The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derby just announced that it is now running its $200 NL (SL) game every day, as long as there is a demand (and there always seems to be, lately). They dumped the 12/24 game in place of this on the weekends (too bad, 12/24 was a good game!), and now they don't even break the NL during the tourneys on tuesday. I see this game running full almost every day, except maybe weekday late nights.

Also a rumour has been spreading rampant lately: Derby is in the process of getting a TRUE NL game off the groundn, which would be $500-$1000 buy-in, no limit, with the blinds probably 5/10 or something. I've heard this from 2 dealers that Kermit has been talking to, so we'll see what happens... the bigger question..... can Sac handle a game of this level? I'd be interested in checking it out... but it would, of course, have to be beatable. There are some good players at the current "NL" game, but enough fish come by to make it worthwhile... I think a game of this level would only attact the good players... and I'm really not sure I'm ready to play a game like that where I might be the bait...

what's your guys' thoughts on this new proposed game?

-david

·
Registered
51 Posts
My thoughts are the following:

If they start a true NL game, it's about time! The only way that our game is going to continue to get better is to get involved in games that attract better players (which means higher stakes). My focus is to continue to learn more and more about the ends and outs of NL hold em and the only way to do that in my opinion is to continue to play against different players with different styles.

I'm sure I'll see you soon.

Worm

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
worm,

agreed. the best (and hardest) learning experience that ive ever had with NL is at the Eldo in Reno. No max buyin, but you need at least $500. 2/3/5 with a bring in of $10. Played it probably 20 hours in 3 different sessions, and managed to do very well. However, it required tons of thought and stress to do well. Learned tons... learned how to see some standard NL traps and avoid them (got caught in some), and for the first time I really started to learn how to read opponents. In one situation I laid down AQs when the flop was Q74 rag when someone raised my bet (raising preflop, too)... he flashed AA. felt pretty good about that laydown. So yeah, if it attracts enough attention to stay, I'll see ya there!

-David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts