Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, reading about the upcoming televising of the national head's up tourney, my interest in doing this is renewed. (I started a new thread on this so we viewers could get right to the meat - there is a whole other discussion on this topic in another thread.)

The Plan:
$40 Buy-In
16 players (if we get swarmed with interest, we'll try to shoot for 32)

One Day event. We'll start at noon with 2 tables. We'll play 2 matches on each table, so we can get 4 matches in at once.

With sixteen players, there will be 8 Round A matches, so there will need to be 2 first round sessions.

It's really hard to estimate how long each match will take. An hour to an hour and a half would be my best guess (though it could be 30 seconds).

To make the timing as fair as possible for everyone, everyone will be required to show up at noon. The non playing players will deal and shuffle for the players; the roles will be reversed for the second session. Translation: if you sign up for this tournament, you're commited to hanging around for the first two rounds win or lose. (Just so none of the second session players decides to be convienently late, we'll draw the brackets just before the tourney - you won't know if you'll be in the sfirst or second seating until you get here.) Plan to arrive by no later than 11:45)

We'll take a 15 minute break between the first and second rounds. At this point we'll need to see if we have enough volunteeers to deal and shuffle. We may need to self deal the second round, hopefully we'll at least have volunteer shufflers.

After the second round, we'll see if a longer break (enough time to eat) is in order. If any one of the semifinalists wants a break we take it. If we don't take it at that point then we'll take it before the finals.

Game Structure:
NL Texas Holdem
Each player recieves 200 chips. (they all have the same value)
Blinds: 1/2, 2/4, 4/8, 8/16 etc.... every 20 minutes.

My thoughts behind this structure:
The first round is pretty light blinds for the starting chips. It gives the players a chance to get settled ino the format rythm without bleeding all of their chips away.
The second round is a good blind level for the starting chips - if you stayed fairly even in the first round, it's time to start playing.
By the third round, you really need to be in the game or else you'll just get eaten up by the blinds.
If we made it to the 4th round, it's time to get things over with - if you happen to be dead even at this point, you have about 8 hands worth of binds left. I don't see this thing lasting more than 4 rounds.

We'll allow a bathroom break between each round if needed.

All players will be placed randomly in the brackets.

Each player will start with 200 chips of a unique color which will make it real easy to set the table for the next match.

Payouts:
Winner: $320
Runner up: $160
Semifinalists: $80 ea.

Bottom line: You have to win 2 matches to get into the money

Projected schedule:
Noon: First session, Round A (8 active players, 16 players total)
1:45: Second session, Round A (8 active players)
3:30 Round B (8 players)
5:15 Round C (4 players)
8:00 Finals (2 players)
Done by 10:00

After Round B we would have a table open for a cash game if there is interest.

So this is my plan, If anyone sees any major oversights, please pipe up early.

If you sign up for this tourney it is critical that you honor your commitment. One player short really fouls up the works. I will accept players on a backup list, but it would be real nice if we don't need to go there.

At this time I'm scheduling it for June 4.

I'm giving BYOC players first crack, but will start allowing guests in a couple of weeks, if we're not full.

If somehow mange to get to 32 players we'll have to either do it over 2 days or start earlier and get 4 tables in play either here or at 2 sites. We'll cross that bridge when we need to......

Evites are forth coming.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I have not voiced about this tourney on the previous post. I may not attend because I am not sure I will be in town that weekend, but here are my thoughts (this is assuming a 16-player draw):

1. Instead of breaking into 2 first round sessions. Just have everyone play at once. In order to do this we need 2 tables. Have 8 players at each table and seat the opponents across the table from each other (the table should be wide enough to sit 4 abreast). Players have to deal themselves (just like any other 2-handed games). It would be nice to have 1 set up (i.e. 2 decks per match) so the nondealer could shuffle so there is minimum down time (of course, if it is too difficult to shuffle and think during the hand I would perfectly understand just playing with 1 deck).

2. Determine how many players want to play a cash game afterwards (since everyone should allot the whole day because s/he should plan to win it all). If we have enough interest we should try to get 2 cash games going after the tourney. This means allow additional people to come (who were not interested in playing the tourney) to come after the tourney. A way to do this is for Hagar to redo the RSVP on Evite for player to choose: (1) they want to play the tourney and stay to play cash game (2) they want to play the tourney and leave after they are eliminated, and (3) they don't want to play the tourney but are interested in a cash game afterwords (like a late seat). Note: I don't mean to usurp the tourney because that is the main event so we could keep the Evite as it is set up and let the cash game take care of itself.

3. In case we have less than 16 (say 14 or 15 because of some late cancellations) we have to give byes to some lucky players. Instead of assigning byes by random draw we should put the bye or byes up for bid. Whoever offers the highest price will get the bye (e.g., the entry fee in $40 someone might offer $50 to enter and get a bye to the second round). I call it Buy the Bye, by the by (get it)?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,
I appreciate your input but, I'm going to leave things as they are for this event. I need to see how things flow before I can start dialing things in. I think it will be just too hectic and crowded to try to force 4 matches onto one table - there's probably room for players but I can see all sorts of problems with players looking at the wrong boards or chips or cards getting mixed up. If things go real smooth this time, I'll consider doing as you suggest.

Regarding opening up the evite for options, it's been my experience thus far that it will only serve to make things very complicated for me as a host to have players responding to 3 or 4 different options. This is a new style of event and I plan to keep it as simple as possible the first time. I have no problem with a cash game springing up after a table frees up and have no problem if people want to come and just play the cash game. BUt my goal is to manage the main event (tournament) as best I can and let everything else take care of itself.

I am really hoping that we won't have to deal with byes. That will complicate things a great deal. If we do end up with open spots, I'll look into something slike you proposed. My preference would be for a plyer that get's eliminated in the early Round A would rebuy and take a second shot at it. If we have fewer than 14, I'd likely knock it down to an 8 player event. I fully expect to have a couple people on an alternate list, but we'll just have to see in about a month where we stand.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I want to let you know I am definitely coming, provided I am not out of town that weekend.

Now, to your response to my post:

2. You are right. KISS is the best plan.

1. I understand it would be pretty hectic with 4 across. But I would bet if we take a poll people would rather play than wait. I think people are sharp enough to concentrate on their own board. How about this: we have 2 regular tables sitting 3 across (6 matches) and we set up 2 square folding card tables (I will volunteer to bring one if I attend, but I think almost everyone have them at home) for the other 2 individual matches (I will be willing to volunteer to play outside of the garage if it is not too windy).

3. I have no problem with first round losers rebuying into the open slot if we have a bye. However, that means unnecessary waiting again (Of course with my proposal the person who buys the bye will have to wait for the 2nd round match but I think it is worth the wait because you only need to beat 1 opponent to be in the money). Also, that assumes somebody will be willing to buy back into the tourney.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...i would hate to have to wait.
Nobody "waits" - everybody is either playing, dealing or shuffling for Round A (first and second seating).

And BTW this next comment is a general statement, not aimed at PK or Ace:

If you don't like what the host has planned, either deal with it or don't come. I don't mean to sound like a pompous ass, but it gets really old when there is nothing but "ways to make it perfect" everytime a host tries to step up and try something a little different. If you have suggestions, private communication of constructive advice is appreciated. Public suggestions tend to sabotage an otherwise workable plan because you end up with 20 opinions on how to do something "better" and it turns into a pissing match. I'm not angry, but it sure gets tiresome.....

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hagar, I am always appreciative for people like you who are innovative and are willing to host. My suggestions are not criticisms. We just have to agree to disagree on some issues (although I will send you one last private email to see if we could work this out, but a host you have the final say on the matter.)

Heads up tourney is really brand new to our group and tricky to run so it is difficult to get it totally right the first time.

In general, like the saying goes: "Two heads are better than one." That's why corporations have boards, the military has a joint counsels (and thus they have the so called JANFU-Joint Army-Navy Fuck Up), and the president has a cabinet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the way Hagar has it planned. I think the whole thing will go much smoother if there is a seperate dealer rather than trying to deal and play at the same time. Also, I like the re-buy idea if for some reason we have a bye. If more than 1 person wants a re-buy we can just flip for it or something.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry hagar i just figured that is what a forum is for, people to post their ideas opinions ect. It's your game so of course it will be your way. I just do not see how other people voicing their input would be a problem
mike(pk)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - I've been thinking this over a bit and am willing to try to seat the entire first round at once. In order to do this I'll need help with supplies.

I'll need:
- A third full table or 2 regular "card tables" (the old style folding leg square tables) Tom has offered one of these so I'll need one more volunteered. (I haven't formally asked yet :oops:, but I'm counting on Dodger to bring his table as Table 2 at this point )

- 4 setups of cards. I have 4 setup (2 decks of KEM or = cards) so I need 4 more to be able to play 8 games at once.

- 6 cut cards

- 1000 chips - Dodger can you bring your chips?

If you got stuff to bring let me know.

To do this we'll be dealing our own games (shouldn't be a big deal) and playing 3 games at once on each of the full size tables for the first round. This will get us done about 2 hours earlier which should promote better interest in a cash game - there will be 8 people done with the tourney after the first round and another 4 about 2 hours later. There will be one table available right away. The entire tourney should be done around 8:00 instead of 10:00.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If someone wants to use a truck I can offer my table. I can certainly bring chips and cards if you need.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can bring table, cards, chips, fresh pair of underwear, heroin, tuna casserole and anything else you may need. :brilsmurf:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK - I have:

Dodger officialy down for table 2, 1-Card setup (w/cut card) his chips and some heroine.

BK down for a card setup (w/cut card) Is there anyone with a truck who lives in the Roseville area that would be willing to transport his table?

Still needed:

2 card setups
4 cut cards
1 table (small folding type or full size)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Thanks for taking my suggestion, Hagar. I think it will speed up the tourney which means more poker for everyone. And most importantly, you can get these obnoxious BYOCers out of your house 1.5 hours early (theoretically, at least).

I will bring the folding table as promised. I have 2 set ups (4 decks) and I believe 2 cut cards I can bring also.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hagar,

I have 6 cut cards (KEM poker sized) and 2 decks of KEM cards, as well as chips and a button if needed. Let me know if you need anything... I'm also still interested in playing, of course.

-david

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hags,

I have 4 sets of Kems and 2 sets of Copag. I can bring all. I only have 4 cut cards but can make more.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BK and Kid: Bring your cards and cut cards. (I'd rather have a few "extra" sets available in case someone forgets.)

I'm not going t o worry about buttons - we'll be doing our own dealing so it should be easy enough to keep track of that.

So it looks like the only detail left is the third full size table or the second old style card table.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
In the unlikely event that we don't have a 2nd folding table or 3rd full-size table I propose Hagar and his first round opponent to play inside his house using his dining room table or something like that.

·
Badministrator
42,728 Posts
Although I don't think I'm able to play in it, if my short handed table is needed, I'll offer that up to Hag's. Come and get it if you need it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Although I don't think I'm able to play in it, if my short handed table is needed, I'll offer that up to Hag's. Come and get it if you need it.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm drawing the "personal effort" line at having to run around picking and dropping stuff off. If someone else can grab it for me, I'd welcome your table.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.