Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Is this something you're going to try? I thought about giving it a go on my last round of aprons, instead of kerf-cutting them - but in the end kerfing was more readily available...

I think there are some chemical methods too, but seems like there were some drawbacks over steam.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Years ago I was going to, but I have a buddy who is like NASCAR Pete in that he can do pretty much anything with wood. He's got a Norm Abromson (sp) type woodshop, so I took my material over there and he walked me through it and I used his 8' X 8' table to clamp and set all my bends for the weekend.

I've never needed to bend enough stuff to justify building one to have, but at times, there are no two ways about it, you can't do a job without it.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Quads!

Lately I've gone more toward the round stuff (lathe work) than the flat work so I have not made a steam box yet.
If I was gonna do more that two tables then I would make a steam box ASAP because it offers a few things that kerfs do not. IMO of course.
After the steam box you will need to make your bending templete for the radius you want.

And a good pair of gloves!!!

Aloha, Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is old as hell, hope I don't get yelled at too bad.

Has anybody had any luck with this using plywood? I thought about it enough to research it, and everything im reading says you can't steam bend plywood. With the cost of solid wood, i'd rather just kerf. I also found kerfkore, but the stuff is around $170 a sheet, then you still have to veneer it. For that price again I'd rather just kerf myself.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
No yelling!

For plywood you can really only kerf. Unless you have multiple layers of like 1/8" ply. Any steam would destroy the glue in ply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts