Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by the Derby yesterday, hoping to build on my little roll from last week. Waited about 1/2 hour to get on a 4/8 game and put my name on the NL list just in case I felt like going at it when they opened the table.

10 minutes after I sat down in bops the Kid. He put his name down on every list including the Omaha game. We said hey and I asked him about the Omaha game. He said he's played it a few times, but is still in tutorial mode. We talked about spreading our own low-limit Omaha Hi/Lo game for us to get some learning time and he was definately in for that. WE'll see if there's some interest in something like a 1/2 or 2/4 Omaha game for those of us wanting to get some table time in before we attack the cardrooms. (The game at athe Derby looks pretty soft from what I've read on the game....)

I was doing OK in the 4/8 game. No real bad spots (got beat when an under kicker paired the river once) and no real hot runs - just steady solid progress (pretty much how I expect tht a typical session should go. I actually flopped quad 8s and had a reasonable shot at a bad beat when the turn brought 3 cards to a straight flush. A fourth suit on the river ensured that I got pretty good action on the hand.

When they called for the NL game I was up about $80 and felt like the NL was good to go. The Kid was also on the list. Although I really don't favor having to bump heads with BYOCers in the cardrooms (especially in the NL game), but it's always nice to have a friendly known face in a game.

On this particular day, the game opened right up with fireworks. And I lit the fuse. I looked down to find AJ in mid/late position and made it $20 to go. The only caller was the BB who just happens be a knwon calling station (I just played 3 hours with him at the 4/8 game. Great I'm gonna need to hit a hand to win this pot. The flop missed and I just checked through, Turn:Blank check through. River: Blank chaeck through. "I just have an Ace" The river just happened to pair the calling station and he drug the pot. Anyone else and I probably could have bought him off on the flop, but the flop gave him some draws and he would have called his whole stack if I bet it (He proved that feeling to be true many times over the next coupe hours) so I managed to lose the mimimum.

Second hand: 3 players called all in before the flop. I don't rememebr the specifics of who had what, but everyone was quite surprised to see this kind of action, especially this early into the game. There were 2 guys who just kept peelin' Benji's off; the calling station from the above hand (He had at least 600-700 into the game) and a guy in the 1 seat who played briefly at my 4/8 table before we got moved. My impression of this guy changed dramatically from his brief stint at 4/8. I though he was reasonably solid at the 4/8 game but he turned into quite a fool in the NL game. He could not lay a hand down that he had any interest in, regardless of any conditions. He had at least 5 racks into the game before he started dragging any pots. He was a donator, but the scary kind.

Kid got pretty tilty after this hand. He raised PF and was called by a couple players including seat 1 (to Kid's right). Kid catches an Ace on the flop and bet aggresive enough to get rid of the reasonable players. Turn brought a blank and again he bet strong but he just couldn't shake seat 1. River brings a 9 (which paired the board). Seat one throws $50 at the pot and Kid had to make the crying call. Seat 1 caught his third nine for a pretty brutal win. Kid had to get up for a few minutes after that. (At least I'm not the only one to get bent out of shape when getting beat by pretty bad play.

Of course KId was having a pretty rough go of it. It seemed like every time he'd get agressive, someone would come after him and either make him get away from his hand or lost the pot. Unfortunately for him, I was one of the main culprits. He raised once on my BB and I had 88. I managed to flop a set and was able to triple up on a check/raise. He got away from his QQ because there was a K on the board (and in part because he knows that I don't throw chips around without a strong hand).

After losing the first hand, I actually started out reasonably hot. After I tripled up on the hand above, I got into a zone where I was hitting cards and either winning the showdowns or getting some respect when I threw chips at the pot. (I even took one away from The Kid that he doesn't know about :wink: ). In general, I was in control, catching cards, making moves and doing well. I was up almost 2 racks at one point. Then I ordered lunch....

All three times I've played NL at the Derby, I was doing OK until I got my lunch - then everything went to hell very fast. Yesterday proved to be no different. I really don't go in for supersticious crap, but I'm never gonna eat lunch at the NL table again.

I get my lunch and look down to see AA. You'd think that would be a good thing. I did. I was UTG so I really couldn't get much for them with a raise so I limped hoping that the guy 2 seats to my right would raise big (as he had done quite a bit) so I could get my money in. Unfortunately, nobody raised and we go 4 or 5 to the flop. The flop is KQx. Except for the obvious stright draw, the board looks pretty good to me. I fire $20 at the pot and called only by the kid to my left. He had been showing lots of patience and lots of respect. When he called, I knew he had a least a strong K. The turn brought a blank and I decided to try to take it down right there with an $80 bet. "That can't be good" was my quip when he called all in and I pretty much knew what he had - KQ. River didn't bring me any help and the spiral began. I just don't think I would have got him out with any raise that would have given me a chance to make more than the $7 blinds so I really couldn't feel too bad about my limp. AA under the gun has it's limitations....

So I'm back to being about $80 up. I get into a spot with the cat from seat 1. I have AJ (didn't raise preflop) and get a flop of 3 undercards. I decide to try and steal this pot with a $30 bet and get a call from seat 1. The turn shoots another blank and I throw $60 at the pot. He raises me and I know I have to get out of this hand. I give my best Hollywood pretending to have tough decision and throw the bluff away. Don't know if he played me or not, but I wasn't going to find out - he hadn't shown the capacity to do that - he was more of a chasing station than a bluffer.

So I'm back around even. I manage to stay out of trouble for about 20 minutes, just enought ime to finish my lunch.. Then it all went to hell. I look down to find QT on the button. The guy to my right (Joe, a regular who you'd all probably recognize) raised to something like $15 or $20. He's shown the propensity to get out of line a little more than once, so I called hoping to hit the flop just a little. The flop hit T high with 2 diamonds. Checked around to raiser and he bet $50. I had put him on an Ax or under pair so I shoved my $100. I was somwhat surprised to get called by the calling station to my left and raisor had to think really hard about this call. "So you both hit sets eh?" (I didn't like the sound of that one bit) He finally called. The turn blanked and it checked through. The river brought an A (which I absolutely hated to see) and the raiser flipped up his Aces (for a set) and he drags the big pot.

Ugh. REBUY! Very next hand I get an A6. There weren't too many limpers so I called hoping to hit the flop. Well I did pick up an A, but the guy 2 seats to my left (SB) bets out. There was one call from a guy fairly new to the table. SB had been catching cards all session, and so far the new guy appeared to be pretty solid. I had just got stung and was afraid that any attempt at a move would look like a tilt bet and get unwanted action. I just called. (Normally I'd raise this hand pretty strong at this spot - this was just really bad timing.) Turn brough a blank. SB bet $10. Again I was planning to make a move, but that $10 bet just stunk. Bad. I was suddenly 75% sure that SB had A9 (2 pair) and he was just looking for action. We both gave it to him. River brought another 9. Hmmm, maybe he doesn't have A9 after all. He bet ~$30 and the other guy bails. I need to see this now and call basically hoping he just had a really bad kicker too. He has some 9x hand and rivered me. I really hated my play on this hand (on every street) and although I did get rivered, I accepted responsibility for my screwup and reached into my pocket once more.

Before I could get more chips I looked down to see TT and I shoved my last $10 in. I floppped a open ended straight and caught a straight on the river. Whooee. I bought my now $30 back up to $100. I think I managed to skip 1 hand and then I get an 87s and limp hoping to get some monster that gets me back in the game. I get a great flop - 968 with the 96 in my suit. Open ended straight draw, open ended SF draw, a weak flush draw and middle pair. I called a $20 bet and then the guys at the other end of the table start going crazy. Call all-in. All-in for $50 more. Another call. The guy who opened called as well. I don't usually like getting most of my stack in on draws, but Jeez, I had a gazillion outs and about 6:1 odds. I had to call. Turn and river miss me (and everyone else) and the guy who shoved with a set took the pot. It turns out that my flush draw was dead (there was a J4 out against me and someone else held the 5), so I really only had 8 clean outs (not quite a gazillion).

At that point, after dropping $270 in 3 out of last 4 hands, I picked up and left. Not angry so much as discouraged. I was playing well but 3 rough hands in quick succession is really brutal. One I over-played and would do that again in that spot; another I played pretty bad; the last unlucky to get so many draws and not hit any of them. Add this to the Aces cracked a bvit earlier and I was not in the mood to thorw any more coin ta the game that day. This is the problem with NL: a few bad hands and you're broke quick. Oh well, another day.

The Kid quickly took my seat ("It's gotta be better than mine...") as I left and I'm not sure if he ended up doing any good - he was struggling pretty much all session.

·
Banned.
3,233 Posts
Hagar,

I must say that I love your posts man. I mean, reading your posts is just like me being there watching you play. Very cool - keep up the awesome reports man!

MF

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - I get the impresssion that it's a love it or hate deal. (Some don't seem to care for some of my bad beat rants.....)

They're fun to write (even if it does take an hour or more to get some of them inked) and it helps to remember situations when I log them like this.

I kind of wish I was a little "famous" - I could probably sell this stuff if anybody cared who the hell I was.....

·
Badministrator
42,730 Posts
Love reading about them. Would of course rather hear that you didn't / don't get beat up at times and get drawn out on, but none the less, love hearing about it. What amazes me is your level of detail. That of which I often struggle with after a long session of cards, other than a few memorable hands that I either made a huge blunder on or got crazy action with a nut hand.

I still have yet to sit down at the Derby's NL table and take in some of the action. My Wed nights have been taken up at the BSI. Had a 6 pack of calling stations last night on tilt, in fact.)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have yet to sit down at the Derby's NL table
It's the toughest game I've ever played in. By tough, I mean it has the overall highest quality of competition (man for man) that I've ever faced - it's the only game I've ever walked away from not completely sure that I wasn't "the sucker" at the table. Yesterday, didn't have that feel (I was very comfortable at that particular table), but in the past, I've felt like I was in a little over my head.

I still prefer that feeling to the helplessness of geting beat up by fish and bad luck.....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hagar, once again you have written a very comprehensive game report. Much more than I can remember!

So Wed. I have off of work, so I decided to head over to Derby to play some 4/8. Arrived there around 11 and was suprised to see Hagar there on a weekday. I guess he works half-days on Wed, and since the rain put a damper on his golfing, he had the same idea as I did.

So we shot the breeze awhile, then I got my seat in a 4/8 game opening up. Also got my name on Omaha and NL, which I didn't even know they were playing on Wed. After about an hour of 4/8, I'm up around $60, and they call the NL game. Mark and I both head over there and chat it up about some of the players. I agree, there are some strong players at this NL game, much better than Cache... in fact, the only harder NL I've played is the Eldorado's. Probably 5 good/solid players, but then there's Old Joe, the super calling station... I remember he once called my $120 all in for a flush draw, heads up against my flopped set! Then a bluffer, and some guy in seat 1 (see Mark's post) that was the thorn in my side. What a crappy player!

Mark highlighted most of the big hands. I did well enough, but lost about $150 on the hand where I raised preflop with AJs, caught an A on the flop, and bet enough to get it down to me and moron boy in #1. He calls $20 preflop with 10/9o, calls $25 on the flop with just a 9, no other draws, calls $30 on the turn, then catches his 9 on the river and I call his $60 bet. GRR!
That one sent me tilting a bit, and I had to walk outside a bit and colect myself... I've really foudn this to be useful in a table game. If I take a bad beat, I'll walk around 5min and catch some fresh air. It's better than staying there, and possibly steaming off chips in that time. Works for me.

I was pretty much done then. Blew through the rest of my $200 buyin on some other bad beats, then went home. Took a break for awhile, then found out no one was home until 1am, so I call and get my name on the 9/18 at Capitol. I really think that I'm going to have to start playing that game more. I mean, the blinds are pretty high, but the action is great and the play is mostly crappy. A couple sharks to watch out for, but all in all if you play a strong tight/aggressive game, you'll bank out. Started with $200 (short stacked), ended with $880 after 4 hours. Makes up for my loss at Derby. Now I think I have to start checking out this Black Sheep NL game... how far is it from the Arden area??

-David "the kid"

·
Banned.
3,233 Posts
Ender said:
lol, sounds good quads. so just take 50 east to eldorado hills, then exit where? also, when do they spread NL? thanks!

-david
Take Highway 50 to Cameron Park Drive exit

Turn left onto Cameron Park Drive

Take Cameron Park Drive to 3181 Cameron Park Drive (shopping center)

Turn right into shopping center

1 - 10 of 10 Posts