The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm new to Humidors, not new to cigars just never had a humidor of my own. I have been seasoning my new humidor for about 6 days now, I calibrated the hygrometer prior with a boveda pack and now seasoning with a sponge. it is reading 82% how long should I leave it?

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
I bet you’re ok now, a week should be good enough. Use more of the Boveda bags than necessary, they will last longer. They are also rechargeable. I use 65%, 69% is also popular. The Boveda instructions will tell you how many you need, double it. Also, get a good electronic hygrometer, the ones in the humidor are not that accurate, although if you calibrate them they are close.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet dixie, thanks, ya I happen to have a 72% boveda pack and after calibrating my hygrometer it says
exactly 72% for over 24 hours now I realize thats probably a little high but just basing the analog gauge seems to be pretty close.

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
65% Boveda FTW! I don't use anything different. I'm also a cheap ass and reload my Boveda's in a meal prep container creating a greenhouse effect to reload them.

Check the seal on your humidor. Make sure it makes a swooshing sound when you close it. Bad seal = leaky humidor. One of my humidors kinda sucks. Probably my most expensive one too, but I got it as a gift from my brother. Always have a difficult time keeping it regulated.

T

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
72% won't hurt them, but I'd get a half dozen at either 65% like T and I favor, or 69% for the long haul.

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
Actually, you can calibrate that thing with a Boveda bag. It has a screw adjustment on the back of it.

Remove the hygrometer and put it in a heavy duty double ziplock freezer bag with a fresh Boveda bag, leave on counter for 24 hours.

Read the hygrometer reading through the bag without opening it. It should match the Boveda bag. If not, mark the offset. For example, if you have it in a bag with a 65% Boveda bag, but it reads 68% after 24 hours, you write down the hygrometer has a +3 offset.

Remove it, use a small screwdriver to bring the needle down a minus -3 degrees. Put it back in the back and seal it with the Boveda bag and check again in 24 hours at which point it should agree with the bag % RH. If still off, readjust.

Now you will have this thing calibrated in the range of the Boveda bag, and then you should be confident in it. But I still prefer those electronic ones. You can calibrate them the same way.

JC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts