Mini-racetrack Table - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,391,182
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Mini-racetrack Table

I've had most of the materials for a new poker table for over a year now (even a custom cloth!), but last year really sucked on numerous levels with regards to having any free time to build. This year I'm resolved to getting it built, so I wanted to get a thread going to help give myself a kick in the ass to get started.

I run a monthly tourney that typically draws at least a dozen people, so the new table will serve as a second table to this table. One of the reasons I've been lackadaisical in getting started is that I actually have a pretty kick-ass second table:

I picked this up off craigslist a couple of years ago, screaming good deal. The only "real" flaw was that the previous owner's cat used a portion of the rail as a scratching post:

The other "flaw" is that my guys hate the custom cloth - they say it feels & looks awesome, but the card slide isn't as nice as SSC. Considering the price I picked it up for, the table has already paid for itself, but I do plan on salvaging portions of the table to save me some work & time. The pedestals are gorgeous and in mint condition, so those will be staying, as will the exposed "base" sheet with the chrome decorative nails thats finished to match the pedestals. That will serve as the base for the new table, so the overall dimensions will stay the same.

The new table will be a racetrack style, though the racetrack will only be a little over 3" wide. That should be just enough room to line up two rows of chips on the track, and cards can stay on the felt so they're easier to pick up. I'm planning on a birch racetrack with a black dye stain - I've done some test pieces and got this really neat look where it's dark enough to look solid black from a distance, but you can see the swirly grains when you're up close. I'm also planning on installing small pearl inlays (like what you'd see on a guitar fret board) to mark each player position on the track.

I will probably try to recycle some of the rail components, but the rail will be completely redone. Aside from the vinyl damage, the rail is only ~4.5" wide, and I really prefer a nice wide rail on my tables. The rail will be raised with led lighting behind a suited diffuser around the inside portion of the rail, and I will try to incorporate cup holders in the rail if I can fit them. Rail will be covered in padded suede.

I've got just about all the materials except the racetrack plywood, and hope to get started soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
iFanBoy

Chips: 123,946,259
Guma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of lightGuma is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New Year's Resolution - Get Working on a New Table

As a Former Marine, I would like to ask what you are going to do with that cloth. If you are not going to use it again, would you consider selling it? Price?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps

I got around to doing a test piece for the racetrack this weekend, and really liked the results. Going with a birch racetrack stained black with small 1/2" diameter white mother of pearl inlays at each seating location. Colorwise, the goal is to make it dark enough to look almost 100% black from a distance, but to have the grain pattern show through when you're seated. Here's the test piece, it still needs a couple more coats of poly to smooth out the surface but it's good enough to show how it should look. I think it needs to be a hair darker, I'll have to strengthen the stain concentration for the final product:

Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,475,897
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

hey Irish - love the mother of pearl, that's fantastic.

In the table in original post, can you give me a guestimate of how many decorative nail heads did it take to do the outer portion of the rail, and what the spacing is?

Thanks

Spoiler:
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Thread Killer

Chips: 34,377
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Nail calculator I built - download it here. In Excel.

http://home.comcast.net/~johncollins...calculator.xls

It calculates linear inches per player for both oval and round tables and if you put in the nail spacing, it tells you how many you need.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 296,475,897
Richard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud ofRichard Cranium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
Nail calculator I built - download it here. In Excel.

http://home.comcast.net/~johncollins...calculator.xls

It calculates linear inches per player for both oval and round tables and if you put in the nail spacing, it tells you how many you need.
Very nice - should be added to the table guide thread!

Spoiler:
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
"B" Cup

Chips: 8,543,500
Bigbear659 has a spectacular aura about

Another former Marine here. That table is friggin' awesome and I would definitely love to have something like that. Nice idea for the future.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 2,653,646,666
SniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant futureSniperD5 has a brilliant future

That inlay is sweet, got any step by step instructions or photos on how you did that?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 34,377
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Very nice - should be added to the table guide thread!
Hmmmmm. How is that done?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
hey Irish - love the mother of pearl, that's fantastic.

In the table in original post, can you give me a guestimate of how many decorative nail heads did it take to do the outer portion of the rail, and what the spacing is?

Thanks
Spacing is about 1.5", ~150-160 nails sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperD5 View Post
That inlay is sweet, got any step by step instructions or photos on how you did that?
This was really simple because the pearl dot was exactly 1/2" in diameter, so I cheated a little. I used a 1/2" straight router bit with a plunge router. It took a little while to get the depth right, but it gave me a perfectly round hole to seat the pearl dot in. The straight router bit left a little nub in the center of the hole (no picture, I'll take one when I actually do the real thing), so I cleaned that out with a small detailing wood chisel. After making sure it fit good and flush, I put a little super glue in there, held it down for a while to make sure there was a good bond and let it dry. There wasn't much of a gap around the dot, but I worked in a little wood filler to make sure there were no spaces, sanded the whole thing down to make it 100% level, stained and polyed.

There are a few how-to websites & videos on youtube that describe the inlay process for guitars. The inlays that a lot of those guys use are really detailed - they typically trace the shape of the pearl inlay on their work piece and use a dremel mounted on a router base with a really small cutting bit, then free hand cut the hole for the inlay and clean it up with an exacto knife. Mine was fortunately a lot simpler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables