the WORST play I've ever seen, even for there. There was one guy who kept trying to bet $3 and bet in $3 and $6 increments as if it were a 3/6 game. I shit you not. The dealer was getting annoyed because he'd "call" the blind with $3. "Sir - the blind is $2. If you want to raise it needs to be at least $4, if you want to call it's only $2." Over and over. It was actually a little funny, but as I said earlier, for about 3 or 4 hours, I would have sworn I was sitting in a limit game with all the small bets or calling raises (any size) with typical limit calling hands - and the calling hands were hooking up. At one point, I was hoping I was experiencing a bad dream, because it was so freaking weird.

[Edited]

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I'm going to get you a hat (or shirt) that says "I raise, $17"

'Bout damn time you start hitting your open enders.....

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Unless you can predict the players and the cards, it's a double edged sword.... oh and add pot odds and implied odds to the mix as well.

When you don't stay in the hand (and it hits) you think, shit! I should have stayed in..... that was a stupid play.

When you stay in it and it doesn't hit, you think, shit! I should have gotten out. That was a stupid play.

So I guess at the end of the day, you hit some, you miss others, and try to best judge the players in coordination with some odds calculation towards getting paid off.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code:
When you don't stay in the hand (and it hits) you think, shit! I should have stayed in..... that was a stupid play. 

When you stay in it and it doesn't hit, you think, shit! I should have gotten out. That was a stupid play.
This is the entire crux of using odds when making these decisions (more so in a cash game than in a tourney situation - I wouldn't have risked my tourney life on that call).

If you are getting correct odds, whether it be pot odds, or correctly judged implied odds then you're making the correct call. If it doesn't hit and you had odds, it was still the correct decision - you'll your rewards IN THE LONG RUN. If you don't have the odds, you get out and it hits you still made the right decision. It's momentarily frustrating (especially when you can't drag a pot to save your life), sure, but it's still correct.

That's what drives me so nuts about all the bad calls that are made against me and then they connect. They are making bad mistakes, but getting paid anyway. I KNOW that in the long run, these fools will make me money, but it's still frustrating. Making pot sized bets kills most drawing odds unless at least a couple people get in the mix and then the last few callers are getting what they need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts