Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello BYOC Faithful,

So, I got to the Tuesday Night $55 Derby Tourney a little late (golfing at Ancil Hoffman) and I ended up being the last alternate on the list (alternate #48). I bought in and the blinds were already at $200/$400.
99 players total in the tourney. . .

I looked around at all the tables and I saw THE KID (surprise, surprise - we always see each other at the Derby) and I saw Heat Packin (I never see him at the Derby anymore - Black Widow showed up later).

To make A LONG STORY SHORT, I was playing great from the first hand on. Doubled up, Doubled up, Doubled up, Oh shit, I might have a chance at the final table again, Doubled up, Oh shit, I definitely have a chance at the final table again, Doubled up, Oh shit, I'm the CHIP LEADER at the final table again - Break time!

Re-strategize - I'm at seat 5, Heat Packin is at seat 7 ( I think) and The KID is at seat 9 or 10?? (at any rate he's the last seat). 3 or 5 hands in - the Blinds are at $2,000/$4,000 - the guy under the gun raises to $12,000 (hmmm???) fold, fold, fold. . . . I check my hand, POCKET KINGS ( I have 20,000 chips - being the chip leader) so i contemplate for about 2 seconds and I say to myself, "if this guy has pocket Aces then more power to him" - "ALL IN" . . . . fold, fold, fold. . . . . The KID looks at his hand (approx. $15,000 in chips) . . . contemplates. . . contemplates. . . "what the hell, I'm ALL IN". . . comes back to the original raiser (who had $16,000 in chips total) and he folds his hand thinking he doesn't have the best hand - very disciplined fold because he obviously didn't and that left him with only $4k in chips.

Now, before I mention the flop, let me say: What the FUCK were you thinking KID??? Just to set the stage. . . The KID turns over 9-9. He's obviously WAY BEHIND. The flop comes up: 9-9- ? (YES, HE FLOPPED QUADS!!!). To add a little more salt in the wound, the turn card is a King and the river was a 3. Talk about a BAD BEAT!!

Now that I digress on the hand, I have no idea why the Kid went ALL IN with his 9-9 when the guy under the gun raised 3 TIMES the BIG BLIND and I put ALL OF MY CHIPS (meaning I'm sacrificing my entire tournament knowing that the guy under the gun is more than likely going to put the rest of his chips in - which is only $4K more). . . . . . . . . . . . . Side bar ----- KID: Even if you didn't know my style of play. . . you've gotta believe that you're WAY behind if the guy under the gun raises to $12K (with a chip stack of $16K total) and then I go ALL IN (being the chip leader with $20K knowing that the origianal raiser is going to shove the remaining $4K!!!!).

Oh well, shit happens and it's POKER! I went over to the bar next door to throw a few back and share YET ANOTHER bad beat story and then went back over to the Derby to see who won the tourney. When I walked in, I saw the KID and one more player (heads up). From the small talk prior to my arrival, I gather that the other guy wanted to split the winnings, but the KID wanted to win it all (I don't blame you KID). The next hand: I was watching behind both players and the other player didn't hide his cards too well because I saw an A-?. The KID is the first to act and he raises to $28,000 (I think the blinds are at $5k/10K by now) and the other guy quickly calls. The flop comes up: A-? -?. The other guy is first to act and he checks. The KID goes ALL IN and the othery guy quickly calls. They turn over their cards and the KID says "good call" with a stone cold bluff of 10-? and the other guy turns over A-Q (I believe).

Needless to say. . . The other guy won the tourney! Hey KID, I think you're an EXCELLENT player, but Karma's a bitch sometimes!!!

See ya around the tables!

Worm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
. . . that should be alternate number 48 not 4-plus a happy face!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Good work all you guys.

...I have no idea why the Kid went ALL IN with his 9-9...
Sorry, but I think is pretty funny considering our encounter at the HU Tourney......

(99 probably not your favorite hand right now, eh Worm? :roll: )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, you could probably say that Hagar.

Obviously, 9-9 in a heads up tourney is a lot different than 9-9 with a full table!

Worm

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Obviously, 9-9 in a heads up tourney is a lot different than 9-9 with a full table!
Absolutely true. And of course, every poker guru will tell you that shoving (or raising) with a given hand is a much stronger move than calling with the same hand in most cases (this one included).

I'll not try to second guess the Kid or you for that matter - you both seem to find the gold on a regular basis.

·
PMC General Counsel
2,436 Posts
I ended up taking 7th out of 99 entries, for a $200 payday. My KJ suited got killed by the Kid's 7/9 offsuit, when he made trip 9s. I shoulda known I was in trouble, b/c David has been REALLY hot with the 9s lately. Actually its kinda funny, b/c before the tourney, the Kid was telling me about how he got busted twice in the cash game by a guy rivering his trip nine on the river...

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Don't hate on Quads.....
He went from a 18% or so preflop hand to a 99.999% post flop.

Wild! Great times.

I've been in Vegas checking out the ation here. Full reports later. Love hearing about people from our games represent in the Derby tourney.

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK ok so it probably wasn't the best call I've ever made in poker. We've all been there. The blinds were going up to 3000/6000 within minutes, and that only would have left me with enough chips for less than 2 orbits... didn't know if I'd see another hand like 99 before I bled out.

Of course, if I had put Worm on a monster then I would have easily laid the hand down... in all honesty I misread him and put him on big cards (AK most likely) and that he was pushing his chips around to get the initial raiser out of the pot. (Initial raiser, ironically, held AK or so he said).

After the flop, the rest is dirty history. It all happens sooner or later, I'm just sad that it happened to a good guy and an excellent player. Ya should have gone on to win that thing, Worm.

Then on my BB my 97 was against Heat's KJs (small blind was also a force all-in), and it only cost me 3000 (6000 in my BB, total of 18,000, I'll call with almost any 2 cards). Caught some more 9's there and that should have put me in position to take the whole thing.

We decided not to chop when it was heads up. He slowed played his AQ and caught be semi-bluffing when I flopped bottom pair with a backdoor flush draw, but his A flopped and there was no improving for me. Stupid play by me. We had even chips, and I think I could have outplayed him, I just got anxious.

Worm, all the respect for you... you're one of the strongest BYOC players, and much more experienced in tournament play than I am. Sorry for the bad beat.

See ya all around. I'll be out of town camping till next week.

-David "kid"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough Kid. I respect your play as well. You've been at the final table of the Derby tourney more consistently than anyone in our group and there's a lot to be said about that. On the other side of the coin, you have to close the door shut on that tourney!! Nobody remembers the guy who took 2nd place (and I think that's 2 or 3 second place finishes for you). Don't get me wrong, I know $700 (2nd place prize at the Derby) times 2 or 3 (2nd place finished) equals pretty good $$$, but it's more so the principal of it.

I have no doubt in my mind that you should have kicked the shit out of that guy (you were heads up with) last night. He was a nervous nelly with more TELLS than William himself!!

I'm sure I'll see you next Tuesday and we'll go at it again at the final table!

Great job!!

Worm

·
Registered
686 Posts
Worm,

Glad there's no hard feelings. Yes, that guy was full of tells... I just got carried away and played the hand badly... should have seen that coming, not sure what my problem was.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, this makes 4, count em, FOUR 2nd. place finishes for me at the Tuesday $55 Derby tourney. Still can't manage to crack that first place finish!! :x

2nd. is $1000 or around that, not $700. Last night it was $1040, so $40 for the dealers made it a G. I can taste that first place. I wish there were more tourneys around here on a weekly basis that I could compete in... I need to get some more tournament experience.

-David "Kid"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure you'll take 1st place very soon. See you Tuesday!

Worm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts