Cup Holders in Rail (with rings) - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,392,453
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Cup Holders in Rail (with rings)

For those looking to install cup holders in your rails, here’s a quick description of how I do mine. One minor problem you sometimes get is if the cup holder is sitting directly on the vinyl/foam, the area around the cup holder will indent and the cup will sink into the rail a little. My solution to this was to install rings at each cup holder location, so that the cup is sitting on a solid piece of wood instead of the foam, and thus you don’t get that indentation around the cup.

Lay out and cut your cup holders holes out of the rail. Using some of the left over ” plywood scraps (the corner cut-off scraps work good), I cut wood rings with an inner diameter matching the cup holder holes in the rail, and an outer diameter about 1.25”1/2" wider (so the ring is about 5/8”1/4" thick). You can either cut the rings with a router and circle jig or a combination of hole saws – I typically use a router for everything. Now glue the rings down to the top of the wood rail:

Edit: since originally making this thread, I've refined the process so the rings are only 1/4" thick now, which fully supports the cup but doesn't extent out beyond the rim of the cup holder:

I believe the ring on right is the one I went with:

Then glue your 1" HD foam to the top of the rail & cut out the cup holder holes in the foam from underneath:

The foam will be sitting on top of the rings, so you have to stretch the foam around the ring so it's nice and snug. This way you won’t have any gaps in the foam around the ring.

(Note this obviously wasn't the actual rail, it was a mock-up I did with some old Jo-Ann’s foam to check what size rings would be good, but it's the same concept)

This way the cup holders are sitting on something solid (the ring), versus sitting on the foam. Now you cover your rail with vinyl like you would normally do. Once you’ve finished, carefully cut an X over the cup holder hole in the vinyl and staple the vinyl to the inside of the cup holder hole/ring. Note you don't want to make the X cut too big, as the vinyl may tear. Sometimes you'll need a few extra slits to get the vinyl stapled in without any wrinkles - this can frustrating as it's far from an exact science and is pretty time consuming. Rinse and repeat for each cup holder.

Final results:

Last edited by Irish; 08-13-2011 at 06:31 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
"C" Cup

Chips: 62,492
pond007 is a pretty cool catpond007 is a pretty cool cat
Send a message via AIM to pond007 Send a message via Yahoo to pond007
Default Re: Cup Holders in Rail (with rings)

Very nice. Rep sent.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:50 AM
iFanBoy

Chips: 123,947,438
Guma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome How-To!
+Rep Coming
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
"B" Cup

Chips: 62,879
mikeyinsd is a pretty cool catmikeyinsd is a pretty cool cat
Send a message via AIM to mikeyinsd

Very nice looking table. Makes the cup holders consistent also!

check out my website! www.hmpokertables.com
Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 63,091
MisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud ofMisterShark has much to be proud of

Matt,

How'r you cutting that small of a circle with your router? I'm reading this right now as I'm about to call it a day, so I'm not going to head out to my workshop to try this with my router & Lewin compass, but I can't visualize it making circles with such a tight radius.

Did you make a larger hole cut to serve as a template (which you then run your router along the inner edge of)?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 AM
"D" Cup
Asteroids Champion

Chips: 37,685
morningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to allmorningwood is a name known to all

You've been +rep'd

Table rail looks great.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:29 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,392,453
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShark View Post
Matt,

How'r you cutting that small of a circle with your router? I'm reading this right now as I'm about to call it a day, so I'm not going to head out to my workshop to try this with my router & Lewin compass, but I can't visualize it making circles with such a tight radius.

Did you make a larger hole cut to serve as a template (which you then run your router along the inner edge of)?
Yeah, the Lewin compass won't get you that small of a radius, I use a Jasper circle compass:

http://www.woodworkingmatters.com/Re...er_400_Jig.htm

I use this for all my cup holder holes & rings. I like this vs. the hole saw because I only need this one jig, which can make holes from 1 inch to 7 1/2 inches in diameter in 1/16 inch increments. So, you can use this for regular, large, jumbos, rings, etc. whereas with a hole saw you'd need a bit for each size. Time-wise it's probably about the same, the hole saw may be a bit quicker if you've got a kick ass drill. I can never keep the hole saw straight so this works better for me.

James - if want to borrow the Jasper shoot me a PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 10,936,649,804
Trann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimpsTrann is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via AIM to Trann Send a message via MSN to Trann Send a message via Yahoo to Trann

Nice write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Can we see this angle without the cupholder in place?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
PMC Banker / Loan Officer

Chips: 61,888
Gerdass is a pretty cool catGerdass is a pretty cool cat

Do you secure the cupholder with anything, or does it just sit in there with the vinyl holding it snug?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 1,068,561
big0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of lightbig0mike is a glorious beacon of light

I've only tried it with some PVC which was roughly the thickness of the lip on the cupholder. So, even if someone put all their weight right next to the cupholder you wouldn't see a lip from the ring. With a .75" or 1" lip you'd see an obvious edge if a lot of weight is put right next to the cupholder.

For my next attempt I will take some scraps, or even a full sheet of .75" ply to someone with a CNC and have him cut as many as he can out of it. Realisticly, you probably don't want to make them much thinner than .5" and to avoid any visible "lip" from pressure right next to the cupholder I'll use a roundover bit on the outside edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables