Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents, I just replaced about 96% of the pipes in my 50+ year old house from original galvanized to copper. While I have a reasonable knowledge of basic plumbing systems I don't really know to much about what to expect in the gallon per minute department on the average when it comes to different water fixtures. I measured the gpm of all sinks, tubs, showers in my home post plumbing and was wondering if any of you with plumbing experience would be able to look at the data and tell me the good and the bad in what you see compared to what you're used to dealing with. All volume approximate. I used my homebrew bucket to measure water as best as I could.

Also, how much crease do you like in a set of boobs? Do you like 'em defying gravity or with a little bit of sag. Discuss. ;)

-------------
Water Service: 3/4" from the meter. 1/2 to all sinks and tubs. Sinks stop down to 3/8" hoses and smaller copper hoses from there.

Basement Utility Sink (unrestricted flow)
Cold - 5.6 gpm
Hot - 5 gpm
Combined - 8.5 gpm

Kitchen Sink (Grohe single handle set to middle)
1.1 gpm

1st Floor Bathtub (Delta single handle set to middle)
2.5 gpm

1st Floor Bathroom Sink (Moen dual handled 1.5gpm rating both handles fully open)
.5 gpm with aerator
2.25 gpm no aerator

2nd floor Shower (Moen single handle set to middle, unsure of rating)
2.25 gpm

2nd Floor Faucet (Same as first floor)
.6 gpm with aerator
1.8 gpm no aerator

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Gpm will also depend upon the fixture & the psi for the house
Did you test all of these before replacing the pipes ?

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
I'm a fan of a slight, but natural sag.
Do you have any idea of what you're head pressure is? (psi at the meter and then at the point of entry at the house?)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You should have a pressure regulator somewhere on the main where it enters the house. Some times you will see them by the meter but not too often and not in freezing climates.

So let me ask you this.....you say you have replaced 96% of your pipes. You are going to replace the remaining galvanized right?

So my other question is why are you asking us flow rates???
If your happy with the amount of water coming out of each outlet who cares what a bunch of retards like us think?

You should only have two concerns IMO.

1) Is the flow and pressure at each fixture make YOU happy?

2) What is the pressure going into your house and are all the fixtures rated to work with this pressure?

What would scare me to death is the remaining 4% of galvanized shit pipe left.

Aloha, Pete

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Sadly i didn't have the mental capacity to think to do the flow tests before the pipes were taken out. And no, I didn't test the pressure coming into the house. Though, if the utility sink is any indication i'd say the incoming pressure is pretty good. I'm unhappy with the bathroom sinks and the bathtub. The shower seems to be as good as i'll get and the kitchen sink does the job.

I probably can't know for sure if that remaining length of galvanized is hampering the results to the sinks unless I grow a pair and remove it. The Tub however is new copper so I have to blame the fixture. I guess I'm looking for comparisons to other peoples shit to see what an "average" bathroom sink flow would look like. Same with the tub.

Now if you excuse me I have to go eat the middle out of my donut.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Our kitchen sink has lower flo rate then the prior one we had.
Because we chose a faucet we liked the look of but when I installed it the
hot and cold inlet tubes were a smaller dia. then the old.
Not much I can do about it but live with it unless I want to buy a new one with bigger tubing.

Like they say, size does matter!!

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
I've never tested the gpm out of any fixture
I did have the main shut off replaced & 3/4" feed run to the middle of the house where it then branches off to the 1/2" lines
At the meter/shut off they had reduced to 1/2" for some reason
We have 80 psi to the house, so plenty of pressure

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
ummm...I only clicked this thread because it had boobs on it. Nice trick, but you should still post some boobs.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
You're breaking plumbing and fixtures if you have 80 psi.

And if you do, you need to call the water company and find out what their static water pressure range is. If it's over 60, I'd highly recommend a pressure regulator. If you can't run a house on 45 to 50psi, you've got a bigger issue that needs dealing with.

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
My last house also had 80 psi
Never broke a single fixture at either house in 14 years
I did have a cheap outside lawn hose break when I left it turned on at the last house
It does dip down to 70 psi or lower when water is running
The house has been this way for over 55 years now
Last house was close to 100 years old

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
If you have new fixtures, and you don't like the amount of water coming out, you probably have a flow rate device that is in most new fixtures, or some debris blocking the device.

For a sink, remove the little cap where the water comes out, check to see if any debris. If not, take a drill bit and make the hole bigger.

For the shower head, remove the head, look inside and you will see a small hole. Drill that sumbich out a bit and replace back on.

Check flow rate after doing above.

We got a new shower head last year, the sunflower style, and there was no water flowing out, just dripping out. I drilled that hole bigger and I have plenty of water coming out now. It's a nice shower!

Other than that, I like firm, non sagging, not too too too big boobs. KTHXBY

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my only real option is to buy a new bathroom faucet and compare it to what I have now. My wife is pretty bummed that despite running new copper to the tub that the flow is weak out of the spigot. I read that there is some sort of pressure equalizer in the fixture somewhere that might be effecting it. Who knows. All I know is that despite new plumbing the flow is still lacking.

Oh well. Time to start drinking...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Two things on your flow.

Check the on - off valves they may be full of gunk from the old galvanized pipes and just need to be cleaned out or maybe replaced.

You may have a regulator somewhere that is clogged up or needs adjustment to increase flow.

My bet is on the on-off valves for the shower being gunked up. That Gal pipe is just the worst for flaking off and plugging up stuff.

Aloha, Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts