Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm picking up a new shotty this weekend, I plan to use it mainly for home defense, and I don't plan to buy a safe for long guns. At this point, I'm planning on closet storage. The gun needs to be loaded when stored, so I need a solution that prevents it from being fired when stored, but I'm not interested in a trigger lock. I want quick access to a loaded weapon, but I want it to be secured when in storage. I suppose a trigger lock can be removed at night and re-installed in the morning.

I'm considering the following options:

Santa Cruz Closet Set up - $214

Looks like the lock prevents racking, thus no need for a trigger guard. Just unlock when I go to bed, and lock again in the morning. In an emegency, grab the gun, rack it, and go.

Santa Cruz Fixed Wall Setup - $171

I'm concerned as its not clear if this option prevents racking. If not, although the gun is secured, it could be racked and fired in storage. Mounting inside the closet above the doors is an option though.

Mossberg Loc-Box - $38.59

The hook goes through the ejection port, so again, no need for a trigger guard. However, this doesn't seem to be a open-and-grab type solution... You'd have to lift the gun up to clear the hook from the ejection port, then pull it out slightly (so the hook is now out of the ejection port), then slide the weapon down to clear the muzzle hook. I don't know if this is optimal in a panic situation. This website says it will fit the 870, however.

Does anyone have experience/opinions about the above options? Does anyone have any other solutions?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
yep...if the bad guy is bearing down on you..those extra seconds may be critical.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Something tells me the loaded weapon sitting there is more dangerous 100% of the time. Intruder in your house is a pretty rare event, which does not equal 100% of the time. I'd rather gamble that I'd have 3 seconds than have a loaded weapon that heaven forbid the wrong person or child gets their hands on. Store the gun and the ammo seperate.

But I'm not going to argue with the fanatics, and as I said, I'm not an expert so I'm not qualified to get into the discussion.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
if the gun is properly locked up there is no appreciable danger. By storing the ammo and the gun in separate places...maybe the gun will work when you shout "bang, bang" at the intruder. But I doubt it! I don't appreciate being called a fanatic. I am an enthusiast!

·
Registered
29,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we're both with you Bratwurst. As the saying goes, its better to gun-proof the child than to try to child proof the gun. However, with human life at stake, I'd prefer to take the extra step of securing my weapons.

That said, I need it at the ready when the shit goes down.

The middle of the night is a time when its unlikely that I'll need to keep it away from curious hands, but more likely that I'll need to use it for HD. That's why I'm looking for an alternative that will allow me to secure it when its not needed, but be ready when the time comes. Until I find the right solution, it won't be loaded.

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
Wedge, I have the Mossberg LocBox affair in my bedroom closet. I keep the shotty in there during the day, put it by the bed at night.

I think it's a great system. Not burglar proof, but definitely kid proof. It's a good piece of gear at a reasonable price.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts