First pokertable build follow-up with pics - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables

Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 60,958
Nick has a spectacular aura about
Default First pokertable build follow-up with pics

Hi all,

Soooo, at the end of march I started thinking of making my own pokertable. This is a follow-me post because at the moment I’m still working on the table. At the start I did’t took a lot of pictures but I’ll post those I have and will give explanation in between.

After reading a lot on forums and websites, and after finding some time I started planning around the beginning of april. After all the information, I made some difficult decisions about size, racetrack, materials, cup holders and tried to find all the materials. Some I ordered on the internet and some I found in local shops.

The goal is:
- a table for 6-8 persons
- 1m80 x 1m, 2 sheets, one for the mainboard and one for the railing
- strong & stable
- legs should be detachable and flat (so I can store them on top of each under the kickertable)
- raised rail with light
- full black suited poker cloth, no racetrack
- not decided on the color of the rail.
- no drinks on the table but cup holders in separate drink stands
- as cheap as possible for the goal I’m going for

So first things first. Start with the most important thing! Think first, then start! I think it’s the most important step for a project like this.

1) Drawing table and legs

I figured out the best way is starting with the legs because you have to find a way to attach them to the board with the cloth and railing out of the way. I had some leftover multiplex 18mm (from previous work in the house) and wanted to use those to make the legs. I took all the sizes of the leftovers and made an exact copy on millimeter paper. Everything scaled down to 1/10 (1cm = 10 cm). They were going to be 65cm width and 65cm in height. In two parts because the leftovers weren’t large enough.

You should also make an exact small drawing of the table with rail and raised rail, top view en side view. From the moment I knew what I wanted and how I could make it with the wood I had, It was time to actually start cutting, finally…

2) Cutting table and legs
22.04.2010:
I took the drawings to the multiplex I had and took out the legs
This is how it looked.

I made the table, the attachment for the legs on the table(with t-nuts) and cut out the railing. I did a first assembly of the legs with table.

3) First assembly
I still had to mount a piece between the two legs the table was very shaky. I slept a night thinking what to do with it.

I decided to make the 90degree between table en legs to make it less shaky. I used the 4 corner pieces that were left from cutting out the main oval board. Two on the one leg, and two on the other leg. I fortified the bottom part of the legs with a cutout from the leftover sheet of multiplex. The one I used for the railing. So now the leg is 2x18mm multiplex thick. I also placed the wooden bar between the two legs. I did this by taking out a part of the first multiplex of the two, on bots legs. This way, the bar will lay on the leg, instead of just screwing it to the leg. So when people put there feet on it, the weight presses on the entire leg en not just on the screws.

When I turned the table with the legs on the ground I couldn’t believe it. It was a huge difference! The table isn’t going anywhere, is very strong and doesn’t shake at all. I also placed the railing on top, just to see how it looks. I know, some bolts are to long and will need a cut. Don’t mind the color either, one side of the multiplex for the legs was already painted. This will be covered on the last sanding/painting .

Positioning the parts for the raised rail

Raised rail

Glueing them together

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 1,634,245
monkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of lightmonkey_booger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: First pokertable build follow-up with pics

Looking good!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,619
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Very nice!
Looking forward to seeing the final product!
Nice work indeed.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
"C" Cup

Chips: 55,987
wyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimpswyatt880 is the pimp of pimps

Looks good!

Great use of the left over corner pieces.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Thread Killer

Chips: 34,377
JCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant futureJCinPA has a brilliant future

Interesting! Off the beaten path, for sure, but looking very good. I can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:37 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 990,848,360
mikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to behold

Looks good...might want to invest in a few more clamps though
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,029,255
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

leg system should be plenty sturdy and no significant wobble...I am all for overengineering! good work.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
"D" Cup

Chips: 990,848,360
mikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to beholdmikeneron is a splendid one to behold

Do you have a router with a roundover bit? Tip I learned was to roundover all the edges of the rail. Will make it a lot easier to stretch out the vinyl and reduce the risk of having the sharp edge cut it...plus will just be that much more comfortable for players leaning their arms on the rail.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Training Bra

Chips: 60,613
NCGrimbo is a pretty cool catNCGrimbo is a pretty cool cat

I'm digging the leg system. That's going to be a nice table when it's done.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
"D" Cup

Chips: 38,265
Joe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimpsJoe Bass is the pimp of pimps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt880 View Post
Looks good!

Great use of the left over corner pieces.
That's all kinds of awesome.

X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Poker, Gaming, and Other Tables