·
Banned.
3,232 Posts
Where'd you guys play 3/6?

·
Registered
686 Posts
3/6 can eat me :evil:

its too damn frustrating, and not worth my time even if i do pull a profit...
for me its NL or 8/16 and up if im playing limit. sometime 6/12 kill if its a juicy game (ie: eldorado or cache out creek)

-David

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't play. James and Heather played it up in Tahoe over the weekend. Still waiting for a trip report from him.

·
Registered
57 Posts
$3/6 is usually a fishing pond. Sometimes it's stocked with goldfish who call all the way and fold on the river (sometimes they call too). Sometimes it's stocked with goldfish who call all the way but mutant to pirhana on the river and eat your stack away.

Seen both species.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
$3/6 is usually a fishing pond.
Usually is an understatement. It's not a question of whether the pond is stocked, it's a question of whether or not the fish are gonna pound you by hitting their 73 and Q4 hands.

I don't remember the last session where I lost more than a couple hands to "better" cards. I usually get pounded by the garbage that is so bad that it's not even mentioned by the experts. Example, my last hand at Rancho's last week:

I pick up 66 and decide I'm gonna get well or go home on this hand (It had been a rough cople hours and I was down near the felt). I miss the flop but figure I can still hit my set and win. The flop has 2 spades which I don't really like (cuz I don't have the 6 spades). NOrmally I throw this away, but I was pretty much tilting. SUre as shit, the 6 of spades hits the turn. I figure one of the 5 or 6 monkeys in the hand hit their flush but I throw my last $5 hoping to pair the board. River is a blank. There is a bet and a raise on the river. The raiser won the pot with 73 spades! (Yes there was at least on raise preflop.) I could have handled the flush if it was a reasonable hand (Ax, T9, 87 even Kx) but a 73?

This shit really drives me nuts. I really wish I could get my BR big enough to be able to consistently take on some of the bigger games (4/8 isn't much difference), but the suckouts just keep me scrambling for a BR to play with. Maybe I'll get 12 or 15 consecutive weeks of good sessions to get my BR back up..... yeah right.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hagar,

Why not play a different game than $3/6 in your case.
Why not go to a NL game, $5/10 or $6/12? When you think about it, what you burn through in a $3/6 game, it isn't much more than what you would want to have to sit down at a $5/10 table or NL table. (NL being a low blind like 2/5, or even better yet, 1/2 such as the Black Sheep)

You've got the skillz to play the higher game, perhaps it's simply a matter of stepping up and takign a whack at it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hagar,

I gotta agree with Quads on this one. I had the same problem sometime last year. I was still playing 3/6 mostly, but I think I had grown out of it. I was sick of the suckouts, and figured, hey why not BR a little more and take a stab at a higher game? So I saved up a little bit, brought $600 and played the 9/18 at Capitol... never looked back from there. I still play 4/8 at Derby quite a bit, but thats mostly killing time until a tourney, NL or 12/24 opens up.

You've got the skill to play these levels, and with your good solid game you should be able to make it no problems. And the best part is, no super suckouts!!

-David

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't have any doubt about my skills, I just can't raise a reasonable BR to hit the bigger games. I have taken a few stabs at NL (and will continue to) but it only takes one or two bad hands there to get broke. I'll usually throw 1 or 2 racks at a 3/6 or 4/8 game and I usually get at least 3 hours of play (or torture if you will) out of it.

I don't have a lot of extra scratch to throw at a bigger game - if I start out with a bad session at a higher level, I'm out of circulation for a month, inculding our games. I'm just in one of those unfortunate places right now where I can't seem to creep my BR up to a level where I feel comfortable taking on a bigger sessions. That's pretty much been my goal for the last year or so, but with so many crappy suckfest sessions, it's really hard to get ahead. I'll get there.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts