Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'7 and know I need a custom set of irons. My last set was about 8 years ago and don't remember the specs but I did get them static fitted. From all the online fitting sites with my specs (6'7" 40inches wrist to floor.) most are saying 1.25+ length and 4deg upright? Does this sound about right? With buying them online at TGW.com I can save over $250 bucks over getting them local. I know a static fit isn't the best but the savings over getting them locally is almost to much. Question is if I do get them 4' upright, can they still be adjusted locally to a less degree if needed or will I be stuck?

Oh and does anyone own the R9 irons? Thats the set I've pretty much settled on. Hit them in store (stock) and they felt and looked good to me.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I can't remember what those clubs can be bent to for sure but most clubs with a chrome finish can only go 2 deg in either direction once the chrome is but on them. Or you will crack the finish.

Those settings don't look too bad. But keep in mind if the clubs don't fit you it will mess with your game. It might not matter to a beginner as much. So is it worth the gamble to you? I would say yes. Only on the assumption that it will only cost you about $50 or less to get them adjusted once you get them. That would still save you about $200.

Just my .02 worth.

Bob

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't remember what those clubs can be bent to for sure but most clubs with a chrome finish can only go 2 deg in either direction once the chrome is but on them. Or you will crack the finish.

Bob
The +/- 2 deg is what I've been reading as well for max adjustment. TGW gets them made at this spec from Taylormade so in theory I may still have The +/- 2 deg left in them.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think if you are going to invest some money and want to keep the clubs for a while you should spend a little money and get custom fitting.

For static fitting:

1. Being tall is one thing but it also depends on how long your arms are in order get the shaft right length.

2. How you address the ball will probably determine what the lie angle is.

However, dynamic fitting is more accurate than static fitting so you should go to a place that have a range so you can see the ball flight or if it is indoor there is some computer readout. They will usually charge you a fee but you can apply it (all or partial) towards your custom set if you order from them.

I went to this place a few years ago:

California Golf Technologies

There is probably something similar in your area.

The shaft is more important than the club head so make sure you have the right flex. Don't let your ego get in the way. Personally I like Rifle shafts on my irons.

Get the most forgiving clubhead design as possible (i.e., don't get blades if you are not a very low handicapper.) Obviously the clubhead has to look pleasing to you. If you have trouble hitting long irons I would look into hybrids to substitute for 3 and 4 or even 5 irons.

This is my iron set (keep in mind I have them about 5+ years ago):

4 and 5 Ping Hybrid G2 Rifle Project X shaft 5.0 flex

6, 7, 8, 9, Pitch Wedge, Gap Wedge Miura Forged MC-101 Rifle Project X shaft 5.0 flex (these are perimeter weighted club heads) They are probably too unforgiving for me now since I don't play as often. There reason why might consider getting a gap wedge (GW or AW) instead of a 3 iron is the manufacturers have deloft the irons over the years (in order to satisfy the golfer's ego about how long they can hit the ball) so there is a huge "gap" between the PW and SW. A GW is more useful than a 3I because you will encounter more GW distances and 3I distances on the course. If you insist on having a 3I then you would have to either drop a wood or a lob wedge (60 deg). My personal bag preference is 1-3-5 wood, 4, 5 hybrid, 6 through GW, SW, LW, and putter. BTW, my SW and LW are Cleveland C11.

Other than chipping I use my SW and LW to do most of the short shots around the greens. My PW and GW are more like distance clubs (i.e., if it is around 110 I hit a full PW, if 100 a full GW.)

One last thing, make sure you have the right grip size.

So, if the Taylor Made R9 irons with the right specs look good, feel good, and the balls go straight when you hit them get them by all means. But trying to save a couple of hundred dollars and get something that doesn't fit you will end up costing you money in the long run.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ace in Space is right Dynamic fitting is the best way to fit clubs! That means you are fitted for clubs while hitting golf balls. The reason this is the best way is you can have a tall player that bends down to hit the ball so he would need clubs to fit a "shorter" player. Or you could have a player that raises up on his toe's to hit the ball and would need clubs fit for a "taller" player.

But he is buying an older model set. So it's going to be very hard to find a local place that will have them in stock to custom fit him. Also there should be enough room for play in the set he mentioned.

Your right he might run into problems with shaft and grip size but I would say it's worth the risk.

Unless your getting ready to go out on tour.

Bob

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The +/- 2 deg is what I've been reading as well for max adjustment. TGW gets them made at this spec from Taylormade so in theory I may still have The +/- 2 deg left in them.
Yes, you still have the +/- 2 deg play in them.

Bob

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ace in Space is right Dynamic fitting is the best way to fit clubs! That means you are fitted for clubs while hitting golf balls. The reason this is the best way is you can have a tall player that bends down to hit the ball so he would need clubs to fit a "shorter" player. Or you could have a player that raises up on his toe's to hit the ball and would need clubs fit for a "taller" player.

But he is buying an older model set. So it's going to be very hard to find a local place that will have them in stock to custom fit him. Also there should be enough room for play in the set he mentioned.

Your right he might run into problems with shaft and grip size but I would say it's worth the risk.

Unless your getting ready to go out on tour.

Bob
I am not sure how dated R9 is. These days it seems the major players like TM, Ping, Callaway etc. will come out with something new EVERY YEAR (okay, maybe not iron sets) so it is hard to keep track.

I am not sure you need to be a tour player to get a custom set. I guess it is more how much money you want to spend and how "technically obsessed" you feel about your equipment. Then again, once you possess the "perfect" set you can't blame bad shots on your clubs any more.

Golf is not cheap. Even if you play once a week just with green fees, balls, etc. will easily set you back a couple of G's, minimum.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I currently have these Spalding Legacy customs I purchased the heads only and got my set custom built. But in TT dynamic gold shafts with oversized grips. the same setup I'm looking at for the r9, altho I'm still on the fence about which shaft to put in.

The R9 are game improvement clubs. I know not to get blades lol. The selection of golf stores in town are limited which means the prices are sky high. The one box store (golf town) said that they wouldn't even ship away the clubs to get fitted and only put plugs in for length because I wasn't looking at the 2011 models (which all fall out of my price range being almost 800+) If I do order a set online and get them static fitted I can always get them reshafted and fitted at a later date with the r9 heads correct?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I have a friend who is 7'0". He was custom fitted by a pro. Those clubs are crazy long. Pretty funny trying to hit them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I currently have these Spalding Legacy customs I purchased the heads only and got my set custom built. But in TT dynamic gold shafts with oversized grips. the same setup I'm looking at for the r9, altho I'm still on the fence about which shaft to put in.

The R9 are game improvement clubs. I know not to get blades lol. The selection of golf stores in town are limited which means the prices are sky high. The one box store (golf town) said that they wouldn't even ship away the clubs to get fitted and only put plugs in for length because I wasn't looking at the 2011 models (which all fall out of my price range being almost 800+) If I do order a set online and get them static fitted I can always get them reshafted and fitted at a later date with the r9 heads correct?
Yes, that's why I said it's not a bad deal to go with them. Those specs sound really close to what you would need. You might have to do some minor tweeking with them but they should be close! I wouldn't say get them if it didn't sound close. You have enough room to play with in those specs.

Bob

·
Registered
14,816 Posts
my clubs are 3* upright, but they are gunmetal Cleveland TA5's

T

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
T what they will do is make them to +/- 3 or 4 degs before they put the finish on them. But once the finish is on you run the risk of cracking the finish if you push it more than +/- 2 deg. It's not to say you can't get lucky and not crack the finish. Or that the clubs will play bad with a cracked finish.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts