Product Review: Bilsom Impact Earmuffs - The Perfect Man Cave
The Perfect Man Cave  

Go Back   The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out

Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 93,224,501
herta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimpsherta28 is the pimp of pimps
Default Product Review: Bilsom Impact Earmuffs

PROS:
Lightweight
Adequate noise abatement
Aux input

CONS:
Minimal volume control
Sound amplification negated when using ipod

BACKGROUND:
I work in a very noisy environment. I work in a big shop where all of the routine maintenance is performed on various amusement park ride vehicles. Our shop includes a dedicated machine shop and weld shop. My immediate work area is right next to the weld shop where lots of grinding goes on. I felt the need for some heavy duty hearing protection…something a little more than ear plugs. I picked up the Bilsom Impact ear muffs from Grainger. After about a week of steady use, I can say I really like these! While they are quite comfortable, featuring a fully adjustable head strap and padded ear cups, I’ve noticed that after prolonged use, my head gets a bit itchy when wearing a hat, but it’s minimal. One of the big features is sound amplification/noise cancellation. On each ear cup is a microphone that will amplify normal conversation while any sharp, loud noise is cancelled out. It also features an auxiliary input so you can plug in an iPod or other such devices. Unfortunately, the volume control is minimal. The volume knob controls the sensitivity of the microphone. But I guess playing loud music kind of negates the reason for wearing hearing protection, doesn’t it?? Sound quality of the music played is good, not great. But agian, this a hearing protection device, not audiophile headphones. One thing I noticed…when using the iPod, normal conversations aren’t amplified like they are when not using it.

SUMMARY
This product is great for anyone that works in a noisy environment. They’d be great for the home workshop, especially if power tools are used often. The auxiliary input is what sets these apart from everything else. The unit is a little pricey, around $120 (I got lucky…my company pays for all safety-related gear), but what price can you put on protecting your hearing??

RATING
4 out of 5

Last edited by herta28; 05-13-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
"Double D" Fun Bags

Chips: 48,391,933
Irish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimpsIrish is the pimp of pimps
Default Re: Product Review: Bilsom Impact Earmuffs

Nice review Herta, I'll add this to the tool review sticky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Perfect Man Cave > Perfect Man Cave > Other Projects Indoors or Out