Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Just joined the forums. It's cool checking out what everyone else is doing on here. Lots of good stuff. Anyway, me and my fiancée just bought our first house in September and the day before we were to move in, the water main broke under the foyer and took out the entire finished basement. Master bedroom, living room, bathroom and "in-laws quarters" with full kitchen. We basically had to live in 50% of our house and have all of our stuff stored in our garage while I worked on getting the downstairs back to livable conditions. Initially I told the misses that she could have everything else, as long as I get the garages and could build a bar. Well, after completing construction on our living room, bedroom (and sucking up by building her a 7x7 walk in) I was able to start on my bar.

Here is where you would walk in from the living room. The floor in there is now Allure Teak planks.

This is obviously before all the flooding. I was initially going to cut everything at 4 feet but said hell with it and ripped it all out except the ceiling.

Soon to be much better than this..

Ripping out walls and kitchen.

A clean slate.

So the first step I took was sit down and actually draw out what I wanted and what I expected and anticipated it to all look like and how it was going to all lay out. That took me about a week. Then I could finally start putting things together. First step was to run all the electrical and put in the tunes. I went with ceiling speakers because I thought they would deliver the sound best to every inch of the room.

4 Polk Audio speakers flush mounted and off-set to match the seating at the bar.

Next was finding equipment. I knew I wanted it to be as true to a bar as possible. All bars I have frequented usually have the large bottle chillers, where you see the bartender reach down to grab out a bottle. I knew I wanted a diecent sized one, not only for beer bottles and cans but, all your juices and water and cold food and anything else you need to keep refridgerated. I ended up finding a 65" Beverage Air on Craigslist.

Every bar needs daught beer, right? Well, you can't have just one.
I wanted to make sure I had a nice selection, and happened to come across this old True TDD-3. It was a steal so I had to have it. And, not only did I find that but, I found a soda fountain too!

I really really wanted to build a custom arcade cabinet and run MAME but, the fiancee really really REALLY loves Megatouch. I happened to find one (again on Craigslist) and that ate my game budget.

So now that I had most of my equipment, I figured the best thing to do was to build the bar around it. I brought in the bottle chiller and kegerator and layed out in tape where I thought the bar should go.

Once I made sure everything was going to have clearance and still have enough room for a barback, the framing began.

Then it was time to lay the top out.
(By then I had gotten the receiver for the bar and couldn't wait to try out those speakers.)

Fit the soda fountain in.

Just so you get an idea on how big it is, each tile is 12"

Made shelving at the end for glasses, bag in a box syrup, a computer and anything else I may need.

Then it was time for lighting. I knew I wanted a large gang of switches and everything ran independantly. I started with these hanging over the bar to light the surface.

Then I had to insulate the room and hang drywall because it was getting really cold in there. If I haven't mentioned it, this room was an addition to the back of our home. It's 15x30 with a small attic space in it's slope.

By now, I was starting to contemplate what I was going to do about a barback. I made some calls and inquiries about having cabinets made, I thought about just making something myself, then I came across this gem. Another craigslist find. It's all solid 3/4 and came with butterfly doors, a built-in sink and glass shelves. When I unbelievably read the crazy low price I handed them cash and RAN!

While hanging all the drywall, the bar looked more like a work bench.

Next, I installed a carbonator down by the shelving to run the soda fountain.

Now that all the structure was done, I started to think about all the finish work. I decided on having a piece of Fermica made for the entire top. I took the measurements into the local laminate place and placed the order which would be fulfilled by the next week. Next I went to a local hardwood place and bought all of my bar rail. The most expensive piece of the entire bar structure..

Sealing the rail.

Now it was time to decide what to do about the face of the bar. I wanted to keep with the whole "wood, rustic" theme so I decided to use all-fall, the part of the log that is processed at the mill and usually shipped off to make pulp. I went to a sawmill and picked up a truck load of planks for only $10. Sweet deal!

Ok, it wasn't a truckfull but, just enough to "skin" the bar. I cut them all to size and started lining the pieces up.

Then I found some great barstools. Yes, craigslist again.

The top is completed and ready to be picked up. It's so big that I have to hire a roll-off tow truck to bring it home for me.

Mounting all of the planks takes about 2.5 hours. I screwed them all in from the back side, so no hardware is seen.

Planks all done.

Mounting the bar rail. Just a side note, at $15 a foot, 45'ing this stuff is NERVERACKING. Might I suggest a professional.

For the drink rail, I decided to use an automotive undercoating. It's spray rubber basically. I got it from CRST industries.

After the coating was dry, I mounted the back trim for the drink rail. This is it pre-stained.

My grandmother had a great collection of old alcohol decanters sitting on shelving in her kitchen for decades. I recently acquired them and hung them up on each side of the barback.

I had just a few bottles to start. Hung my Corona neon, and a few other random signs and bar fare that I had. I also brought in my Galaga machine, and hung a dart board that you can't see at this angle.

A good friend of mine's wife knew I was building the bar and painted me a picture for it for my 30th birthday.

Starting to work on the soda machine. These are more work than you'd think. I cleaned all the pumps and internal lines, then replaced all external lines, and cleaned and rebuilt all the fountain heads.

I mounted the pumps next to the carbonator. I prob should have planned this better because I had to run all of the syrup lines the length of the bar. Oh well, it was worth it.

I wanted to have a jukebox of some sort so people could access all of the music on my media server, so I found a touchscreen monitor and am using AlbumPlayer jukebox software.

I'm a HUGE fan of Grand Marnier, and for my birthday, my future in-laws got me a bottle of 150. The most expensive bottle in the bar now, and prob ever. And it is not shared.

The finished product.

Not counting the deconstruction, the whole process believe it or not, took 27 days. I work nights, so I would come home from work and bust my ass on this thing ALL DAY, maybe getting 3 hours of sleep a day. The last week I worked on it, I got 6 hours of sleep the entire week. I had a deadline to keep (my 30th birthday) and I wanted to make sure it was ready to go. During the party, everyone who walked through the door had to pick their jaw back up almost immediately. At one time, we counted almost 50 people in the bar during the party. I had everyone bring a bottle to contribute to the bar, which is why you see the barback so full in that last pic. It was a hell of a lot of hard work but, totally worth it. I have just a few nit-picky things left to do, like skin a few exposed parts on the bartender side, and get some drying racks for all my glasses, and maybe something to go on the floor behind the bar, like anti-slip mats or something. I also need to get my TV's mounted. There will be one on each end wall.

I would love to hear your comments. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and thanks again for welcoming me to the forum.

-WetPaperBag

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
we're all going to need directions to your pub, asap.

welcome to PMC. looks like you'll fit right in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
very, very nice! I like the way you put in a file server and touch screen and put in a "juke box", I might have to copy that one......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very, very nice! I like the way you put in a file server and touch screen and put in a "juke box", I might have to copy that one......
I recommend the AlbumPlayer.com software. I searched forever looking for the perfect software, and it's damn close. The actual "jukebox" is just an old P4 running Win7 connected to my home network. Nice thing about that is, if by some strange reason I don't have a song the user is looking for, they can minimize the jukebox and use an on-screen keyboard to youtube it. The jukebox accesses music stored on a 6TB FreeNas box located elseware in the house. The audio is ran to the receiver with a 35ft 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA cable bought from Monoprice.

·
aka, "Senior Mierda"
5,798 Posts
My cawk. It just moved a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh yeah... Damn this thing is nice... If you dont mind me asking what did the project set you back??
I figured someone would ask eventually so I'll try to remember everything as best as possible.

All framing material to construct bar = $260
Custom Fermica Top = $300
Bar Rail = $460
Stain = $30
Allfall log slabs = $10
So, bar construction was around $1060

Now all my craigslist finds.
Barback - $250
Kegerator - $150 (Yeah your reading that right. I couldn't believe it either.)
Bottle Chiller - $520
All barstools - $350
Megatouch - $900
Soda Fountain - $300
Touch screen for Jukebox - $120 for 2 of them.

I maybe had $75 in drywall, $150 or so in electrical and other cables.
Maybe another $125-$150 for Mud, Tape and Paint
I also spent about $200 getting all of the tubing and fittings for the kegerator and soda fountain replaced.
There was about a $200 trip to the local restaurant supply for a case of Pilsners, a garnish well, drink well pads, two boston mixers, speed pourers, mix pourers, salt rimmer and other misc crap.
The speakers came from Crutchfield - $159 a set x 2
Stereo was bought somewhere online, I forget where. Pioneer - $249 + a $50 dongle attached to it so anyone can stream audio to it from there phone.

I think that covers everything, other than a big trip to Wal-Mart for more glasses, and a few starter bottles and snacks to get things rolling.

And thanks everyone for all the feedback. It makes a guy feel good when his hard work receives a positive response..

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
WOW!!!!!
Holy crap that's nice!

Just wow. I've looked at your picks 3 or 4 times now, and I'm through and through impressed with how nice that turned out.

Wow and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Thats fucking awesome!

It's hard to even consider that a home bar setup. Thats better than a lot of actual bars I've been to.

Well played sir.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Thats fucking awesome!

It's hard to even consider that a home bar setup. Thats better than a lot of actual bars I've been to.

Well played sir.
^^ This and its not even close... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Someone teach this guy how to use the google maps feature so we can pinpoint the location of said bar.

Nice hand sir!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
very nice. that is one huge bar.... will it get used a lot? If so, post address and dates of open bar.

This is picking nits....but the only thing I didn't like (remember...this is picking nits) is the formica countertop. You could have bought some solid wood flooring, stained it and did an epoxy over the top and this would have been the total shit. But really, this is like saying "she is good looking, fun and really smart, but I don't like her shoes".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts