Converting a Freezer to a Fridge or Kegerator - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else

Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,145
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps
Default Converting a Freezer to a Fridge or Kegerator

Came across this little goodie and figured it would be useful here, as well for the kegerator peeps.

DIY: Eco-responsible super fridge
by Dave Freeman on August 17, 2009

One of the problems with modern society going “green” is that many of our appliances are inherently inefficient. Take for example the refrigerators and freezers that many of us use. A vertical fridge/freezer combination just isn’t that energy efficient, even if it is “energy star” rated. Most fridges waste upwards of 365 kWh a year. So what can be done?

So what’s a more effective alternative to your current fridge? Look no further then the basic chest freezer. Since cold air sinks, chest freezers have long been known to be a more efficient freezing solution, but what about refrigeration? Heaven knows you don’t want to freeze your tofu. One clever solution is to replace the thermostat with one designed to shut off the motor on the freezer, allowing you to better control the cooling without freezing your food unintentionally. Properly set up, you can less energy to cool your food for a day than a 100-watt incandescent bulb does in an hour. So no only will you help the environment, but you’ll save money too.

Even better than that with a little digging around, I came across this goodie:
Digital Temp. Controller All the brain work is taken out of it. Plus this into your wall, plug the freezer into this, and poke the probe into the freezer. Turns the freezer on and off at the programmed temps (high / low) and bypasses the freezers thermostat all together.

Enjoy this, and the many other tid bits I bring you, while the forum is still free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chest_fridge.jpg (9.0 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by Quads; 12-09-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 AM
"C" Cup

Chips: 60,443
Bullfrog is a name known to allBullfrog is a name known to allBullfrog is a name known to allBullfrog is a name known to allBullfrog is a name known to all
Default Re: Converting a Freezer to a Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
Enjoy this, and the many other tid bits I bring you, while the forum is still free.
hehe
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 100,025,162
Wedge Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

Only downside is that those chest freezers don't have the shelf-space for organization required of a typical fridge. Sure, it'd be great for a keg and/or canned beer/soda, but I can't see putting eggs, a couple of gallons of milk, tub of butter, left over pizza, etc. in there.

The stacking my wife does now already drives me crazy!

Last edited by Wedge Rock; 12-10-2009 at 10:12 AM..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 1,854,908,028,613
j p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimpsj p frog is the pimp of pimps

I would assume the insulation in a freezer would be better than in a refridgerator so it makes sense. I would guess that an upright freezer would have some savings, just not the amount that a chest freezer would. Interesting idea.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Badministrator

Chips: 13,824,283,145
Quads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimpsQuads is the pimp of pimps

Yes, ideally you'd do this with a stand-up version, unless you had a very specific need for a chest freezer. We bought a chest version at a garage sale for a smoking deal. (10 cents on the retail dollar for a 6 month old unit) and loved it for the first week or two. Once we get back from Costco after stocking it, I realized how much a pain in the ass a chest freezer is.

And yes, the insulation properties are much better on a freezer, thus making this full of win to buy / convert a freezer to a fridge. Specially for bars, hom(ie) brewers, etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 76,809
Aust1227 is a splendid one to beholdAust1227 is a splendid one to beholdAust1227 is a splendid one to beholdAust1227 is a splendid one to beholdAust1227 is a splendid one to beholdAust1227 is a splendid one to behold

This is what I have used for my kegerator, and I think I have a full review of the Johnson Controller located in that page. The insulation value of the freezer is pretty darn good!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 540,255,924
Scuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to beholdScuba_Dave is a splendid one to behold

We bought a "commercial" no frills 11 cu ft freezer for about $150 at Lowes
It uses very little energy
We have to manually defrost it once a year

Old 12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Plastic Surgeon

Chips: 86,739
Blake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimpsBlake is the pimp of pimps
Send a message via ICQ to Blake Send a message via AIM to Blake Send a message via Yahoo to Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust1227 View Post
This is what I have used for my kegerator, and I think I have a full review of the Johnson Controller located in that page. The insulation value of the freezer is pretty darn good!
Slight thread jack, Aust is your freezer wide enough to hold a keg or pony keg? I'm thinking of doing one of these but need it to fit pony kegs for the occasional family gather when all they drink is "miller light"

Only Once Live You - Yoda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Inside the Man Cave > Wet Bars, Kegerators, Neon, and Everything Else