help on wooden pedestals - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Chips: 55,188
a5mcdonald is a pretty cool cata5mcdonald is a pretty cool cat
Default help on wooden pedestals

I am building some poker tables with wooden pedestal legs. The legs at adam's - do they come with the feet or do you have to buy the feet seperate?

Also, is the height of them appropriate for a table? Do I have to add some wood where the legs are attached to make them a little bit taller?

Also how sturdy are they and what is the best way to assemble them to the table?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 262,822,848
MsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimpsMsprinM is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: help on wooden pedestals

Welcome aboard. Someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly and answer your questions. If possible add a link to the legs that you purchased so the guys will have a better idea of what to tell you.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Well that's the thing I have not purchased the legs yet.

I am looking at getting the Economy Colonial 10' wooden single pedestals from Adam's

I am just wondering if you have to buy the feet separate or do they come with them? I am also wondering if you need to add any height to them if they are only 26 and 1/2 inches tall and am just wondering what is the best way to attach them to the table.

Am also wondering how sturdy the 8x4 oval table would be with two of these pedestals on them. I plan on building the table with one 3/4 inch piece of plywood with the left over piece from the railing attached to the bottom for extra support. I plan on attaching the wooden pedestal legs on the left over piece that is going to be underneath the table.

Should I put an entirely new piece of wood as well as the left over piece from the cutout of the railing? This table needs to be completely sturdy and not wobble or shake at all.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
"D" Cup
Asteroids Champion

Chips: 36,523
morningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5mcdonald View Post
I am building some poker tables with wooden pedestal legs. The legs at adam's - do they come with the feet or do you have to buy the feet seperate? You have to buy the feet separately, but you can chose which type you prefer.

Also, is the height of them appropriate for a table? Do I have to add some wood where the legs are attached to make them a little bit taller? Check some of the other tables, you'll see some sort of sub base or lifter to raise the leg room. Depending on your needs, very minimum of 26 1/2" to no more than 30" clearance will work.

The 24 1/2" ped with a 3/4 sub base is more than enough because the legs will add another inch to an inch and a half off the floor.
Also how sturdy are they They are pretty sturdy either just using the legs or adding a stretcher. and what is the best way to assemble them to the table? Thats all you get young grasshopper, Thoust musith commence with homework. Thou searchith button...hither to...yada yada yada. Once you have it in front of you (literally) you'll shit bricks. Its not hard.

Thanks.
Hope this helps. There are more uber builders out there that can kick the can if they are properly tickled.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,029,255
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

I like to build my own...so I won't be much help.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,619
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

You will usually need to add the feet to the order, as there are several choices on the feet you can put to a ped.

Here is a step by step on a table I built some time back which has some insight on attaching the legs to the base of the table.

step by step on a few points of interest:
I started with the wood bases (maple) from Adams wood products

you have to get a little creative and put your thinking cap on when you get these and need to mount / attach them to the table base in some way.

so i came up with the idea of building a base that would attach to the wood pedestal, and then attach to the table with t-nuts. so i cut this base out, (not pretty, but functional) and used a router to countersink where the nut and washer would come through.

problem was the screws / studs that come out of the bases are a touch too long.

nothing your disposable harbour freight angle grinder can't tackle!

t-nuts that will come through the bottom of the base, up to the support (was marked as scrap, but i figured a little extra support can't hurt anything.

base, support stretcher, t-nut, etc.

i decided to do a little different rail after a conversation with moddy about how the rail would look against the table, being that i used 1/2" foam for the play surface. so we kicked up the thickness of the rail to hide the stapled edge of the table where the suited cloth comes down to.

foam on the rail

vinyl, stapled on the outside

trimmed

vinyl stapled on the inside

put it all together in the garage and it looks like this:

flush mounted drink holders

underside

here is where that thicker rail comes into play. from this view, you would see the stapled edge of the suited cloth.

tables in their new home!

The resolution on some of these picks looks like ass. those are not wrinkles or jack up suited cloth. it is the picture which is washed out.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Thanks this helps out a lot.... I will use the scrap wood I have from the cutting the rail and attach the legs to that with the t-nuts

How do you attach the extra piece of wood to the actual table? Did you just guerilla glue it or something?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,605,604
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post

so i came up with the idea of building a base that would attach to the wood pedestal, and then attach to the table with t-nuts. so i cut this base out, (not pretty, but functional) and used a router to countersink where the nut and washer would come through.

nothing your disposable harbour freight angle grinder can't tackle!

That's exactly what I did. Except I don't have an angle grinder. I just measured where I needed to cut the bolts to fit the countersunk top base and cut them with a hacksaw then smoothed the rough cut edges with a file.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,619
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5mcdonald View Post
Thanks this helps out a lot.... I will use the scrap wood I have from the cutting the rail and attach the legs to that with the t-nuts

How do you attach the extra piece of wood to the actual table? Did you just guerilla glue it or something?
Screws.
This gives you the ability to separate the two when you need to move them or something.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
Screws.
This gives you the ability to separate the two when you need to move them or something.

errr, i dont see any screws that attach the actual table to the rectangle piece of wood that the pedestal legs are attached to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables