Mini Review: Lansky Sharpening System - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 04-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,606,307
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps
Default Mini Review: Lansky Sharpening System

So I've never been able to sharpen a knife worth a damn, and resorted to gizmos that usually end up ruining a blade. A week or so ago I contacted a knife maker and asked what he would recommend. He pretty much cut me short on the phone (politely) and said Lansky without hesitation.

I like to get more than one opinion, so I e-mailed my homie Cajun Eddie. He goes "Boy aaiiieee, dat dere wun gud knife shapenah!" Actually he doesn't type like that, but that's how I imagine he talks. Kinda like Troy from Swamp people. Also gave the JC a call to see if he had heard of the Lansky, or knew of anything better. JC said something about the Airborne Seals using them. That's what I remembered him saying. You know how his posts ramble so you just start picking and choosing what you want to hear? Just like that. All I heard was yadda-yadda Airborne Seals yadda-yadda. I was sold.

Off to the webs I went!

Found by far the best pricing on Amazon. $30 shipped for the "deluxe" 5 stone kit. The manufacturer's website says $50 for the same thing. There are several different kits, but the 5 stone seemed the best choice. It's just a couple more bucks than the 3 stone kit, but quite a bit cheaper than the diamond kits (which I was told I really didn't need.)

What is it and how do you use it? Easiest thing is just go here> Lansky Demo Video

Yep. It's pretty much that simple. Clamp your knife in the holder, pick your angle, start to whacking.
I did pop for the c-clamp stand. Well worth it in my opinion. Makes it tons mo' easier.

So the evening it came I grabbed a few junk knives and went at it. In my hurry to play with my new gear test it out, I forgot to take before pics of the knives. You'll just have to trust as to how bad the edges of the blades were. I was surprised at how easy it works. And how effective. To be honest, for $30 I was kinda expecting something not all that great.

Here's the 'after' pics of the knives. The first is a $10 Gerber that I'd used a Smith pocket sharpener on so many times the blade was rurnt. I took by the service department where I work to get one of the guys there to sharpen it. He lol'd and handed it back. Told me the edge was too far gone and to just buy a new knife.

He can fro. Spent 10 minutes on it with the Lansky. 2 "cycles" through the stones and BAAM...

Here's a Old Timer that I have no clue how old it is. Was my grandfather's. The edge of the blade looked like it had been used as a screwdriver. About 5 minutes with the Lansky. I really need to run it through another 'cycle.'

THE VERDICT:
Go get one. If you don't already have it.
PROS:
It costs what maybe a couple pocket sharpeners cost, lasts a lifetime, simple to use, puts an 'arm hair shaving' edge on your blade.
CONS:
Really none. The guide rods seem cheap, but the entire kit only costs $30, so what do you expect? A similar Apex kit costs over $200. I like those maths.
TIPS:
I really recommend the $12 c-clamp stand. Tried holding it with my hand and with the clamp. The clamp just makes it a lot easier and quicker in my opinion. And don't bother with the Super sapphire polishing stone Amazon suckered me into buying recommends if you get the 5 stone kit. The yellow handled stone in the 5 stone kit does the same thing. If you have a 3 stone kit and want a polishing stone, I know where you can get one. Fairly cheap.

EDIT: 5/13/12 UPDATE
One of my tips above was to get the clamp. Now I feel it's really not needed.
After using the Lansky kit about a dozen times, I'm more than comfortable using it without the clamp. And I find it's actually quicker that way.

I was so impressed by the kit I rearranged my Pegboard Of Fame to give the kit a permanent home.

(I took off a Swanky because the guide rods are kinda flimsy.

Last edited by Seven; 05-13-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 1,634,924
monkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of light

^What he said ^

Good review and very accurate.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 35,184
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mini Review: Lansky Sharpening System

Toldja yada, yada, yada, ... very charp!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,029,983
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

very nice review. Thanks, but I will stick with my arkansas wetstone like my grandpappy used to teach me to put an edge on that will shave the hair on your face and your arm.

btw...if you are so inclined you can put a helluvan edge on a knife using the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup....
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 35,184
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

True. The lansky system is not about the abrasive though, it's about controlling the angle. You can get sharp on an arkansas stone, no doubt. But you'll get a more consistent sngle with this system.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,606,307
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
But you'll get a more consistent sngle with this system.
Exactly. That's why I've always struggled with whet rocks. The knife maker that recommended the Lansky said the key to sharpening was consistency. A consistent angle, and consistent honing on both sides of the blade.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Plastic Surgeon

j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

I put a consistant angle on every knife I sharpen...to each his own sir...but I will match my edge with yours anytime :-)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 49,401
Dan308 has a spectacular aura about

My brother had a Lansky, I found it to have too much slop. I made my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOrPH6m34PE

Last edited by Dan308; 04-22-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 1,634,924
monkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of light

That edge'll cut like a hot knife slicing through butter spam
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Plastic Surgeon

hypothetical situation:

you have to bug out and can't carry all that equipment....isn't it better to have and know how to use a arkansas whetstone>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out