The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$40 buyin, 2 table freezeout tourney - 22 players and no alternates (crowded tables). $1000 starting stack. $20 buys 500 in chips after the third round.

Arrived at 11:40a to sign up for a seat. Had a cup of coffee in the bar with a couple of other players waiting for the 12 noon signup time. Signups were over and done by 12:05 - So if you want a seat at the $40 tourney get there before noon. Also - The owner took an informal poll and there will be sunday tourneys every weekend, with a $100 buyin the last Sunday each month. He did say to call the bar to be sure he's not out boating or something.

While waiting for 1p to roll around, I saw a familiar face, then two at the bar. James "heat" and Mike "PK" had shown up for the tourney. They played at the other table and I didnt play against either.

Play started at 115ish. Blinds were 25 and 25 to start - they adjusted to 25/50 after 15 minutes. Things were fairly conservative to start. 200 to see the flop and usually with two or three callers and not alot of post flop action. This settled to limping by the end of the round because of the reduction in chip stacks by then.

Right after the blinds went to 25/50, I limped with A2d on the button. First hand i've played. Both blinds and another were in the hand. Flop comes 3d 5d kh. Check around to me, I bet 200 and get all 3 callers. Turn is a Qd, giving me the nut flush. Checks all around, including me. The river is a Ace. check, check, and one guy goes all in for $500. I call, he turns over his Ace high straight and I show the nut flush. Nice pot!

At some point the tables were merged. I'm in pretty good chip position with around 4500. The big stack is around 6k, and there were probablly two stacks around my size. Im to the right of the dealer button, and am delt K10s. There were like 6 limpers and the blinds were 100/200. People had been pretty conservative to raises, so I raise to 1000. Oops. 2 all in's by the short stacks. Feeling caught, but only needing to call another 400 I call. one turns AJo and the other KJs. Great. The flop comes Kxx. Great, outkicked. turn is and Ace. ok, 3rd best hand. The river delivers my 10, giving me 2 pair. I'm feeling lucky. At this point, I am the new chip leader.

Finally we're down to three, and people are talking about chopping the prize. I say no, and play continues. The third place person goes out and
now Im the smaller stack (I have around 13k to his 18k). We go back and forth with general raises and folds to capture the blinds, and not much preflop raising.

Im in the big blind, and get 46o. The flop comes with 8,7,4 rainbow. I check and my opponent goes all in. I decided to call with my bottom pair, (he called me a dirty dog) and turns over j2. My 4's hold up and Im now the significant chip leader. A few hands later (after I doubled him up a couple of times with busted 66 and k10) I get AJo and limp. He calls. The flop is Jxx. I check, he goes all in. I call. He flips KQ. The turn is a 10 (shit!), but the river a blank
giving me the tourney.

First paid $510 + a tee shirt.

I'm a happy guy!

Good competition all around. Nice bunch of guys to play with. I continue the 'good things happen at the Black Sheep' postings.

Rob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ace-in-Space said:
Good Job Rob!

How much was the entry fee (that the house kept) out of the $40 initial buy in?
Thanks!

- Sounds like he held back 10% -
Pizza lunch, and some coffe and soft drinks. And for those who drink and play, the bartender came through from time to time collecting orders.

Rob

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ace-in-Space said:
So for $4 you get free food and non-alky refreshment? Not too bad.
Yeah, some of the early round dropouts were joking about thier $40 slice of pizza.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Good job and glad to hear that you won. Wish i could have won just one race so i could have gave you some competition but the cards just werent falling my way. AK losing to 22, 88 losing to KQ, 1010 losing to A6, just not my day. Of course when we merged tables and i had only 500 left i get stuck in the big blind which was 400. I will probably try again next week, hope to see you there.
mike(pk)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts