The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No shit! AS iwas passing through Sutter Creek last night I noticed that regular gas was $3.45! This is way out of hand......

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well how about that!
Let's tip our hat to the American consumer once again for being the total and complete idiots we are. All the while, we were listening to and eating the bullshit the fuel companies were feeding us, we were forking out hand over fist our hard earned wages to fill up our tanks, at the extreme and skyrocketing price of some $3 / gallon, which in a lot of cases, most of us are still pretty close to paying that.

Meanwhile, back at Corporate Exxon, they are counting their cheddar and laughing behind our backs. You see, while we were at the pump, they were posting their LARGEST IN U.S. HISTORY... A RECORD PROFIT!!!

In the 3rd quarter, Exxon posted 9.9 Billion (Billion, with a *B*) profit.

So, not only was the price of oil surging... so was their profit..... up 75%

Well done consumer! We made them number one! We proved once again, that we the trusting consumer will let corporate America rape us in our own bedroom... with the lights on (so we can see the smile on thier face).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/27/busin ... nergy.html

Code:
[b]Exxon Mobil Profits Soar on Surging Oil and Gas Prices [/b]
By VIKAS BAJAJ
Published: October 27, 2005

The Exxon Mobil Corporation and other energy companies reported record profits in the third quarter today on surging prices of oil and gasoline both before and after the hurricanes struck the Gulf Coast.

The world's largest publicly traded oil company, Exxon Mobil said profits jumped 75 percent, to $9.92 billion ($1.58 a share), from $5.68 billion (88 cents) a year ago. Revenue jumped 31.9 percent to $100.7 billion from $76.38 billion.

Royal Dutch Shell reported a similar 68 percent jump in profits, to $9.03 billion ($1.35 a share), from $5.37 billion (80 cents). Revenue rose 6 percent, to $94.7 billion, from $89 billion.

Some of the increase in profits was attributable to rising oil prices this summer even before Hurricanes Katrina and Rita struck the Gulf Coast. After the hurricanes, though, the price of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel and other refined oil products soared because of shutdowns at refineries in Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Shares of Exxon Mobil were up 41 cents, to $56.61, in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Exxon, based in Irving, Tex. outside Dallas, said the hurricanes took down 50,000 barrels of oil production a day and raised the company's costs by $45 million before taxes. Natural gas production fell 9 percent, to 7.7 million cubic feet per day.

The company's top executive appeared to address and deflect the public backlash that followed Katrina when gasoline prices soared past $3 a gallon in many cities.

"Following the hurricanes, Exxon Mobil maximized gasoline production from all of our refineries which were operating in the U.S., and increased imports from overseas affiliates to meet U.S. demand," Lee R. Raymond, Exxon's chairman said in a statement. "We acted responsibly in pricing at our company operated service stations, and we also encouraged our independent retailers and distributors to do the same."

But the news of the record profits by oil companies is sure to draw criticism by politicians and energy industry critics, who say the industry has not done enough to invest in increasing oil and gasoline supplies even as they earn billions of dollars.

Exxon said it invested $4.4 billion on capital and exploration projects in the third quarter and $12.4 billion for the first nine months of the year. The company has also spent $6.8 billion on dividends and share repurchases during the quarter.

The company's profits included a special one-time gain of $1.6 billion from the restructuring of the company's stake in a Dutch gas business. Without that, profits for the third quarter were $8.3 billion.

Also today, Marathon Oil reported that its third-quarter earnings more than doubled, to $770 million ($2.09 a share), from $222 million (64 cents). Revenue jumped 40 percent, to $17.2 billion, from $12.3 billion.
http://today.reuters.com/business/newsa ... RNS-DC.XML

Code:
[b]Exxon Mobil posts record U.S. profit[/b]
Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:40 AM ET

By Deepa Babington

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp. on Thursday posted a quarterly profit of $9.9 billion, the largest in U.S. corporate history, as it raked in a bonanza from record oil and gas prices.

While profit was up 75 percent and revenue rose 32 percent to more than $100 billion, the results fell short of Wall Street forecasts due to production outages caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and sharply lower profit at the company's chemicals division.

Analysts have warned that record profits for Big Oil, at a time when consumers are paying sky-high prices for gasoline, could add to calls for a windfall profits tax or other penalties on oil companies.

blah blah blah... more about how they boned us.....

·
Registered
732 Posts
No shiit Ace! Can't wait for the new regime.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Would love $3.85 a gal now. Shits anywhere from $4.19 to $4.08 sucks!

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
I use Gas Buddy on my phone all the time to look for the cheapest gas prices. Sometimes driving less than a mile out of the way can save you a bunch of coin. It's especially handy during road trips to avoid the high-priced freeway stops and know when it's cheaper at the next exit.

·
Registered
29,128 Posts
"A bunch of coin"...?

My tank is 16 gallons. Saving 15c per gallon is only $2.40 on a fill up.

I'm not driving 20 miles out of my way to save $2... But if its an adjustment of my route home, sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
It's all relative. I have tank sizes of 14, 16.5, 20, and 75. Sure, 10c on 15 gal is only a buck-fiddy, but that shit adds up.

It is true, you can't drive 20 miles out of the way - you burn more than you save. But a couple miles? Sure. We do tend to get most fuel at Sams or Costco locally. But I was at Sams the other day, they were at $4.07! I knew by the house was less than $4. Gas Buddy found me $3.92 on the way home, just not the route I would have usually taken. Prices have since gone down to $3.89 around me. But I was very surprised at $4.07 at Sams.

Another thing I do is use a 3%-5% cash back on gas card. My regular card, a 3% AMEX, only does 1% at Costco, so I'll fill up at a local station even if it's a couple cents over Costco, because the additional 2% off will more than make of the diff.

I probably save $20-30 a month on gas through Gas Buddy and the credit card cash back. Even more when I have to fill up the motorhome...

·
Registered
29,128 Posts
Right.

When I need gas, I use Gas Buddy as a barometer... Gives me the best price so I know if the local price is screwing me...

I often find that Costco is higher in a rising market simply because they get their fill ups (at the higher price) more often.

·
Super Moderator
8,415 Posts
I find that Sams and Costco don't change their prices during the day. So when everyone else follows Speedway and jumps up 30c in one day, if I need gas, I'm heading to Costco that night. They will still be cheaper until morning.

I just get more and more pissed at Speedway and their blatant weekly attempts at market manipulation.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts