Man Cave Forums - Discussing The Perfect Man Cave banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming off the high of a good weekend of cards, I decided to try out the $55 Tuesday Derby tourney again. Took 2nd. last week, but with 100+ players I wasn't looking for much.

So the first half of the tourney goes pretty much the same as last week. Every time someone busts out in the first 3 rounds, they fill that seat with an alternate (6 tables +alternates = 100+). Much of this appears to be dead money, and I double up twice when someone moves in with 2nd pair, no kicker on pair, etc.

Surviving down to 2 tables things get iffy. I'm down to the felt probably 6 times from here on out, and double up all of those :shock:

Down to one table, I've got average stack at 18k, blinds at 2/4k. Small stacks are desparate and pushing, and then we're down to 4. Now I'm a serious short stack. I push all in for about 12k with 55, AJo calls and my pair holds. Down to 3 and this one guy (a total ass by the way), goes all in, the other guy has a huge chip lead and calls and wins with A9o. So he's got 60k+ to my 20k, and he says "man I'm tired, lets just split the 1st and 2nd money and ill take the 1st place title. I'm down 3 to 1 chips, so it's a no brainer to me. 2nd is $948, 1st is $1450, but we chop and each get $1200. Sweet :D

So that's 2 2nd place titles in 2 weeks at that tourney. Next week I'm looking for the win!!

-David "Kid"

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Nicely done!
Well done man. Always a respectiable placing on the final table in that tourney. Getting there is often a land mine.

Well done!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
What a sweet deal you got (however, you had to get to that position to be offer that deal). Based on the chip count you really just deserve about $150 more to added to the second place money. But congrats on your streak.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You obviously got a great deal at the end, but you have to play them out if you want to crack the top.

Good work Kid.

·
Badministrator
42,726 Posts
Chop is chop. It's $1145 you didn't have before.
SJ played in the tourney last night as well. (Don't know if you saw him there) I know a couple other cats that I played in a home game were in there too.

Again, like I said, chop for $1200, any day.

Good job.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
On that kind of tourney first place really doesn't mean anything (i.e. no seats to other tourney for the winner, or some extra that can be translate to monetary value). If the guy want to give me $150 more than I deserve, in theory at least, based on the chip count I would take it everytime.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good or bad??

Thanks for all the support, guys. Now that work is slowing up, I plan on being at most of the BYOC events for the next month or so.

Yeah, the deal seemed like a good one to me. The only prosperity that 1st place gets is that you get to be the bounty next week. Good or bad?? Whoever takes out the bounty gets their entry fee back, so people are going to aim at calling you down. Not sure if this is in your favor or not? What do you guys think, just out of curiousity??

Again, thanks for all the kind words. Placing in a tourney like that (SUPER aggresive blind structure) is probably more luck than anything, but it's still fun. I know that I went all in 6 times and didn't lose any, so that's lucky.

See ya all around! Is there a game this weekend? Otherwise, someone hit me up if they plan on taking a trip out to CC or Reno if the weather is good.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My views on bounty:

I honestly think that bounties don't change things one way or the other to any great degree. It may make a marginal player make a bad decision, but the good players will likley ignore it and the bad players...well they're already bad.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
IMO you never want to be a target (i.e. as the only bounty in the game). You have lessen chance of surviving the tourney if everything want a shot at you, even when you are a big fav in every all in situations. Simply the fact that a player can knock you out and get his/her entry back turns almost all negative expectation to a positive one (on your opponents part) when s/he has you all in. This is especially true during the early and middle stages of the tourney.

For example: You are the bounty. There are 100 entries to start. Now it is down to 40. Only the final 10 get paid. You have the lead after the flop and the turn such as top pair or over pair and you put your lone opponent on just a flush draw so after the turn he is a 4 to 1 dog. You go all in and s/he has an automatic call regardless of the pot size if s/he has more chips than you because by collecting the bounty s/he gets the entry fee back. S/he can even call you if s/he has only a 2 outer most of the time when there are 40 players remaining and everyone is a long way from getting in the money, so winnin any normal pot isn't any guarantee of getting paid but winning the pot against you when you are all in sure is.

G

·
That's good money there fella, but I understand the wanting to take first. Earning a 1st place finish in anything pays dividends for ego and self confidence and recognition. Good job for the consistant play, it definitely paid off.

·
Registered
732 Posts
David,

How long does the Derby tourney take when you get down to the final 3 or 4 people? 3 hours or so?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A quick update on this posting.

Kahuna, the tourney usually ends around 10pm or so if you get down to the last couple of people. So about 3 1/2 hours if you plan on being there till the end. It can be a little draining playing that long with so many loose aggressive people who tend not to have a lot of tournament (or sometimes Hold em) skills, but still fun and rewarding if you make it!

DA, there are 2 Derby tourneys. This one is Tuesday at 6:30pm. $55 no rebuy. Sign ups start at 5:00, and if you're seated in a game, you get first dibs on sign ups. Hint, get there around 4:30, and play a couple hands of blackjack or Pai Gow at about 4:55. They'll come to those tables and give you sign up rights after they finish at the Hold Em tables. Otherwise, there's usually a line of people, and it sucks being an alternate.
There's another tourney on Sat. morning at 8:30 I think. Too early for me, since they say it's sold out by 7:30. Same deal as Tue, but $35 buyin.

Also they have a $100 Superbowl tourney this sun, but I'm going to be in Davis at a friends house drinking it up and BBQ while watching some ball.

-David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts