Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we didn't have anything planned, I headed up to Jackson after my golf tourney - in which I shot a carreer low 81! (don't ask me how) - to get some action. I got ther about 5:15 and was immediatley seated at the only 1/2 NL game in progress. There were about 5 3/6 games going, 1 - 1/2 NL and 1 2/5 NL game in progress. (The 2/5 with a 100-200 buy-in is a new offering at Jackson - thought you bigger players would want to know about it.)

The 1/2 game was unusually quiet and releativewly tight for the most part. I sat down to a 6 or 7 handed game and was probably second or third chip leader with my 100 buy-in. Ther was one guy with about $500 in front of him and another who was in the $100 neighborhood. Everyone else was in the $40-$60 range. After an orbit, I was really only concerned about the big stack guy and his buddy regarding having to deal with any problematic players - the rest were just in the wrong place.

I landed a few small pots relatively early and got up about $80. Then I went into a cold spell for about an hour and a half and just bled a little. Then I'd hit a couple hands, jump up another $80 and then sit and watch for a while. Pretty much the story of my 8 hour session. Snore, snore snore. Score, score. Snore, snore, snore, score. (Repeat this sequence for as long as you wish.)

About 3 hours in, this cocky kid sat down mumbling about being "stuck $200, whoops rebuy, nake that $300" and hopw he wanted to get unstuck. He was a real splasher and liked the sound of his own voice way too much. He had been raising, showing his bluffs and dragging small pots with real marginal cards. I just watched most of this, but I had a chance to make him get more stuck.

A fairly solid player (Played with him brefore) made a small raise from middle position and Splasher boy doubled his raise. I look down to find pocket tens - best hand I'd seen in 2 hours. Figuring A:Solid guy would either get out of the way with anything less than QQ and B: Splasher had a relatively weak hand (any 2 face cards?) I could isolate Splasher with a big bet. I made it $50 to go on the button. Solid guy ran away, and Splasher went to hollywood. (HE did this a lot - making it clear to everyone that he had a very hard decision on any hand that he met resistance. ZZZZZZZZ) HE finally called. The flop came T9x, with a T( of the same suit. Splashy checked and I decided to put pressure on whatever draw this would put him on. I shoved $85. Splasher went to hollywood for a long time. He wne on about thinking I had AA or KK but he really lked that flop. Blah, balh, blah. ABout 5 minutes later he finally called and he exposed QQ when I showed him top set. I was well ahead but I know better than to start counting the pot until after the river. The turn brought a 9 so I know had a boat - there was no worry about a backdoor flush or straight, but he still had 2 outs. River was a J and I drug the pot. After the hand, I realized how lucky I got to hit my set and to get paid off. I really out him on trash and would never have gone over the top if I suspected he had a "real" hand.

A few minutes later I look up to see Kasper about to sit down to my right. He decided to come up and check out the fish market. He sat down drtug a few small pots and then ran into a few bad luck hands. Re-bought, hit a few small pots and then some more bad luck. He went in search of an ATM (turns out he had to wrestle with it to get his money - I'll let him tell the story...) and he came back about 45 minutes later. He moved to my left, and hit a few small pots. I decided to go get some grub (I was riding through one of the "snore" spells) and when I returned 15 minutes later, he was gone. Hope he hit a couple of biggies to get unstuck.

AS I was sitting down after dinner, I look over and see Scooter sitting at one of the 3/6 tables. I go over to say hey and see that BW is there as well. I ask them why in the hell they are playing the 3/6 game and they say they're waiting for one of the NL games and something about wanting to gouge their eyes out with a hot, dull, rusty, butter kniife. I just roll my eyes and tell them to get some dinner or take a nap or something -it's just no worth it!

There was this one Asian kid (had a real feminine face) who just thought he was a bag of chips and the dip. HE watched for a few orbits, saw the lack of action and took it upon himself to start stealing pots. Steal, steal, steal show. "One of these times you guys have to call. TAlk about a setup, but it was working so far. He was in a hand 3 ways with a guy who just went all-in for $10, and a caller to his right. Fem-face raised and then told his nieghbor not to call, he had top pair. His neighbor thought for a few and put himself all-in for another $30. Fem-face folded figuring his neighbor had to have him beat. Nieghbor turned up second pair with an Ace (went on to drag the pot with an Ace on the river) and Fem-face couldn't believe it. He just got bluffed out of a pot that he tried to angle himself into. "I told you what I had - how could you raise?" It was pretty funny.

A little while later I got into a hand with Fem-face. I held A9 on the button and flopped top 2. There was a flush draw and a straight draw on the board so I tried to shut the door right there. There was a $10 open. Fem-face called. I made it $40 to go. Opener mucked and Fem-face called. He caught his flush on the turn and tried to check raise me. Right. (See my thoughts regarding the "implied" odds comment in another post). I knew he hit his draw and hoped to boat up on the river. River was another heart, Fem face fired and I threw my 2 pair away with no regrets. "Nice catch."
"I didn't need the river, I had it on the turn."
"I know that. Do you think I'm stupid. You're lucky I didn't hi my 4 outer on the river."
"I was just rying to help you out."
"Yeah, thanks." (Nice call retard.)
The guy was pretty annoying.

Somewhere in the 11:30 range, I see BW leaving the poker room (She wasn't carrying any chips and she wasn't happy) and then a few minutes later I notice Scooter was moved to the 2/5 game. ABout a half hour later, there was a tap on my sholder and there was BW with a fresh rack moving into the freshly vacated seat (By yet another know it all young gun) to my right. "Oh, Oh. I gotta go now!" I say as she makes her way into the game. 10 minutes later Scotter also joins the game and I make the same lame comment.

I actually was starting to get tired and was near the end of my session, but I decided to play a few hands with my BYOC buddies. Scooter turned into quite a splasher, burning through a buy-in pretty quick after trying to steal the blinds with a ~$40 all-n with T4o. I gave him the "WTF?" look and just giggled "Trying to steal the blinds." was his response. ANd then he started straddling, which was of course something new to about half the table. Scooter went into his straddle mentor mode and started corrupting the two young bucks to his left. He talked one of them into trying it. The kid didn't care for the results of losing $4 blind and swore off straddling for the rest of his life when I asked him "How'd that work out for you?"

Over all it was a pretty fun table. It wasn't real lively in the middle, but most everyone was contributing to a lively, jovial spirit. I actually went on a little bit of a run when they sat down and got my stack up to ~$350 at one point. I bled about $60 away and finally pulled out at about 1:00 - $190 to the good. Not a great hourly rate, but I did what I could with the tools I got. I rightfully got out of 2 or 3 spots that I was pushing marginal holdings and got pushed back. I mgot paid pretty good when I hit good hands and was able to steal a few pots with my very rocky presence. I was quite pleased with my session over all.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I talked to Scooter and BW and they said they were heading out there. I didn't roll out there due to a migrane.

Knowing they are running a 2/5 NL game, makes it all the more tempting to his that game midweek rather than the BS.

Thanks for the trip report.

·
PMC General Counsel
2,436 Posts
It was strange that Jackson had only 2 NL tables on a Sat night. Why the F_ _ K were they running 6 or 7 3/6 tables? It got really old waiting 2.5 hours for a no-limit seat.
Anyways, I ended up making a comeback with some aggressive plays on the 1/2 NL table and cashed about $150 up. BW about $150 down.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was strange that Jackson had only 2 NL tables on a Sat night. Why the F_ _ K were they running 6 or 7 3/6 tables? It got really old waiting 2.5 hours for a no-limit seat.
I get the impression that they add new tables based on the current wait list. They probably just had a lot more interest in the 3/6 game than the NL early in the day and didn't bother to adjust (combine a few 3/6 to open a NL) when it ogt later.

I imagine their goal is to fill every seat they can regardless of what game is spread so they can maximize their rake and I guess I really can't blame them. It's too bad they can't set aside x number of tables for NL because the wait list for that game is always brutal after 6:00, especially on weekends. The bottom line is this: it pays to get there as early as possible. The NL game is much easier if you get seated at a new game (you're not facing huge stacks) and it's more likely that you won't have to wait too long. I've been lucky so far and have waited less than an hour for all my sessions and the long ones were earlier in the day when they hadn't started a NL game yet or only had one game going.

Also: I heard rumors that they are nearing the ability to start running tourneys. They've ben waiting for chips, which are now in. I guess they just need to figure out the when, how big and how much part of the equation. I see this being a problem for table space as well. They gonna use all of their rake machines for tourney or limit tourneys to 3 or 4 tables? They really don't have enough tables to run a big tourney and have cash games going as well. I hope they don't kill the cash games for the sake of tourneys; it'll end up being much like the Derby's tourney days if they do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts