Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to this site but have been looking around alot and seem to like what I see. This is my first time posting so please help if you can.

I am going to be making a backboard for my dartboard. I was thinking about using a 3' 8" by 3' 8" sheet of plywood and covering it in 1/2" thick cork. The dartboard will then be hung on the backboard which will be attached to the wood studs in the wall. The studs are 2' apart. Are the studs going to hold all this weight? Im trying to spend as little money on this as possible. Is there a cheaper type of wood I could use instead of plywood to mount everything to? I could use a third stud if I have to by making the board bigger so it can reach it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Will the studs hold up a sheet of ply with cork on top? Yeah, no problem. They hold up kitchen cabinets.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Since the ply is going to be overlayed by corkboard make sure to only get 1/2" pine ply to cut costs. It's not going to be seen anyway.

Maybe even get some exterior grade stuff if there's a piece that's straight enough.

Pictures will be a must once completed and welcome to the community.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
The other thing to consider, however I don't know if it would be cheaper would be a piece of foam. I've seen it used before, but don't know what type of foam they use. it's usually about 1" thick, and not "spongy" but allows the darts to stick in it.

Might be worth checking out, otherwise, a piece of cork aught do the trick.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i will be taking pictures along the way so everyone can see the progress. I was also thinking that since im on a budget... (Im only 16) putting carpet on the ply would be better since I dont necessarily need the darts to stick just not hit the wall or the wood directly as the tips would break. Carpet is probably going to be alot cheaper as I could get scrap pieces for cheap at Home Depot. Foam doesnt seem like that bad of an idea either. I will look into that.

·
Thread Killer
22,060 Posts
5 Replies and no questions or comments about his avatar?

Yowza! :eek:

Who is that?

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I built basically teh same thing for my board. But I had to build a frame to hang it on and attach it to the floor joints since my basment doesn't ahve finished walls. Here's mine:
http://perfectmancave.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9855&highlight=dart+board
Thanks so much this will help me alot.. So I got some particle board from my neighbor and since its in two pieces im gonna attach them with 2 pieces of wood on the back. Then I just need to buy the the other materials and finish putting it together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 Replies and no questions or comments about his avatar?

Yowza! :eek:

Who is that?

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:
haha i have no idea my buddy sent me that pic and I was gonna crop out her face but instead felt too lazy and decided to upload as is... nice rack tho haha.

Thanks for the welcoming

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
i made mine using scrape 2x4s, a piece of 3/4 plywood and some carpet. i made a box with the 2x4s on edge and covered it in carpet. it works like a charm and is very stable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i made mine using scrape 2x4s, a piece of 3/4 plywood and some carpet. i made a box with the 2x4s on edge and covered it in carpet. it works like a charm and is very stable.
Yeah I was thinking about using carpet since the cork is really expensive... right now I have the board all done and the cabinet for the dartboard is mounted on... (yes it may seem weird but even though my dartboard is in a cabinet, i wanted a backboard). I just need to get the carpet or cork, and put it on and hang the entire thing. What kind of hangers do you think i should use since i dont want to screw it directly into the studs. Keep in mind this things ways alot.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
i took a 2x4 and split it at a 45* angle. i mounted half inside the box and the other half to the wall via studs. i can lift it on and off at will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i took a 2x4 and split it at a 45* angle. i mounted half inside the box and the other half to the wall via studs. i can lift it on and off at will.
i think i understand what your saying... kinda confusing tho. I found this heavy duty picture hanger that can hold 150lbs in studs and 100lbs in just drywall... im pretty sure my board weighs less than 150 cuz thats what I weigh haha. Im also putting a shelf at the bottom of the backboard for the darts to sit on when not in use. just need the carpet now cuz apparantly home depot doesnt sell cork

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I bought 1' square piece of cork at Micheals. They are 1/2" thick and came in packs 3 I think. It took me 3 packs to cover the area I have cork on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought 1' square piece of cork at Micheals. They are 1/2" thick and came in packs 3 I think. It took me 3 packs to cover the area I have cork on.
I found carpet at my neighbors house that they dont need so I got that for free... Im now installing the carpet and the shelf onto the board.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Alright I finished it a while ago but never got around to posting the pics of it... sorry for the wait but here they are. Sorry about the quality dont have a real camera had to use my cell phone... not too bad tho.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
sorry...all pix look the same with a small red x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts