Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after three weeks of staring at a wall dripping with cables from the TV to the floor and my wife constantly reminding me of the wall dripping with cables running from the TV to the floor I decided it was time to get messy. No I didn't gag her and set her out in the rain. I just politely told her I was going to take a circular saw to the wall and make so much dust she'd cry for a week.

I researched what I might find by opening up the wall above my chimney and the stories I read varied. I knew there was some amount of wood between the plaster and the brick because I had already mounted my TV bracket on the wall successfully. But I wasn't sure how much space I would find (if any) to run some PVC for my wiring.

Well, it turned out to be about a 1.75" gap. Not much but enough to run cable for an outlet and a couple of tubes just wide enough for what I needed. Originally I was only going to run one tube but I ended up having to do two because I couldn't get the HDMI cable to fit through despite half a can of KY jelly. I almost popped a hemorrhoid I was shoving it so hard. Wait, what website is this? In hindsight I should have run the cable with the tube in pieces before assembling it. Stupid beer.

Anyway, all in all not to bad of an experience. I am in the process of taping and mudding over everything. I'll post picts of the finished product. Feel free to take a look at the picts and if you've done this before let me know what I did right and what I will live to regret.

·
Badministrator
42,728 Posts
Very nice use of tools, imagination, and cables.
The *only* thing I can see is that if you're every going to pull another cable through there, that 90* PVC elbow is going to be a tough one. You may consider swapping those out for sweeping elbows or pulling a couple of rip cords for future pulls through there.

Otherwise, very nice work.

·
Super Moderator
8,426 Posts
How are you planning to repair the drywall? You left nothing to attach new pieces to. Just mudding over the whole thing? I would think that would crack easily being so thick, and take forever to dry.

·
Registered
29,128 Posts
For small areas with no studs, I've just taken thin scraps of wood and screwed them in... just something to give you a surface the screw the drywall into... I think I used those wooden paint stirrers for the extra small repairs.

Even that, though, I'm not sure if there is room behind the sheetrock but in front of the pipes to do that.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I have an idea to drywall over those pipes....

- Cut out more drywall on top and bottom of your pipes.
- Buy yourself some thin drywall (1/4" instead of 1/2").
- Buy yourself some 3/4" pine to rip into strips.
- In the area you just cut out, use 2 strips of pine glued together (to make 1 1/2" thick) and glue them to the bricks using liquid nails. This should give you something to screw the drywall to.
- Patch away....

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
The recessed outlet definitely looks like a good idea. What other cables besides HDMI did you run? Did you put an ethernet RJ45 cable through for internet ready sets?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Curious, why a recessed plug?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Curious, why a recessed plug?
If you have a flatscreen mounted (it looks like he has a flush mount)...the power cord is going to stick out 3" or so when it is plugged in without the recessed outlet. This can be problematic for flush mounting and other wiring because the sticking out power chord can hit the tv (making it not flush) or make running wires (HDMI, optical etc) difficult with the tv mounted. The recessed outlet costs ~$6 and will make for a cleaner mount. I installed one of these when I flush mounted my tv in the basement (last house) and it ended up saving me a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I decided to just tape the hell out of the opening and mud over it after talking it over with a builder friend of mine. There was only about 1/16" of space so no real place to put drywall. I am on coat three tonight and plan on doing at least one or two more before sanding. I'm not putting it on real thick so hopefully it will dry without cracking. I'll just have to see how it holds up. I hung the TV back up and the way it sits on the mount there is enough room for a standard outlet so I didn't need a recessed one. But that is a good idea for a future project. Okay, back to my cinemax "movie".

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Are you using the green bucket of mud for the 1st coats
It has more glue
The blue top stuff is much softer - final coats

·
Registered
171 Posts
Nice. I agree that running future cables will be a little challenging, but you can tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through.

I wouldn't hung pictures over the old wires and told my wife that's how it would stay (I'm looking at an ugly jumble of wires that runs our under-cabinet kitchen lighting that I can't figure out what to do with).

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Nice. I agree that running future cables will be a little challenging, but you can tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through.
Take some kite string and HOLD one end. Place a bunch from the other end in the top hole, and then take the hose of your vacuum and place it up against the bottom hole. The suction will pull the string out the bottom and then tie your wire and carefully pull it back through

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That vacuum idea is a good one. I ended up tying a bunch of nuts to the end of some twine and pushing down until it dropped down the vertical pipe.

·
Badministrator
42,728 Posts
Take some kite string and HOLD one end. Place a bunch from the other end in the top hole, and then take the hose of your vacuum and place it up against the bottom hole. The suction will pull the string out the bottom and then tie your wire and carefully pull it back through
FUCKING BRILLIANT!
An old trick of the trade I'm sure!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
we use vacuum with attachments for different pipe size to suck in string for hundreds of feet. it's pretty amazing sometimes how fast a string can move thru 300' of conduit.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thank you NathanJax

Recently mounted the TV over the fireplace with a smurf tube running behind the wall. I was just about to start wrestling the cables down the tube when I remembered reading this post.

Worked like a charm.

+rep and few worthless chips coming your way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts