Generator Review: Champion Generator 7,000 watts. Model 41311 - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,284,220
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Default Generator Review: Champion Generator 7,000 watts. Model 41311

General, comments and pics on a new generator I picked up.
I'm also writing this review in hope that it will help others, as I had a tough time finding any reviews on any one particular generator. Lots of searches for parts, odd problems here and there, etc. but nothing in a 'review' format other than comment boxes on sellers pages, which I trust nearly as much as my Ex.

Product: Champion Generator Model 41311
By Global Power Equipment
Champion Power Equipment

General Specs:
7,000 watts peak / 6,000 running
30 amps current via two 220V legs, or 3600 watts via each leg, or 110V outlet.
389cc engine / 11HP
Electric start
Low THD (less than 5%)
LED lit front panel
Up to 10 hours run time at 50% load
2 year limited warranty

From the Mfg's Site:
The Champion Power Equipment 41311 gasoline powered, electric start portable generator is powered by a 389cc Champion single cylinder, 4-stroke OHV engine that produces 6000 running watts and 7000 starting watts. With a 6.5 gal. fuel tank this unit can run up to 10 hours at 50% load. Our OHV engine is equipped with a low oil shut-off sensor and designed for long life and easy maintenance. This unit is ideal for RV's, trailers, traveling, power tools, jobs around the house, or home back-up power during emergencies.

Specs:
Running Watts
6000 Watts

Starting Watts
7000 Watts

AC Load
120/240V

Phase
Single

Frequency
60 Hz

Engine
389cc Champion OHV

RPM

Fuel Capacity
6.5 gal. (25 L)

Oil Capacity
1.16 qt. (1.1 L)

Recommended Oil
SAE 10W-30

Start Type
Electric, Recoil

Low Oil Shut-off
Automatic

Fuel Gauge
Yes

Intelligauge (Voltage, Frequency, Hours)
Yes

Wheels
10 in. never flat

Choke Type
Manual

Battery
18 Ah/12 volt

Noise Level
74 dBA at 23 ft.

Length
28.8 in. (73.2 cm)

Width
27.7 in. (70.m)

Height
25.4 in. (64.5 cm)

Weight
220.5 lb. (89.5 kg)

Purchased From: Costco

Price Paid: $599

Backstory:
We lost power a few days ago, and a whole house generator has been on our list for some time. So now it was a real issue, right in our face. Procrastinating on buying a whole house generator was real. Notwithstanding spending $6K on a whole house, pull the 5 permits that are required by our Gestapo township, something I can buy off the shelf, and roll out of the garage, plug in, start and power the critical items in our house in a pinch was in order.

First Impressions:
Very happy with it so far. Packed well. Clean, etc. Everything in the box other than fuel to have you up and running. I added some washers to the bottom sides of the rubber feet that you bolt on as the flange bolt provided did grab them, but the more you tightened the nut and bolt, the rubber foot would squirt out and potentially fall off. Simply fix. 2, 7/16 washers and it was done. I also added a few zip strips for wire management. It has an LED lit panel for easy use / starting / plugging in while dark. Oil, funnel, wheel kit, etc. was all included.

First Use: Once I got it put together and gassed up, I turned the key and it started immediately. I ran it for about 15 minutes before putting any load on it. It's not terribly noisy, but it's not quiet. 74db @ 10' I think the manual says. I hooked a few things up to it and used them for a bit. Leaf blower, other electric tools, etc. No hesitation from it. I wanted to use the 220V circuit so I hooked up the welder and burnt a few pieces of scrap steel together. My welder pulls 20 amps, so it was a fair test, albeit short.

Pretty happy with it in general. I looked at Briggs units, Rigid, Generac, Honda, Harbor Freight, Coleman, and other off brands. and ended up with this. I could have spent more on something like a Honda, or less, with a China Freight unit. Granted, this is made in China, looking at it side by side with the HF version, it looks, feels, and seems better built.

For my needs right now, it will work. In a couple years, we'll probably go with the whole house that will truly run the entire house. For now, this will easily do my sump pumps (2), furnaces (2), well (220v), refrigerators (2), Freezer Chest, and a handful of lights and essentials in the house.

If I don't update this thread in absolute rage, that means it worked well for the next unannounced power outage.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,391,933
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Generator Review: Champion Generator 7,000 watts. Model 41311

I've got a Champion generator as well, I think it's the next size down from what you've got here. The key start is a nice feature, mine typically takes a few cranks to get going. Does the job, they're nice generators for the price. Not as quiet as a Honda but good for emergency or yard work.

Review added to the Tools Review Sticky.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Badministrator

Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Runs like a top.
Power's been out since about 8pm and estimated to be out all day tmrw.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,026,561
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Pawn shops have lots of generators....

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Badministrator

Still on gen power.
Peeps in the hood would sloooooow down driving past last night with all the other houses dark, and mine lit up like a Christmas tree.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,606,307
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps

why dint you just go to wedge's? brian knows where the spare key is.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Badministrator

S. of 8 mile.
Fuck that.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,026,561
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Seven is south of 8 Mile... Don't tip toe around it. You got something to say, say it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Badministrator

Look. I'm just trying to keep it real.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Team BCM

Chips: 70,265,606,307
Seven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimpsSeven is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge Rock View Post
I'll be back Sunday... late Saturday if Seven blows me off again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
S. of 8 mile.
Fuck that.
Ray Charles could see it. We don't roll with RRA peeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out