Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to a Heads Up tourney maybe we could also consider a Bounty tourney.

Say it is a $50 buy in and you have 20 players. Thus there is $1000 in prize pool. This will be the breakdown:

$50 for High Hand Jackpot (or pay 4th place).
$20 for bounty per player x 19 players = $380
The remaining $570 just pay 3 spots:

Say $285 for first (its really $305 since the winner will of course collect the last bounty bonus), $170 for second, and $115 for third (50/30/20 split). Although you pay 3 (or 4) places instead of 5 there is going to a distribution of wealth since some player who finishes in 10th place might get 3 bounties.

G

·
Ace-in-Space said:
In addition to a Heads Up tourney maybe we could also consider a Bounty tourney.

Say it is a $50 buy in and you have 20 players. Thus there is $1000 in prize pool. This will be the breakdown:

$50 for High Hand Jackpot (or pay 4th place).
$20 for bounty per player x 19 players = $380
The remaining $570 just pay 3 spots:

Say $285 for first (its really $305 since the winner will of course collect the last bounty bonus), $170 for second, and $115 for third (50/30/20 split). Although you pay 3 (or 4) places instead of 5 there is going to a distribution of wealth since some player who finishes in 10th place might get 3 bounties.
With the field of players that will undoubtedly be in this thing, don't you think that working your way through this minefield is worth more than $285? IMO that little of a payout is not worth my time. If we are going to do all of these things with a simple heads up tourney, we might as well have some BYOC mouse pads made up for 5th, 6th and 7th places.

With this being the first time we try a heads up tourney maybe we don't try and reinvent the wheel and just have a tourney!?!? Let's try it and see how it works and then add all the bells and whistles.

At the outside, maybe we cold do a HHJP of $50 so the player gets their buy in back. We pay 1st and 2nd and MAYBE 3rd and KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Ultimately it is up to the host, but I would not play in a heads up tourney where I was only gonna make $235 for a long days work.

G

·
Daddy,

Your forgetting about the $20 you get for everyone you beat in the headsup. That could be $80 or $100 more depending on how we handle the bye rounds.

G

·
It's just too much to keep track of. We can't even seem to get through a regualr tourney anymore without hassles. Why put more shit in the soup then it needs? The soup tastes fine....no more salt!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If I may...

I don't think Ace is suggesting that we combine the Heads-up tourney with the Bounty Tourney.

A "bounty" in a Heads-up tourney would be pretty pointless - the goal in a Heads-up tourney is to knock out the guy you're facing to advance to the next round.

The tourney that Dodger, DA and I played at Cache Creek had a "bounty" feature. It didn't change anything, but it seemed to add some fun. Every player was worth $5. If you knocked a player out you got his $5. It wasn't worth a major strategy ploy to knock one or two players out (What's $5 or $10 compared to the $50 buy-in and $700 first place?). Since I knocked a bunch of people out, I ended up getting about $70 in bounties, but it didn't change my strategy any.

G

·
Hags.......thanks for the clarification! I re-read the original post and can see now where I misunderstood.

In the immortal words of Gilda Radner...."Never Mind"

·
Registered
96 Posts
change is fun

I like the idea of a bounty or a heads up or whatever else any creative mind can come up with. It's nice to have a change of pace every once in a while so please send me an invite if any of these go down. Ive played in somthing similar to a bounty before online. The bountys were against pros though. It was a tourny on absolute poker where they had 10 pros who had written books and if you knocked one them out you recieved $100 and a signed copy of there book.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just a proposal to be kept in the back burner. I just thought we might do something different once in a while. Maybe we could run one of these Bounty or Heads Up tourneys once every few months (say 1 out of every 6 or 7 tourneys will be a specialty tourney.)

To keep track of the bounty in a bounty tourney everyone will get a special chip. When you are eliminated you surrender one bounty chip to the person who busted you out. However, you keep all other bounty chips you might have collected so at the end of the tourney you will get your prizes.

I know I am not a good cook so I am not familiar with the exotic ingredients you use. I obviously has a lot to learn when it comes to making soup. I guess I will have to experiment with various excrements from chicken, pig, cow, horse, or deer to find right kind.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I played a tourney a few weeks back where they did that.

When you bought in, it was an additional (optional) $10 for a bounty chip. If you were knocked out, so was your chip and it went to the winner of the hand. At the end of the night, if you knocked anyone out, you cashed in your bounty chips regardless of where you placed in the tourney.

G

·
Ace, screw the back burner...take that idea off the stove and serve it to the group. :) I'm up for it and I'm sure we'd get enough takers to take it through an initial run. So counting you and I, that makes 2...

·
Registered
44 Posts
yes

I like the idea. It adds some extra fun to the tournament. Plus, a person who might knock one person out, yet not get very far in the tournament, still feels they got a little something back. "Make it so..."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts