Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this yesterday. Seriously considering a retro fit. This is much more affordable, although much less automated, than the RFID table from Australia. I already have some of the materials needed.

Table Build

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I decided to do this as a COVID project. I ordered the cameras and some of the wiring needs from AliExpress. Basically got them half-price than from Amazon, just had to wait for the slow-boat-from-China to get here. No biggie since I don't have a timeframe yet on being able to resume my tournaments.

The construction of the table is complete. Here are some pics.

Original table:
table1.jpg

Laying out camera placement:
Table2.jpg

Initial wiring:
Table3.jpg

Initial video test:
Table4.jpg

Raising the rail - due to the design of the original table, this proved to be one of the most difficult parts. Cutting out these blocks was a PITA. I needed about 25 of them and using a jigsaw on something that was basically 2"x3" was a non-starter. I asked a couple locals if anyone had a band saw but no luck. My step bro and Quads both suggested using the table saw, but it took a while to sink in what they both meant by it (using it dado style rather than as a rip cut). After that, it was pretty simple. So a shout out to Quads for getting my brain to engage.
Table5.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mounting the wiring connectors:
Table11.jpg

Table12.jpg

Added weather stripping to fill in the gaps due to minor variances in the block size and the rail (yes, the blocks are numbered to ensure they stayed where they were fit to):
Table13.jpg

Initial fitting of inside covering:
Table14.jpg

Table15.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Table16.jpg

This is where I deviated from the original plans. I have a wifey that dabbles in scrapbooking and has an entire bedroom filled with that crap. So I decided to make use of it and add graphics to my raised railing.

Initial graphics layout:
Table17.jpg

Doing the rest of the graphics:
Table18.jpg

Final test fit:
Table19.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Construction complete:
Table20.jpg

Table21.jpg

Now I need to finish wiring up the DVR and determine how I want to mount/store that. I also have a couple of overhead cameras I will mount to my drop ceiling to pick up the action on the table/board cards/etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It ended up running me more than estimated. $50 of the overrun was due to the supplies for the graphics and another $50+ for the plastic and additional hardware after my first thought didn't pan out. Total came to $500 all-in.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished the external wiring today while watching the Lions play like shit.

10 cams connected to the DVR
Table22.jpg

All 10 on screen for the first time:
table23.jpg

Next up, work on the overhead cams.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
That is awesome work! Do you have plans for some type of event that you'll actually use this tech for? or is it more just for the cool factor?

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once I am able to resume my regular (or semi-regular) tournaments, I plan to record the final table (remember - my regular tourneys average 45 players each - so I have no intention on turning on the cams until the final table, just don't need that much video to go through) then produce a video of the best hands. We'll see how time consuming that is and that will determine how long the video actually is. Then post on youtube or burn to DVD for the players to view.

Otherwise, the cool factor is the primary driver, once I was able to determine it could be done for reasonable cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very cool set up, Great job on the retro fit! Def not easy to pull off.

Now you need to hire Norman Chad to provide commentary. He's not to busy these days....lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, for those of you who looked at the link in the OP where I got this idea from, they built a box to house their DVR and wiring in. Originally, I was just going to get some plastic storage tote or something like that. But they were either too small or too large for my liking. So I ended up building a box myself, pretty much modeled after their plans, with a couple mods.

They used guides for their sliding door covers. I assume this is because they don't have a router. I, OTOH, do have a router, so I used it for my guides instead.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts